Become a Patron!

Rinsing out the flava

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is a lot of bollosh written about it. I can point out some quick ones
a) Smaller chamber gives better flavour - if that was true, tanks would give the best flavour, especially those with virtually no chamber....but they don't.
b) More clowdz = less flavour - generally more clowdz means more of everything, more flavour, more nic....just moar!!

There is another thing that is vape madness, that is people raving about side airflow in tanks and bottom airflow in RDAs ?? WTF is that all about? Why do people think side airflow 'RDTA' style tanks are better than bottom air but also that bottom air is better in RDAs than side air? It don't make sense.

Good flavour is a side effect of your build. If an atomiser has a larger chamber or more airflow you need to build lower or turn the power up a bit. When you get the balance of the right amount of air and the right amount of vapor you get good flavour. A kayfun achieves that with a high Ω coil because your airflow is restricted and the chamber is the right size for a restricted airflow vape. Put a kayfun style coil in your Goon RDA, it is going to be ...not so good. With a Goon you will want a coil setup that can produce vapor to balance the much bigger airflow and much bigger chamber ...so I would say probably dual coils 3mm id .2Ω-ish is going to chuck out flavour clouds. You will not be able to up the power enough on a kayfun build in there, it won't wick fast enough :D

So most devices can produce good flavour, you need a shockingly bad mix of large chamber with restricted airflow or wicking to really mess up your chances of getting a good flavour cloud (or little tasty puff) out of your device. Those devices do exist but mostly by adjusting your build to match your airflow you can get good tasty vapor from all devices. Woo!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I find the biggest factor in why e-Liquids have not flavor or taste like outright crap is running to much power. I recently started with desert flavors from Backwoods Blends and Suicide Bunny and found more pleasant taste and flavor with less wattage.

If it works for you glad to help if it doesn't well, good luck finding the answer you seek.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's true that smaller chamber doesn't always mean more flavor. My favorite vape is the Achilles, which has a pretty large chamber and very tight draw, but the flavor is SUPREME. I don't know why the flavor is so great -- it does have bottom airflow, which seems best to me for pulling the air directly over the coil and wick... but the large chamber in these attys stumps me, because the draw is VERY tight -- and the flavor is SUPER SATURATED.

Andria

Last edited:

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's true that smaller chamber doesn't always mean less flavor. My favorite vape is the Achilles, which has a pretty large chamber and very tight draw, but the flavor is SUPREME. I don't know why the flavor is so great -- it does have bottom airflow, which seems best to me for pulling the air directly over the coil and wick... but the large chamber in these attys stumps me, because the draw is VERY tight -- and the flavor is SUPER SATURATED.

Andria

If your coil is in the airflow it's gonna be aiight, the air flows pretty much direct from where it comes in to where you draw it out so if your vapor source is in that path it will work. You might lose a teensy bit of vapor circulating around in the chamber but as long as your build suits the airflow and it is in that airflow there is no reason that it will not work :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If your coil is in the airflow it's gonna be aiight, the air flows pretty much direct from where it comes in to where you draw it out so if your vapor source is in that path it will work. You might lose a teensy bit of vapor circulating around in the chamber but as long as your build suits the airflow and it is in that airflow there is no reason that it will not work :)

It works fucking great, no matter what resistance the coil is -- I always build over 1 ohm; used to stay around 1.7Ω but went to 2 ohms or a bit more when I got an iPV Mini, because at first I didn't know it would "step down" to the low wattage I like -- I did later discover how to put it in PWM mode, but I stick with the 2+ ohm coils because they make the battery last so much longer. But the Achilles vapes great either way.

Andria

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It works fucking great, no matter what resistance the coil is -- I always build over 1 ohm; used to stay around 1.7Ω but went to 2 ohms or a bit more when I got an iPV Mini, because at first I didn't know it would "step down" to the low wattage I like -- I did later discover how to put it in PWM mode, but I stick with the 2+ ohm coils because they make the battery last so much longer. But the Achilles vapes great either way.

Andria
I just took a peek at them, looks like a good rda, pretty leak proof as well :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just took a peek at them, looks like a good rda, pretty leak proof as well :)

Totally leak proof... never had a leak from my Achilles that I didn't cause by overfilling it -- if you go over the level of the top of that airhole stack, yep, it'll leak... otherwise, NEVER EVER.

I've got 2 of them, and have been waiting for 6+ months for a clone of the Achilles 2, which keeps not happening.... so last night I launched a campaign to convince my husband that I really need the $96 authentic. :D

Andria

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Totally leak proof... never had a leak from my Achilles that I didn't cause by overfilling it -- if you go over the level of the top of that airhole stack, yep, it'll leak... otherwise, NEVER EVER.

I've got 2 of them, and have been waiting for 6+ months for a clone of the Achilles 2, which keeps not happening.... so last night I launched a campaign to convince my husband that I really need the $96 authentic. :D

Andria
Ha ha - I am with you, I think if it is that good as a clone then the authentic will be even better. $96 don't seem like too much for an authentic if its your favourite device. Gonna last for years and there aren't many MTL rdas coming out any more :) It's a bargain.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ha ha - I am with you, I think if it is that good as a clone then the authentic will be even better. $96 don't seem like too much for an authentic if its your favourite device. Gonna last for years and there aren't many MTL rdas coming out any more :) It's a bargain.

