Become a Patron!

Request for Tips

Hi Everyone

I've been vaping for two months now. My setup is a Joyetech evic 2 mini with a cleito tank. I vape it at 55 watts. I love that mod, and I think it was a great starter tank, but I am now considering getting a new one. Does anyone have suggestions for a good intermediate mod? I would like something with a little better battery life.

I prefer flavor over clouds, so if anyone has any tips on optimizing even my current setup for that, I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Many members here use and enjoy the Smok Alien, a very good 2 18650 mod, just a suggestion.
What coil are you using in your Cleito?

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hi Everyone

I've been vaping for two months now. My setup is a Joyetech evic 2 mini with a cleito tank. I vape it at 55 watts. I love that mod, and I think it was a great starter tank, but I am now considering getting a new one. Does anyone have suggestions for a good intermediate mod? I would like something with a little better battery life.

I prefer flavor over clouds, so if anyone has any tips on optimizing even my current setup for that, I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks.

The eLeaf iPower is 80watts, TC, and has a 5000mah internal battery.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hi Everyone

Thanks.

For flavor on your current mod, try to get a clapton coil. If not (and even if you do) lower your power, reduce air flow, use a small bore tip. You can increase power and air until you find your sweet spot.

Now as far as a new mod goes, since you are already using 55w stepping up to an 80w mod doesn't make much sense. As an example, the ijoy istick 100w (I don't recommend this mod as it has issues with the 510 socket dropping down) has 2 rechargable 18650 cells so lasts quite a while. The cells are in parallel, so total of 6000Mah using the LG HG2 (mentioned below)

LG 18650 HG2 20A 3000 mAh are going to be the longest lasting batteries you can currently get. Higher Mah means longer charge time.

My recommendation, would be something like an Ijoy asolo, 200w. It takes 2 18650 in series (HG2 would give 3000 Mah- but would discharge slower at lower power levels) Some might say 200W is to much, but why spend money to upgrade to a 100w and then 8 weeks later, spend more money for the 200w which would do the job as well now as later. 200w will also allow you to push larger coils built for flavor. Such as dual parallel claptons (heavy coil with a lot of wire, built as a flavor coil) Most of the more popular tanks will over 100w, such as the Smok Baby Beast etc. Just like cooking, it is better to have more than you need than not have enough to go around. IOW, if a 100w will not power the coils you want to use, its a waste of $$$. Now, you don't HAVE to vape at 200w, but I am currently using 136w. The 100w box just won't do that. 200w box will.

Now as to which brand.. members can help out with that. I like the 510 socket on the asolo, it has rings that act like juice dykes, to keep spillage out of the mod a bit better. My next mod will be a Spaghetti or Fushalini or Fugelli... lol whatever its called. LMAO. I'll get it right when i order it.

For flavor on your current mod, try to get a clapton coil. If not (and even if you do) lower your power, reduce air flow, use a small bore tip. You can increase power and air until you find your sweet spot.

Now as far as a new mod goes, since you are already using 55w stepping up to an 80w mod doesn't make much sense. As an example, the ijoy istick 100w (I don't recommend this mod as it has issues with the 510 socket dropping down) has 2 rechargable 18650 cells so lasts quite a while. The cells are in parallel, so total of 6000Mah using the LG HG2 (mentioned below)

LG 18650 HG2 20A 3000 mAh are going to be the longest lasting batteries you can currently get. Higher Mah means longer charge time.

My recommendation, would be something like an Ijoy asolo, 200w. It takes 2 18650 in series (HG2 would give 3000 Mah- but would discharge slower at lower power levels) Some might say 200W is to much, but why spend money to upgrade to a 100w and then 8 weeks later, spend more money for the 200w which would do the job as well now as later. 200w will also allow you to push larger coils built for flavor. Such as dual parallel claptons (heavy coil with a lot of wire, built as a flavor coil) Most of the more popular tanks will over 100w, such as the Smok Baby Beast etc. Just like cooking, it is better to have more than you need than not have enough to go around. IOW, if a 100w will not power the coils you want to use, its a waste of $$$. Now, you don't HAVE to vape at 200w, but I am currently using 136w. The 100w box just won't do that. 200w box will.

Now as to which brand.. members can help out with that. I like the 510 socket on the asolo, it has rings that act like juice dykes, to keep spillage out of the mod a bit better. My next mod will be a Spaghetti or Fushalini or Fugelli... lol whatever its called. LMAO. I'll get it right when i order it.
Thank you very much. I appreciate your response. Thanks everybody.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
BTW. Nitecore is a very good, inexpensive (for the quality and safety). I have a 4 cell unit. 4 batteries charging, 2 in my mod, 1 cell in my mech and 1 cell in a battery condom. I am never without fresh batteries to vape on. (Batteries must be kept in married pairs, or stand alone singles. Don't mix and match. For example, I could not use my 2 singles in my regulated mod, and if i split a paired set, I couldn't use those as a set again. We keep them paired to keep the voltage even across both cells, mainly for safety.

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Many members here use and enjoy the Smok Alien, a very good 2 18650 mod, just a suggestion.
What coil are you using in your Cleito?
+1. Alien 220 was my 2nd mod and I used it for months. It will a huge variety of coils, with every tank/dripper I've thrown at it, except a few custom builds below 0.1 ohms which was my fault. Lol

"Some people call me a redneck, and some people call me a hick, some people call me an asshole, and some people call me just dick. I'm a hellbilly."

