Become a Patron!

Rta 4 Newbie?

Simbah

Member For 4 Years
So many reviewers on you tube. Idk which ones are unbiased, I just follow one who hasn't let me down yet. Any tips?

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I watch a few. I trust DJlsb vapes. Youtube great way to get a look at new stuff and find wicking tricks for individual rtas. Some are entertaining as hell.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
So many reviewers on you tube. Idk which ones are unbiased, I just follow one who hasn't let me down yet. Any tips?

Way I've always navigated reviews is much like making DIY ejuice pick the ones who share similar tastes to you, it does mean taking a punt to begin with, I've always valued honesty written or otherwise peeps who call out things out warts and all ...try to gain info from more than one source as well

Also ask on the forum plenty of people like in this thread for instance will weigh in

Simbah

Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I went to the "Big" reviewers but felt that they are just advertisers. I'd love to see a reviewer trash a product when it needs trashing!!!
That Australian guy who curses like a sailor on steroids and drinks beer is funny.

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
I asked for recommendations for RTA's and after many awesome ideas, I just bought an old UD IGO-W for 99 cents to work on my coil building skills. I finally understood what people were talking about in regards to getting better flavor from building your own coils. I'm moving right on to bottom feeds.

Squonking is the future!

I have to say....
Much appreciation to the community for all of the info that is available here.
Without this resource, I would probably still be complaining about cartomizers to my wife while being on hold with SmokeTip customer service. derp

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
As someone that gets a lot of product here is my take on reviewers:

I hear vapers say this all the time in reference to reviewers. Hey man, that guy never trashes anything. He likes everything. He's just a shill because he gets free shit. All of those statements are kind of ridiculous and I will explain why. First of all if you have achieved any type of success as a reviewer you get tons of stuff sent to you. So much stuff that it is almost impossible to review everything. When you reach the level of say Mike Vapes or Grimm Green you will get stuff that is just not worth your time to review. So by default they are already thinning the herd out by reviewing some of the stuff that they already like and not wasting their time on the totally shit products. That's why shit products in general just don't get a lot of reviews. The only way truly shitty products get a review is if a big company puts out a dog and even then some YT reviewers will still avoid reviewing. it.

As far as free stuff goes. I have been on this earth for a few moons now and I can honestly say nothing and I mean NOTHING in this life is free. There is always a price to pay even if it is not apparent at the time. Your average Youtuber gets an average mod that is around $50 and most tanks are around $30 dollars. In order to be on YT they need lighting, a camera, and editing software. Out of all three of these basic necessities there are varying qualities of product but the initial investment is still there. Then you have the investment of time . It takes time to use the mod, to try different builds, try different factory coils, see how long the coils last, see how fast the mod charges, is it really waterproof, drop tests, try different kinds of airflow, does it do TC well, is it accurate, does it really do xxx amount of watts, and so on and so on. The amount of time it takes to truly use and test a mod to do an accurate review is long for just one mod but imagine doing that with 10 or 20 mods in your rotation. Contrary to what some might think you can not do an accurate review in 1.5 days. Then there is the overall organization that is involved in a review queue. You may not believe it but after a while it takes its toll on you. A system is definitely needed and that alone takes time to develop. You also are not able to use the mods you truly enjoy because they are boxed up. The reason they are boxed up is because you just do not have room in your daily vape rotation for them.

After all that, and I am sure I have left out plenty of stuff you still have to record the review. If you are a family person that means you need to take time away from your family and find a quiet time to record your video. After the recording the real work starts because now you have to edit the video. After a few hours of editing now you have to post the video. Posting the video is not the end of it though. Now you have to promote the video, post links on social media, post links on vape forums, and you have to send the people that sent you the device a link.