Well.... it's a lot of money; most I've ever spent on a MOD was $55, and it had custom etching on it. :D But if I tuck away $20 for 5 paychecks (2 1/2 months), that'll put me pretty close to my 2 yr no-smoke-a-versary, and pretty well cover it. My husband at first was like 'NO WAY JOSE!' but when I broached it as a potential 2 yr present, and didn't he want to reward me for continuing to not smoke... he got a little more reasonable. :D

Andria

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
+1 on the Cyclone on the Reo. One of my fave's

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you want mo flava, just cut out the middle man and rinse your mouth with joose.
No need 150w with your quad stapled clapton coils anymore. Flava 4 dayz, hell, you don't even need batteries.

Seriously though, smaller chamber = just the concentration of vapor, that's it. Whether that makes "better" flavor or not is purely subjective and depends on a whole punch-list of variables like power source, build, juice, wicking, airflow, etc...

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Urban Dictionary - Rinse Out

Verb - To rinse out.

- To do something as much or as extremely as possible

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe the urbans meant "wringing out"

Somewhat like how "wretched" got mangled into "ratchet" by the kids... and in other circles a ratchet is a gun, as it turns out...

SteamBlower

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The size of the chamber do matter, a s mall coil sitting in a vast, empty space wont produce much flavor. Big chambers requires big coils. Removed my chamber reducer/tank from my K.loud+g, and the flavour went with it. But you do have a point, you have to build to suit the deck, and I dont think the coil cares where the air comes from, as long as it gets good airflow.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The size of the chamber do matter, a s mall coil sitting in a vast, empty space wont produce much flavor. Big chambers requires big coils. Removed my chamber reducer/tank from my K.loud+g, and the flavour went with it. But you do have a point, you have to build to suit the deck, and I dont think the coil cares where the air comes from, as long as it gets good airflow.

It depends on the atty. As noted, the chamber of an Achilles is pretty large, it's a 22mm atty and fairly tall, and I use only a 9 wrap single-coil... and the flavor is so saturated that when I first started using it, I'd feel my lips to see if I was getting ejuice in my mouth -- and I never was, it was just pure flavor. I personally think it's because the draw is so tight, not much air comes in to dilute the flavor.

Andria

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It depends on the atty. As noted, the chamber of an Achilles is pretty large, it's a 22mm atty and fairly tall, and I use only a 9 wrap single-coil... and the flavor is so saturated that when I first started using it, I'd feel my lips to see if I was getting ejuice in my mouth -- and I never was, it was just pure flavor. I personally think it's because the draw is so tight, not much air comes in to dilute the flavor.

Andria

In the case of the achilles it is all to do with the positioning of the coil in relation to the air flow, it is directly in the airflow. The air will be travelling directly from the ingress point (air hole) to the egress point (drip tip) and the rest of the chamber will only be 'turbulent' air - the main flow of air passes around the coil so it will carry the vapor with it. The other one they do (the Prometey II) looks like that airflow would be even more concentrated (directionally) as the egress point is even closer to the coil.

It looks like the original isn't available right now but there is a clone - http://froginfog.com/ecig/rebuildable-atomizer/prometey-v2

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In the case of the achilles it is all to do with the positioning of the coil in relation to the air flow, it is directly in the airflow. The air will be travelling directly from the ingress point (air hole) to the egress point (drip tip) and the rest of the chamber will only be 'turbulent' air - the main flow of air passes around the coil so it will carry the vapor with it. The other one they do (the Prometey II) looks like that airflow would be even more concentrated (directionally) as the egress point is even closer to the coil.

It looks like the original isn't available right now but there is a clone - http://froginfog.com/ecig/rebuildable-atomizer/prometey-v2

The clones aren't available anymore either; that link is to the Prometey, not the Achilles clone. I have a Prometey too, and the flavor is just as good, but the Prometey doesn't have the deep well; it's meant to be used with that fiber fill stuff, which would clog up horribly with my super-gunk ejuice.

But, we recently got our fed tax refund, so I'm very soon going to pop for an authentic Achilles 2 -- that $96 doesn't seem so awful in light of a) actually having the funds for it, and b) this bullshit from the FDA.

Andria

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The clones aren't available anymore either; that link is to the Prometey, not the Achilles clone. I have a Prometey too, and the flavor is just as good, but the Prometey doesn't have the deep well; it's meant to be used with that fiber fill stuff, which would clog up horribly with my super-gunk ejuice.

But, we recently got our fed tax refund, so I'm very soon going to pop for an authentic Achilles 2 -- that $96 doesn't seem so awful in light of a) actually having the funds for it, and b) this bullshit from the FDA.

Andria

I went on titanium mods site @AndriaD and they list everything as out of stock :( but I guess it could be that you have to go through their FB page I don't know. I like a ton of air myself but I also enjoy the right toodle puff if it's good, I think on flavour per ml of juice you can't beat toodle puffs on a good MTL set up.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I went on titanium mods site @AndriaD and they list everything as out of stock :( but I guess it could be that you have to go through their FB page I don't know. I like a ton of air myself but I also enjoy the right toodle puff if it's good, I think on flavour per ml of juice you can't beat toodle puffs on a good MTL set up.

The original Achilles is out of stock, but the Achilles II is available -- http://titanium-mods.com/home/76-atomizer-achilles-full-titanium.html

Not sure of the exact figure, but the last I checked, that 85 Euros is roughly equiv. to $96.

Andria

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Smaller chambers give better flavor. More flavor isn't always a better flavor. Me I go for the best flavor of vapor. Getting more flavor is easy remove bottle cap pour into mouth. I do not like the taste of juice. I do enjoy a good flavored vapor though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors