https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
SLEEPY. And on that note, I'll be heading off to bed. Work day tomorrow. If you decide you want a candy cane or some grinchy quote, let me know, LOL. Gnite y'all.
Gnite ma'am! Sleep well!

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you seen how kids are tested, and the homework they have now? They go home and have to go online to a google sub-site and get quizzed. They are given questions and then they have to press "check your work", if its wrong then they type in whatever or choose whatever until its correct without the system logging it as a wrong answer or wrong "so many times". They do not have to go back and try again later after studying or working it out the right way. If you dont process something more then once, it usually does not stick. When my daughter showed me how things are done now I couldnt believe it. You dont need to do anything but copy and paste from pages from online, click until your right or search on yahoo answers and your done. Its no wonder why all these kids are passing with high grades yet are as dumb as a door nail. I guess if your not as smart then you can be easily swayed by smarter people-I'm guessing that's the real agenda. There's no real learning anymore, no more reading and taking notes, writing out math, or proof checking by using your own brain and then writing it out to show you learned something, it is all done for you, there's no way you can fail....
That's one way to look at it, and one I wouldn't entirely disagree with. However, I'm also a parent of one of those kids who are expected to do a lot of their homework online. While I still sometimes make her shut the laptop cover and write out her math just to make sure she can do it, and write out her English to make sure she's capable of writing legibly, I also see that she's taking on a lot more in school than I did barely 20 years ago myself.

She's doing algebra as a mid-level math student in 7th grade. When I was a kid, algebra was for the advanced kids in 8th grade and for the average kids in 9th grade (I took it both years because apparently I wasn't as smart as the middle school teachers thought I was). I've been noticing for several years now that schools are expecting a lot more out of kids at a lot earlier age - I fully applaud this. But in some respects, I've come to believe that as the amount of data available to us expands exponentially (we paid for the internet by the hour when I was her age and there wasn't much there even if you could afford to go explore it), the ability to find, use, and manipulate the data you're looking for is going to be as important (if not more so) to the next generation as developing a new data set on your own. There's certainly a use for learning your own multiplication tables and other basics, but there's something to be said for learning to effectively search for information you don't personally possess.

As a writer, I'll sometimes come up with a handful of questions I don't know the answer to in the course of writing a simple 500-to-1000-word article. Being able to find others' research on a topic, and being able to discern whether I'm finding results from a reputable or questionable source, is much more valuable to me than gathering my own research from the ground up on every single subtopic I may need to cover.

I guess what I'm saying is that unless your goal is to become an expert at something like bridge building, you'd be better served in the modern age with the google-fu skills to locate a primer on how bridges work that makes rudimentary sense to you and answers your immediate bridge-related question than researching the bridge building trade from the ground up when you don't actually intend to build a bridge.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do! I'll keep an eye out for the van... :)

images
Hey that's my van get your own.

VU Sponsors