HellbillyRJ

Thanks for your flavor tips. I reduced my wattage, and closed my air flow to 1/3, and you were right, bang on. The flavor is really there. AS for a new mod, when I'm ready, I think I'm going to go with the Smok alien 220w. It's readily available at my local vape shop.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thanks for your flavor tips. I reduced my wattage, and closed my air flow to 1/3, and you were right, bang on. The flavor is really there. AS for a new mod, when I'm ready, I think I'm going to go with the Smok alien 220w. It's readily available at my local vape shop.
no prob. Smok alien seems to be a popular mod, and 220W is a good step up as a next mod.

Since you are advancing, you might want to look at building your own coils. Start simple. Your 4 basic builds are

1 Single wire staple coil (single or dual coils - dual coils run at 1/2 the resistance so 2x 1ohm coil = 0.50 ohm. So your lowest single coils should be not lower that 0.25 (if you plan on using 2) *allows for some wiggle room to stay above your mods min resistance- probably 0.10 min*)
2 Parallel wire staple coil. Same as 1 but you wrap 2 wires instead of 1 (each coil is half the resistance, like it were 2 coils, and 2 of these would be half again. (think quad coil basically))
3 Single wire staple clapton. This is where you wrap a thinner strand of wire around 1 strand of core wire to make your coil. The wrap does not count for any resistance, but gives more flavor (same as a single coil in 1... it will look like a guitar string (clapton.. get it?)
4 Dual core clapton. Just like 3 but use 2 core wires. Resistance is halved, traps more juice for more flavor, but takes more power to heat.

Ignore 2, 3 and 4 to start with. Get comfortable with 1 then worry about getting fancy.

Not everyone likes building coils and some just dont want to. Thats fine too.

Warning.. coil building leads to shinyitis... an addiction to buying new atomizers, piling them up and crouching over them, chanting "Precious... MY Precious!!!"

no prob. Smok alien seems to be a popular mod, and 220W is a good step up as a next mod.

Since you are advancing, you might want to look at building your own coils. Start simple. Your 4 basic builds are

1 Single wire staple coil (single or dual coils - dual coils run at 1/2 the resistance so 2x 1ohm coil = 0.50 ohm. So your lowest single coils should be not lower that 0.25 (if you plan on using 2) *allows for some wiggle room to stay above your mods min resistance- probably 0.10 min*)
2 Parallel wire staple coil. Same as 1 but you wrap 2 wires instead of 1 (each coil is half the resistance, like it were 2 coils, and 2 of these would be half again. (think quad coil basically))
3 Single wire staple clapton. This is where you wrap a thinner strand of wire around 1 strand of core wire to make your coil. The wrap does not count for any resistance, but gives more flavor (same as a single coil in 1... it will look like a guitar string (clapton.. get it?)
4 Dual core clapton. Just like 3 but use 2 core wires. Resistance is halved, traps more juice for more flavor, but takes more power to heat.

Ignore 2, 3 and 4 to start with. Get comfortable with 1 then worry about getting fancy.

Not everyone likes building coils and some just dont want to. Thats fine too.

Warning.. coil building leads to shinyitis... an addiction to buying new atomizers, piling them up and crouching over them, chanting "Precious... MY Precious!!!"
At the moment, I am not interested in building, but down the road, who knows? I got the alien, and I was wondering, as I am still fond of my cleito tank, can I use it on my Alien mod?

excellent. Thank you.
I am blown away about how much difference a mod can make in flavor production, even when powering the same tank. :)

I would like to go back, and throw some of the juices I've tried, and just thought were, meh, in there, and try them now.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
At the moment, I am not interested in building, but down the road, who knows? I got the alien, and I was wondering, as I am still fond of my cleito tank, can I use it on my Alien mod?

A mere word of experience suggesting caution. If/when you do desire to start building your own coils, be very aware and cautious with thinner gauged Kanthal wire. I was building with some 32awg and had a small bit slip between pores of skin and enter a finger.

It settled in and I hadn't noticed it until about a week later when the finger looked to have a big 'hill' on its side. the hill itched, was red, hurt a bit. Well, I managed to get the bit of wire out but as it had stayed in as long as it had, (phonetics)[cell u itis] (sic) / blood poisoning had set in.

Granted not everyone may be as klutzy and or dense as myself. I did think however, I was using care in what I was doing. That Murphy fellow and his damnable law seems to catch us, no matter who we are. So, try being very careful with finer gauged wire if/when you start building coils. I fortunately had to go see my LT, Nurse practitioner for a six month check up the next day and she got 'ahead' of the blood poisoning by tossing me a script for a course of anti-bee-otics and admonishments on proper wound care, a shaking of her head and wagging of her finger at me. "Sailor, you're just looking for me to court martial you yet."

She's already set me on to the meandering list by telling me not to life three ton farm tractors. *sighs* At least she knows I'm not a goldbricker, i just go too hard when i go and go numb until I stop for squat. then she sees my wife is a sadist that pokes at me. "Does this hurt?" :)

VU Sponsors