Become a Patron!

Revolver Reloaded 2 Clone Spring Replacement

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, the spring on my RR2 is giving out to the point of having to adjust the battery rattle screw completely out of its threads and I was wondering where I might pick up a comparable replacement spring or upgrade to magnets.
I’m not needing an exact replica of what I have and it doesn’t even have to be from a vape place...I work at a hardware store, but the only springs that would come close to working are these
447816c9714252b7a562c3b922daa257.jpg
755f437b2cec96df119290d40c3b0b7f.jpg

But these contain Zinc and I’m not sure if the spring would generate enough heat to cause toxic elements to come out of it.
Here are some pics and measurements...if anyone knows of a nationwide store or a general idea of what type of store to look in, it would be greatly appreciated
9908602889eee5e3ba3a78dbe11f887f.jpg
c0b9b98d97f2ddc940ba6a4ae4e40b82.jpg

Looks like a half inch across
6303989c84f372335a0a0b8ef3fb7e95.jpg
140aadc732429a0a2aa862b6be6c1358.jpg

That’s the disc portion of the button with the post the spring/magnet needs to fit around
c6f5be94ec93315f0f75393101b4d914.jpg

And this is where the spring (or opposing magnet) would need to be...looks to be an inch across with a half inch hole in the middle of it.
I’m preferring a quick solution I can take care of locally in some way, but if I have to order something and play the waiting game, so be it.
Thanks in advance!

How dare you incinerate that I don’t know how to use big words!

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you can get some 18 gauge solid copper wire you can make a spring from copper. I've been making them recently. They are more conductive, but they have a different feel than a steel spring. I have also successfully used 14 and 20 gauge but 18 seems to be the best.

I don't know anything about the safety of zinc. If you want to stick with steel it might be better to get some SS mechanics wire or something that doesn't have any zinc and just spin your own up.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I am speaking generally here, but I find it difficult to believe enough heat could be generated in the spring end of the mod to cause it to become hot enough to leech any form of metal enough to be alarmed about.

Even building super low with a strong current and chain vaping that should never get extremely hot to the point of leeching toxic amounts of metal.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you can get some 18 gauge solid copper wire you can make a spring from copper. I've been making them recently. They are more conductive, but they have a different feel than a steel spring. I have also successfully used 14 and 20 gauge but 18 seems to be the best.

I don't know anything about the safety of zinc. If you want to stick with steel it might be better to get some SS mechanics wire or something that doesn't have any zinc and just spin your own up.

Fucking awesome advice! I went to the competition of my work (because I’m off today and refuse to walk into that place off the clock) and picked up some 18ga copper and came home and started using random sized objects to wrap around to make into Springs....turns out a standard Sharpie is the best for for that mod in case anyone needs to know
8fc0695ed634779affb75911b7b5a1cb.jpg

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fucking awesome advice! I went to the competition of my work (because I’m off today and refuse to walk into that place off the clock) and picked up some 18ga copper and came home and started using random sized objects to wrap around to make into Springs....turns out a standard Sharpie is the best for for that mod in case anyone needs to know
8fc0695ed634779affb75911b7b5a1cb.jpg

Haha you've been busy! Just a bit of advice, copper gets harder as you work it. If you find the springs are too soft or aren't holding their springiness try methodically bending the wire and twisting it with the drill. You can also give the wire texture with pliers or a hammer to give it more strength as well.

Also, you can buy .925 silver wire online fairly cheap ($50 for 10' or so).

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haha you've been busy! Just a bit of advice, copper gets harder as you work it. If you find the springs are too soft or aren't holding their springiness try methodically bending the wire and twisting it with the drill. You can also give the wire texture with pliers or a hammer to give it more strength as well.

Also, you can buy .925 silver wire online fairly cheap ($50 for 10' or so).

Nah, not that busy...I build coils, so, it was second nature to make Springs.
Thanks for the ideas on improving rigidity, because it does seem to lose springiness fairly quickly and easily and the throw on this Button Assembly is shallow as hell, but the screw that pushes the battery up is very short, so, I can’t wrap more than 3 or possibly 4 wraps, otherwise the spring is fully compressed without the pin protruding enough to make a connection.
I think when I get back home I’m gonna give a length of copper a spin on the drill, then torch it, spin it through the drill again, texture it up a bit with some soft taps of a ball peen hammer and then use some copper cleaner to get rid of impurities and brighten it back up...then wash it off and see if that doesn’t give me the stiffness/springiness I’m needing for a Button Assembly with such a short throw but needing maximum tension from the spring.
Again, thanks for the advice!

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You might know this already I couldn't tell from your post. When you heat copper it makes it really soft. In order to make it hard again you need to work the shit out of it.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might know this already I couldn't tell from your post. When you heat copper it makes it really soft. In order to make it hard again you need to work the shit out of it.

Oh, I know...the intention is to make it more malleable and play and tinker around with it. I have no use for 14 pounds of 18ga copper...it’s just giving me an excuse to play with fire and half-ass justify it

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was thinking that flattening the wire would allow you to add more wraps to distribute the weight across more wire. I haven't tried it yet. Wrapping it would probably be difficult but I think it would have more spring to it.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Found a solution that seems to have worked longer than any of the other methods I tried. I took a length of copper wire and spun it on the drill and it snapped in half. Coiled up the two equal sections and then shuffled them together (like shuffling a deck of cards) into a single coil
ef5007e31bf02710415624095cfa95fb.jpg

4c90c35ef492d7e8828749575f466e89.jpg

The extra tension of multiple springs keep the tension tight enough and the overlap of the 2 separate coils allows the throw to go far enough down to push the contact screw out enough to make contact with the battery.
So far I haven’t had to adjust the battery rattle screw or adjust the spring(s) in anyway whatsoever, so, I’m tentatively putting this down as a Win for now.

VU Sponsors