Become a Patron!

Remove the Bots in Advocay, create stickies to source material instead.

tombaker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
CASAA and Vaping Militia have Bots going crazy. If you have a human thread, it quickly will get pushed down and away. In Other Advocacy, CASAA's Alex Clark is functioning as Bot, and posting the daily CASAA action plans. I think daily plans, as each a new thread, in a general section, is not good at all. And similarly create a stickies and point to the CASAA webpage with them.

All there things could easily be handled, just by having a sticky at the top directing people to go to those site, and look at those pages.

As it stands now, there is no point to having a discussion. Bots and spams don't discuss back anything.

Also changing Other, to State and Local Laws and Regulations, might be better.

I am sure someone from Vaping Militia is a human, and I don't expect this to be controversial.

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
The bots just post their RSS feed. They wont be pushed down because CASAA doesn't have that many posts in a day. This is the same for the Vaping Militia too.

tombaker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Right, Who needs to see a news feed as an parsed out to and individual Discussion Forum posting. Nobody. If someone wants to subscribe to a news feed, great, they should do it. Right now its just pointless plentyful posts.

Look at Vaping Militia section. One human has posted, and its in the middle of the first page. The bot is tossing in all sorts of useless threads on top. Vaping Militia has a strategy which is keyed to direct line communications out to is active members. The say the are focused on communicating to those they know are listening. Which is why they should either sponser and post the threads, or VU should direct them there.

I am assuming that VU is a discussion forum. And the point is to discuss things. The bot does not talk back, never says a word, and creates thread after thread, never expecting a discussion to take place. Worse yet, if a real human wants this information, there are way better ways of getting the source material.

If I were to post a thread critical of how CASAA is handling the FDA stuff, no update in over 1 month, secret plans not sharing it out, and STILL telling people to not use FreetoVape.org, and still wait for them to put out whatever, with just 10 days before the close of comments. IF say I wanted to put that out. Bots would bury it. 10 days from now, when say 5000 more members arrive. A human wants to see what is going on. The see the entire first page of BOT only garbage. (Garbage as far as content of the source info in many cases)......They won't see my thread sitting out there, they won't reply to it. No discussion.

If you want news feeds, (and I don't think you should. I think you should want human based threads only, if nothing else editorial control)....then put them under NEWS, and call them RSS feeds.

Right now there is only one generic main section for anything FDA or Bans, or Advoacy, and that is being flooded by hand, with Daily Advocacy updates. I can go to the source site, see one page and click on the links I need.....or 20 threads for a single month. CASAA owns ECF already. The owners of ECF told all members to wait for CASAA before saying a word to the FDA. Nows its just a wall of BOT info. Squatters rights I guess.

CASAA's personal Moderators, literally called CASAA Liasion Moderator, closed down 4 of my threads of ECF, and they did this to get them pushed off the first pages.

Point being, maybe this forum won't be a place where people talk about Advocacy, Maybe it will. But it will start with some human threads, left alone, and people coming days hours or weeks later, and adding replies. Right now for sure that won't happen. A new users will come on and see a wall of BOT spams, maybe a human post, but nobody much talking. I won't look like something some should add anything to. Lights on, nobody home. And the thread starters won't get replies, and so they will just move on too.

Either it lives by discussion of humans, or dies by BOT spam of action plan. There is not a third hand.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
agree would hate to have it only for post counts and use of forum.....

tombaker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Its not for post counts for sure, my long winded reply can be boiled down to. I can not have a discussion with a BOT, if the bot is creating a news feed, it does not need a message board. CASAA manually creating a news feed of daily plans (Alex), should be a subscription, not a wall of daily updates in a general section.

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would love to see advocacy happening here! Real advocacy. Last I saw, on twitter, was a letter from casaa asking the fda for a longer extension. I don't know if they have asked us to do the same. I really should be reading the 200+ pages of the regs, but summers are a very busy time for me, and for most others, too. It seems to be getting right down to the wire and not a lot has been done, yet, imho.

tombaker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That the thing, CASAA asked for another extension 3 weeks after the extension was given. If you had to wait that long to even comment on the extension.....why would anyone think your request had a ton of merit? Nobody knows what CASAA is going to do, but they want everyone to wait for them to do it.

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Im not against it but We are still waiting on CASAA to make up their minds if they want a mod for that forum. In that time - we at least are able to inform the readers of the situations at large.

Also none of the RSS posts count to the stats on the board. We have it set up for pure accurate stats.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i think what OP is suggesting is to parse out the bot Feed to a sub- separate section. which would allow human threads more page one time. within each area.

example:

Home>Vaping Militia>Rss Feed post
Home>Vaping Militia>Human created threads

tombaker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i think what OP is suggesting is to parse out the bot Feed to a sub- separate section. which would allow human threads more page one time. within each area.

example:

Home>Vaping Militia>Rss Feed post
Home>Vaping Militia>Human created threads
Yes, correct.

VU Sponsors