Become a Patron!

Rixsta's Review Vandy Vape Kylin RTA

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Lets look past the stupid box warnings ..

Machine and overall quality of this RTA is very good, threading seems good and a nice tension on the bottom O ring for the glass (more on that later)

Build and wicking

Love this build deck, so easy to build on, I use the top cap to measure the leads and cut flush with the bottom.

Built some 3mm ID Fused Claptons, 6 wraps, came out at 0.25ohm

I positioned the coils over the end of the bottom airflow so they are pushed out a bit for the side airflow, they are raised slightly so everything lines up.

I used Kendo Gold Edition cotton and cut the cotton flush with the edge of the outer deck, this needs slightly more cotton than some RTA's do. Comb out the wicks and tidy up.

Tuck the cotton into the juice wells, let the cotton find it's own way down, don't over stuff but you want the cotton to completely fill the juice well.

Juice flow control and filling

Top fill, there is no top fill ring the screws onto the chimney, the top cap screws directly on to the glass but the o ring keeps the glass in place, mine has never come off when filling, this is both a con and a pro because it does make it very easy to fill but I would of preferred a top ring if I'm honest.

It wish the juice flow control had a bit more resistance when opening and closing it, it doesn't move when your vaping but it could be better, in saying that, it does it's job and I've had no leaking when filling it up, simply close the AFC and the JFC, fill, screw the top on and open the juice flow and airflow back up and vape. I've had zero dry hits either at higher wattage.

They have bought out a new multi colored version that now has a top ring, i think it's on pre order still..

How does it vape ?

Exceptional, the flavor you get from this is as good as the Aromamizer Plus and beats most, it is fantastic but what I like the most is the airflow, it is so smooth, much better than the Ammit Dual as the two sides of the decks airflow are separate on the Kylin, this gives you a much smoother draw and why I prefer this over the Ammit.

Started out at 75w and stuck at 90w, no leaking or spitback, just a really nice vape, vaping on some whipped berries and you get all the flavor notes. Vapor production is good but that is going to depend on your build but this tank needs big chunky coils I feel.

I used the bigger 6ml extension that comes with the RTA, the 2ml tank, your going to burn through juice in 15 puffs. Mine is the updated version that has an o ring seal on the chimney extension and comes with some colored o rings, hex wrench and grub screws.

I have had zero leaking from the bottom, I know that there has been problems with the juice finding it's way down and getting on the 510 on your mod, this is due to the juice control, I'm not sure whether they have fixed it or I'm just lucky or it's just not happened yet.

Pros

Amazing flavor
Well built and looks nice
25mm at the base or 24.5mm, I have forgotten but it tapers outward, this is done to stop overhang on some mods, some like it, some don't.
6ml extension included
Extra 2ml glass included
Takes Goon drip tips and includes 3 drip tips in the box, all Delrin
Nice build deck, ease of build
Wicks well with no leaks
Beautiful smooth airflow
Juice control

Cons, some subjective

No top fill ring
Juice flow control could have a better tolerance
No extra 6ml glass

Really nice RTA !

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks. I know it's silly, but it is so hard for me to trust reviews done by people who are dependent on the manufacturers for their stuff.

When people spend their hard-earned money on their stuff, I believe they are much more apt to give an honest opinion without having to sugar coat it.
I know, certain vendors ask for a favorable review or they threaten to stop sending them products. Everything I review, I have bought.

I'm vaping the custard bastard in the Kylin and it's amazing.

Good juice if you like that kind of thing but needs a good steep. They sell it in concentrate form or flavour shot in a 120ml bottle.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks Rixsta got this one on the way finally purchased one ...was on the fence to begin with as I was in all honesty a little underwhelmed by the icon (yet to write a review on it) maybe it was the hype that surrounded it built my expectations to levels more than they should have been!

Hopefully I'll get on better with this one :)

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just bought the new blue one. They now come with a top ring.
3c140a35c6f8c1672c8e5ba174295435.jpg

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Rixsta got this one on the way finally purchased one ...was on the fence to begin with as I was in all honesty a little underwhelmed by the icon (yet to write a review on it) maybe it was the hype that surrounded it built my expectations to levels more than they should have been!

