Become a Patron!

resistance question

Hello
I have a really hard time understanding why a lower resistance coil would pull more battery life. I recently bought some fused clapton 2x28ga + 32ga and build a dual coil of 7 wraps and it came out with 0.30ohm. My atomizer got really hot after like 3 good hits and the ramp up time was pretty long. So today i build two new coils of 5 wraps and came out with 0.21 ohm. Both dual coils were build on a 3mm rod. I notice i get alot less ramp up time on the 5 wraps and way less heat on the atomizer wich makes me wonder. Why would a bigger coil put less stress on a battery then a smaller one? I would think the larger the coil need more power to heat up :/ Im sorry for the dumb question that most likely has been answered multiple times but i cannot find anything that makes any sence to me ^^ Thanks in advance!

Im using a voopoo drag with 2 x vtc5's. I just cannot understand why the smaller coils would take more power from the batteries. With the smaller coils i have way less ramp up time and the atomizer almost doesnt get warm anymore. You would say the longer the coil the more the electricity it needs. I feel so stupid becouse all the info is out there but it doesnt click in my brain :D

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if you set the wattage the same for both. the smaller coil will heat up much faster as it has less mass to heat.

Claptons have a longer ramp up time due to more mass than round wire builds.

with both coils if set to the same wattage the current draw from the battery will be the same.

Last edited:
So a smaller coil requires less wattage to heat up wich means less amp is being pulled. That brings me back to square one not understanding the whole thing. If a large coil (high resistance) requires more wattage this mean you wil eventually use more amps. Why they say you need to watch out with low resistance coil with mech mods becouse you wil pull to much amps? I think i wil need to put this to rest becouse i wil never understand this whole thing :(

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yes larger mass coils meant more wattage needed to heat up in a timely fashion.
if using wattage mode resistance has little to do with it in a regulated mod.

VU Sponsors