As far as bashing products goes. As I alluded to earlier most products from major reviewers are pre-selected already and they do weed out the real shitty stuff. Taking that into consideration you also have to take into account that vape products are just getting better by the day. It is really hard to find cons on a lot of the really good products out there. So, after all that time and effort that $50 mod or $30 tank is really not free. If you took into account the average hours a typical reviewer spends on a product, if he was paid minimum wage you would in fact see that the mod or tank is definitely not free. In fact using that equation the reviewer is definitely at a net loss after the review is done. Yes do guys like Rip Trippers make a living doing what they do? Sure, but the point is it took a lot of hard work and thousands of hours to get to his point as a reviewer. Oh yeah, I forgot to include batteries and coils into the equation. The amount of batteries and coils that have to be kept on hand to properly review devices is just ridiculous. Now, some You-tubers may get that stuff sent to them as well but I know not all of them do on a regular basis. The up and coming Youtubers definitely do not get that stuff in the beginning.

All I'm saying is next time you want to knock a reviewer for getting free stuff or being a glorified advertiser take some of this stuff into consideration. I hope this did not come off as a rant because that was not my intended purpose. My purpose for this post was to provide a deeper, different perspective.

Last edited:

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I hear vapers say this all the time in reference to reviewers. Hey man, that guy never trashes anything. He likes everything. He's just a shill because he gets free shit. All of those statements are kind of ridiculous and I will explain why. First of all if you have achieved any type of success as a reviewer you get tons of stuff sent to you. So much stuff that it is almost impossible to review everything. When you reach the level of say Mike Vapes or Grimm Green you will get stuff that is just not worth your time to review. So by default they are already thinning the herd out by reviewing some of the stuff that they already like and not wasting their time on the totally shit products. That's why shit products in general just don't get a lot of reviews. The only way truly shitty products get a review is if a big company puts out a dog and even then some YT reviewers will still avoid reviewing. it.

As far as free stuff goes. I have been on this earth for a few moons now and I can honestly say nothing and I mean NOTHING in this life is free. There is always a price to pay even if it is not apparent at the time. Your average Youtuber gets an average mod that is around $50 and most tanks are around $30 dollars. In order to be on YT they need lighting, a camera, and editing software. Out of all three of these basic necessities there are varying qualities of product but the initial investment is still there. Then you have the investment of time . It takes time to use the mod, to try different builds, try different factory coils, see how long the coils last, see how fast the mod charges, is it really waterproof, drop tests, try different kinds of airflow, does it do TC well, is it accurate, does it really do xxx amount of watts, and so on and so on. The amount of time it takes to truly use and test a mod to do an accurate review is long for just one mod but imagine doing that with 10 or 20 mods in your rotation. Contrary to what some might think you can not do an accurate review in 1.5 days. Then there is the overall organization that is involved in a review queue. You may not believe it but after a while it takes its toll on you. A system is definitely needed and that alone takes time to develop.

After all that, and I am sure I have left out plenty of stuff you still have to record the review. If you are a family person that means you need to take time away from your family and find a quiet time to record your video. After the recording the real work starts because now you have to edit the video. After a few hours of editing now you have to post the video. Posting the video is not the end of it though. Now you have to promote the video, post links on social media, post links on vape forums, and you have to send the people that sent you the device a link.

As far as bashing products goes. As I alluded to earlier most products from major reviewers are pre-selected already and they do weed out the real shitty stuff. Taking that into consideration you also have to take into account that vape products are just getting better by the day. It is really hard to find cons on a lot of the really good products out there. So, after all that time and effort that $50 mod or $30 tank is really not free. If you took into account the average hours a typical reviewer spends on a product, if he was paid minimum wage you would in fact see that the mod or tank is definitely not free. In fact using that equation the reviewer is definitely at a net loss after the review is done. Yes do guys like Rip Trippers make a living doing what they do? Sure, but the point is it took a lot of hard work and thousands of hours to get to his point as a reviewer. Oh yeah, I forgot to include batteries and coils into the equation. The amount of batteries and coils that have to be kept on hand to properly review devices is just ridiculous. Now, some You-tubers may get that stuff sent to them as well but I know not all of them do on a regular basis. The up and coming Youtubers definitely do not get that stuff in the beginning.

