Become a Patron!

Rewicked subtank mini -- but when do I need a new coil wire?

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guys,

I hope its okay I made a new thread about this but I feel the other thread had wound down.

I know that in general, when you start losing flavor or vapor, or if you get a bunch of burnt tasting hits, maybe its time to change atomizer.

Question: I assume rewicking will typically do the job on a rebuildable, yes? If so, when do I need to change the actual coil wire itself?

ive seen pics of people's coils and they are so dark and burned looking that it would seem they need replacing, but they seem fine with it. So maybe just color isnt a big indicator?

John

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
You can soak the whole works. Coil wick and all in (I use a small old pill bottle) with rubbing alcohol.
Shake it up a few times and a day or so later drain the alcohol and wash the coil head(s) (I do 3 or more at a time) then wash out the pill bottle and replace the alcohol with tap water.
Do the same thing, shake them every once in a while and after a day or so take them out and let them dry bottom up over night.
You can get away with doing this 2 or 3 times without replacing anything (cotton or coil).

They come back to at least 80% as good as new.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The wire can last almost indefinite in the stock coils.
I never had much luck replacing the cotton.
It always gurgled and leaked.

Do not, let me say it again DO NOT use rip trippers video for recoiling subtank heads.
The legs on the coil will melt right through the rubber grommet and you will end up with a shorted out coil.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
5150....but when do you know its time to replace the coil wire and stick on a new one?

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
If you're using the rba you can dry burn the coil (with no wick) and then re-wick. I've had coils last for months. Honestly, I usually only replace the coil if I'm trying to get different ohms.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very cool, rolltide ... so do you wipe it down or clean it after dry burning?

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
usually just blow on it. burn, blow, burn blow and it's good to go. I build micro coils, not much space (actually no space) between the coils. Not sure if that makes a difference.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My coils last generally until I get tired of them! Like rolltidevaaper, I just take out the wick, dry burn, and rewick. If the coil is very crudded up I'll dry burn and stick briefly under the tap when it's hot to get rid of any excess crud. Dry burn again to dry out. I've killed coils by being careless and pulling out cotton too aggressively thus distorting the coil!

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Same thing here. It can go from a quick wick change to a huge pain in the ass if you're not careful.

Barkt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Same thing here. It can go from a quick wick change to a huge pain in the ass if you're not careful.
If you want to save the coil, I've found that popping the top cap off, snipping one side of the wick with a pair of scissors and then pulling it out has worked 100% of the time for me.

VU Sponsors