Become a Patron!

Rev-Tech GTS 230w Review

karacal

Member For 4 Years
Good evening fellow vapors,

I purchased a new device for my birthday and waited for the new Firmware update to review it, plus, I really wanted to spend a lot of alone time with it(I do love this one just don't tell my Finder DNA ;)

Ok, off we go,

This is the new GTS 230w, 1 of 3 new devices, by a new company called Rev-Tech which started early this year.(www.rev-tech.com)

(Just to add, I did contact Rev-Tech before I received this device and to be honest they have fantastic customer service, responsive, informative, and QUICK!)

20171213_222039-jpg.705817

What you receive in the box;
1 x GTS 230w Mod
1 x USB Charger Cable
1 x REV Key Change
1 x User Manual
20171213_222231-jpg.705819

The Dimensions are;
94mm X 55mm X 32mm

Specifications are;
Modes: Power/VT(Ni200, SS, Ti), TCR(M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, and M6), Bypass, and Preheat

Battery Capacity; 2 X 18650

Wattage; 5w to 230w

Resistance Range; 0.08-3.0ohm

Voltage Range; 0-8.5v

Dashboards; 5
20171213_225135-jpg.705821

Custom Colors; 10
20171213_225225-jpg.705823

To change you screen colors just 1 click of the M button from your main screen and you can cycle through the colors.

Screen Saver Analog Clock(top Hour/Minutes, bottom Seconds)
20171213_225007-jpg.705827

The GTS has does have a Lock/Unlock feature which I find very useful.(3 clicks of the Fire button)
The body of the device is neither light nor heavy, its a nice in between weight(doesn't feel cheap at all)

The 510 is purposely raised(by Rev-Tech) so that you wont scratch the device when screwing on your Atty. The gap is very slight which some users may/may not like depending on your opinion, I don't like my devices scratched.

The Power mode is responsive as are all the buttons, very clicky, no rattles!

The Preheat was changed with v2.16, it now maxes out at 100w and 5 seconds!
20171213_224747-jpg.705831

The Bypass mode I used a dual Kanthal build in a SC Arominizer ohming out at 0.57 and works great!

Each time you change Atty's you will need to press the + and - buttons simultaneously to set the resistance.

The Temperature Control I tested using a VV Govad with a single SS Fused Clapton coil at 0.21@426F with Watts at 66. Now to change the Watts you will need to go into the Menu to Power and set it. I also tried the Ni200 using a Freemax Scylla with a 0.25 Ni200 DVC coil, great results with both!

20171213_223643-jpg.705829

The TCR I used again with the same Govad and 0.21 coil setting it at 0.0092, worked great!

The Battery door is all metal with 3 pretty strong magnets holding it in place so no worries about it accidentally popping open.

The Main Menu screen gives you several options and is where you would actually turn the device off. (5 clicks of the Fire button will not turn it off.)
20171213_225119-jpg.705837

Navigating the Menu system is actually very easy, the Screen brightness seems a bit dim in direct light but otherwise is quite an impressive display.

Out of the box I was very impressed with such a new device from a newer company. Having all the functions WORK straight out of the box, hardly ever happens.

I personally would recommend this device to anyone(MTL or DTL) since all of its Bells and Whistles work great, will hold up to a 30mm(overhang is from the sloped curvature of the device)The color screen with the dual battery meters that change color when they deplete a plus(I like to know, me personally). The TCR/Power/TC/Bypass all of it works wonderfully.

And just to give you a size comparison here it is with the Smok Alien.
20171214_000126-jpg.705841

I know the screen is kinda gimmicky to some, a conversational device definitely, but for the $60 I paid for it at Eightvape and the fact that it does what it says, then who really cares, right? LOL

Thank you for taking the time to read the review, I hope it helps.

Vape Safe, Vape Happy, Vape On!