Hopefully I'll get on better with this one :)
I have had juice around the 510 this morning, looks like the juice finally made its way out from keep opening and closing the JFC.
Just bought the new blue one. They now come with a top ring.
3c140a35c6f8c1672c8e5ba174295435.jpg

Yup mentioned it in my review ;)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hmmm I'll keep an eye on that rixsta thanks

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I've had nothing but problems with my one rixsta

Leaking like a gooden even with juice control closed it just leaks
IMG_1170.JPG

To top it off I read removing the 510 screw to reseat the positive block helps to combat this leaking, only it didn't help the 510 pin came in two parts? And the hollowscrew sheared away leaving my kylin in a completely unusable state

IMG_1174.JPG

So I got to vape on it for a week...To say I'm pissed off is an understatement

Hope you have more luck with the coloured one Jonny!

Think I'll be staying away from vandyvape products for a while now until they stop releasing products every two bloody weeks and work on thier QC and design instead

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My pin snapped also. Vandy Vape does not respond. This imo is a pretty crappy company. I will stick with Steam Crave :) It really is a shame too as the Kylin does produce very nice flavor and the build deck is a breeze.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
My pin snapped also. Vandy Vape does not respond. This imo is a pretty crappy company. I will stick with Steam Crave :) It really is a shame too as the Kylin does produce very nice flavor and the build deck is a breeze.

I managed to get in touch with them and they sent me a replacement deck ...fingers crossed no issues so far with the latest one!

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@KingPin! can you tell me who you contacted as I have gotten no response. Thanks so much

Last edited:

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the Kylin rainbow edition coming this week which they say has fixed the seeping issue under the 510, apart from that it's be great. Oh and now we have a kidney shaped top cap/ fill cap.

I will get back to you and let you know

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had nothing but problems with my one rixsta

Leaking like a gooden even with juice control closed it just leaks
View attachment 84422

To top it off I read removing the 510 screw to reseat the positive block helps to combat this leaking, only it didn't help the 510 pin came in two parts? And the hollowscrew sheared away leaving my kylin in a completely unusable state

View attachment 84423

So I got to vape on it for a week...To say I'm pissed off is an understatement

Hope you have more luck with the coloured one Jonny!

Think I'll be staying away from vandyvape products for a while now until they stop releasing products every two bloody weeks and work on thier QC and design instead

Not good, I will let you know what I think of the updated version soon.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I have the Kylin rainbow edition coming this week which they say has fixed the seeping issue under the 510, apart from that it's be great. Oh and now we have a kidney shaped top cap/ fill cap.

I will get back to you and let you know

My replacement deck they sent is working like a charm not one leak now i get to experience this atty in its full glory! :)

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Sigh, no response from VandyVape yet. The first email I sent was back in June and I sent another this past Wed. Well, I guess I can always see if anyone has the pin from their old deck they won't need anymore. If anyone has one let me know. I'm more than happy to pay for it. Then again should you run into the problem I had it might be better if you kept it as a spare. I am happy for those of you that got a reply from them. Guess will wait a few more days and see what happens.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Sigh, no response from VandyVape yet. The first email I sent was back in June and I sent another this past Wed. Well, I guess I can always see if anyone has the pin from their old deck they won't need anymore. If anyone has one let me know. I'm more than happy to pay for it. Then again should you run into the problem I had it might be better if you kept it as a spare. I am happy for those of you that got a reply from them. Guess will wait a few more days and see what happens.

Hmmm wonder if an after market pin would work for you? Fastech for instance sells nick nacks or maybe one from another atty might fit?

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have one that kind of works ( Still have some leaking) but I had to pull it from another tank. Really want to put it back :) I looked at Fastech but problem is I am not sure what size to even get. At his point after seeing a lot of negative reviews about their customer service, any that got a resolution are lucky. Seems very hit and miss. I simply will not ever buy any of their products again. Word will start spreading in time. I don't see this company ever excelling. Customer service is everything in this industry. I guess it upsets me as I don't have a lot of vape $$$ to toss around anymore. Fortunately I did already have some nice mods and tanks before the well ran dry HA HA. Meh, it's fine, and thank you very much for all your help

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I'm wondering you know if there is a way for you to sort of measure it

See vandyvape lead designer pulled away from Geekvape take a look at this link Doesn't that look familiar! That avocado pin might do the trick although it's probably too long since the avocado is an RDTA

https://www.myvpro.com/avocado-24-replacement-510-pin-by-geekvape/

They have one for the tsunami as well looks even closer

https://www.myvpro.com/tsunami-22-24-replacement-510-pin-by-geekvape/

Either way I'd look out for Geekvape 510 replacement pins:)

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
awww what a doll you are. I have both an avocado and several Tsunami's...........no go, I tried :(

The pin I am using makes a connection but I get the leaking with it. I'm tempted to set the dang airflow where I want it and put a thin line of super glue around the base seal where it seeps out! LOL

VU Sponsors