Become a Patron!

Resistance of the actual mech (not the coil)?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
So I've been using mechs for about a year and a half and just purchased a new one. The issue is a bit strange and I can't find anything on google. Using the exact same coil build on the same atomizer, I estimate there is about 0.04 ohm more resistance on the new mechanical vs the other one I use. (based on ramp up of the coil and vapor production) Basically, having used mechanicals for a year and a half, and various resistance, the new mech is performing as if the coil resistance were about 0.04 ohm high. IE.. 0.15 ohm works like a 0.19 ohm build. Which of course affects power, heat, etc.

Every hear of this?

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It is common knowledge that different mods have differing levels of voltage sag. The Coilmaster 521 Tab and the 521 Tab Plus both have an attachment so that you can attach your mod to the tab, then attach your atomizer to the deck of the tab. This allows you to measure the voltage sag of your mechs. Depending on the resistance of the materials used in the circuit some mods have more sag than others.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sure many things in mechs that can effect their internal resistance.
Some can be blamed on designs but mostly it is cleaning issues.
Of course silver plated contacts and such helps to drop the resistance and cleaning requirements.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Sure many things in mechs that can effect their internal resistance.
Some can be blamed on designs but mostly it is cleaning issues.
Of course silver plated contacts and such helps to drop the resistance and cleaning requirements.

Yeah, i knew about the cleaning... but it's brand new.. lol. I'll give it a good cleaning anyway, just in case there is some factory residue present.
I was basically just confirming that the material could affect power to the coil by that much. 0.04 ohm is quite a chunk of power loss. 19 watts between 0.19 ohm and .015 ohm. (72w vs 91w... so about 22%)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, i knew about the cleaning... but it's brand new.. lol. I'll give it a good cleaning anyway, just in case there is some factory residue present.
I was basically just confirming that the material could affect power to the coil by that much. 0.04 ohm is quite a chunk of power loss. 19 watts between 0.19 ohm and .015 ohm. (72w vs 91w... so about 22%)
Per Mooch aside from the battery contacts and switch mechanism the body material makes no real difference.
Aluminum, Brass, copper, SS no real difference as the mass is too great. It is a HUGE conductor so the resistance is low in the body.

How well the threads mesh and if they are clean, etc does make a difference.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
  • Get an inline Voltage meter to measure he drop
  • Always do a deep cleaning with a new Mech
  • Use Deoxit Gold on the threads and contacts

VU Sponsors