Anthony

Last edited:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the informative review. I was wondering about this mod, this really helps

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I tried to update to V2.16 and the mod started going bonkers.... screen went white, then blank.. tried to do a emergency recovery, goes through the whole process and switches off and will not turn back on again... any idea how to get into the mod to replace the SOS file?

karacal

Member For 4 Years
I tried to update to V2.16 and the mod started going bonkers.... screen went white, then blank.. tried to do a emergency recovery, goes through the whole process and switches off and will not turn back on again... any idea how to get into the mod to replace the SOS file?
I personally haved never heard of this happening so I ran it by Rev-tech, awaiting a reply.
Are you using a PC or Mac?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

karacal

Member For 4 Years
Here is the reply from Revtech.

"Hi..when screen went white, then blank after update to latest firmware..actually that mods is prototype version and can't update"

You may want to contact them directly for further assistance.
Hth

karacal

Member For 4 Years
They just replied again, guess there was a fix for you.

"Hi sorry I spoke to the team here actually after installing the new firmware you need to hold down the menu button go to factory reset and reset the mod , even if the screen is fuzzy . So when you did the recovery it totally killed it. You needed to have done factory reset twice to complete the process"

Hth

They have tried to help me sort it out and it still not working, if I hold down the +&- button remove the bats and re insert them, the mod tries to do a recovery. But it seems that the SOS recovery file might not be on the mod anymore, thus I need to find a way to get into the mod to dump the SOS file and try the reset again. I thought maybe there might be another way to access the mod to dump firmware, obviously not :(

karacal

Member For 4 Years
They have tried to help me sort it out and it still not working, if I hold down the +&- button remove the bats and re insert them, the mod tries to do a recovery. But it seems that the SOS recovery file might not be on the mod anymore, thus I need to find a way to get into the mod to dump the SOS file and try the reset again. I thought maybe there might be another way to access the mod to dump firmware, obviously not :(
That's not good, In that case, if it's still under warranty, I would ask them what they are going to do to fix it for you.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Did you format the drive on the mod and copy in the new files?

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
- Firmware update .
- (Note never do a sos recovery unless advised by technical support )
- for use with windows based pc / laptop only
- when upgrading the firmware on the device .
- First turn off the device and attach device to pc/laptop with the usb cable provided. ( Never unplug the device from computer until update process is complete )
- Find the device on the pc laptop and format the device deleting everything on the device .
- Once deleted go to our website www.rev-tech.com and go to support and then to firmware updates please select the model you want to update and download the file .
- (Never update the wrong file to the device)
- Once the file is downloaded , extract the file , there will be two files inside . Installation guide and firmware .
- click on the firmware file inside will be two files media and upgrade copy paste both of these files into the device .
- Once download is completed fully safely remove the device from pc/ laptop and disconnect the device .
- Turn on the devise by hitting the fire button 5 times ,
- ( note the screen may appear distorted this is normal, and or the update process may start automatically depending on the firmware you was using previously )
- Enter the menu by holding the M button for two seconds and navigate and select factory reset this should restart the device and begin the update process .
- ( note when restarting the device if you get a version error message , do a SOS recovery “ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE VER ERROR MESSAGE “ by simply remove the batteries while hold down the +\- buttons and reinsert the batteries and then release the +\- buttons after a few seconds , for sport hit the reset button under the panel ,this should take the mod into recovery mode , and will ask you to copy the data by PC , you would at this point need to re install the new firmware again following the steps provided if however you cannot get into recovery mode you can try to do the sos recovery again until you get to recovery mode )
- Once updated we recommend to check the firmware in factory reset and to reset a second time .
- (Note always do a factory reset once you update the firmware we recommend to do this twice, by holding down the M button and scrolling down to factory reset and selecting Yes to restart the mod )
- Finally Enter the menu go to any TC mode setting example power SS - 316 - C and then go back to the dashboard display , connect any tank and hold +\- buttons together to check and lock the resistance . You only need to do this once after a update , your now good to go .

If you are not happy with the firmware you can always down grade to earlier versions of the firmware by going to https://www.rev-tech.com/assets/firmware/ .

VU Sponsors