All I'm saying is next time you want to knock a reviewer for getting free stuff or being a glorified advertiser take some of this stuff into consideration. I hope this did not come off as a rant because that was not my intended purpose. My purpose for this post was to provide a deeper, different perspective.
Amazing post! You hit on every major point.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
On that note, I will be doing my first official review in the next 2 weeks to month of my Wismec Reuleaux RX Gen 3. As I have no video capabilities, I will be doing a purely written review. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. :)

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I only follow Dsjlb vapes and Anthony Vapes. Having more luck here :)
Those are 2 good ones for sure :)

I came across this one on YouTube, maybe some of you don't know it yet:

AdvancedVape
That's the official channel of advanced vape supply. they make awesome wire. I use it in most of my vids. they also subscribe to my channel as well. they got some good info videos for sure

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
On that note, I will be doing my first official review in the next 2 weeks to month of my Wismec Reuleaux RX Gen 3. As I have no video capabilities, I will be doing a purely written review. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. :)

Really looking forward to it. Definitely reach out to me if you need to bounce something around.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I went to the "Big" reviewers but felt that they are just advertisers. I'd love to see a reviewer trash a product when it needs trashing!!!
That Australian guy who curses like a sailor on steroids and drinks beer is funny.
That foul mouthed Aussie The Vaping Bogan is one of the only Reviewers that I trust, he's excellent.

The other I recommend areThe Vaping Biker.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Simbah

Member For 4 Years
Deuce and Anthony vapes rule!!!
Awesome post, thanks for sharing. Couldn't agree with you more.
However, there's something I've noticed: Sometimes a product with serious faults is released, and maybe the reviewers didn't spend enough time with it to identify the issue(remember the Predator 510 issue?). Most were praising it, better than the Alien etc etc... The good ones went back, officially posted videos, and promptly rectified their take on the product. That's integrity.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Deuce and Anthony vapes rule!!!
Awesome post, thanks for sharing. Couldn't agree with you more.
However, there's something I've noticed: Sometimes a product with serious faults is released, and maybe the reviewers didn't spend enough time with it to identify the issue(remember the Predator 510 issue?). Most were praising it, better than the Alien etc etc... The good ones went back, officially posted videos, and promptly rectified their take on the product. That's integrity.
Yep, and just like there are good and bad devices. The same holds true for reviewers. Unfortunately, they're only human.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

As far as free stuff goes. I have been on this earth for a few moons now and I can honestly say nothing and I mean NOTHING in this life is free. There is always a price to pay even if it is not apparent at the time. Your average Youtuber gets an average mod that is around $50 and most tanks are around $30 dollars. In order to be on YT they need lighting, a camera, and editing software. Out of all three of these basic necessities there are varying qualities of product but the initial investment is still there. Then you have the investment of time . It takes time to use the mod, to try different builds, try different factory coils, see how long the coils last, see how fast the mod charges, is it really waterproof, drop tests, try different kinds of airflow, does it do TC well, is it accurate, does it really do xxx amount of watts, and so on and so on. The amount of time it takes to truly use and test a mod to do an accurate review is long for just one mod but imagine doing that with 10 or 20 mods in your rotation. Contrary to what some might think you can not do an accurate review in 1.5 days. Then there is the overall organization that is involved in a review queue. You may not believe it but after a while it takes its toll on you. A system is definitely needed and that alone takes time to develop. You also are not able to use the mods you truly enjoy because they are boxed up. The reason they are boxed up is because you just do not have room in your daily vape rotation for them.

Great post mate I've noticed a lot of this myself since I started reviewing albeit in the written form ...I'm not a professional nor do I profess to come close, but I do enjoy writing about products and sharing my experiences whether anyone cares to read them or not ....those many hours turn into weeks testing products and penning my thoughts and marking results as I go. The driver for me has always been helping at least one other person whether it's reviews or help threads I've started on the forum ...just to get even one comment is an honour that someone has taken the time to read something I'm passionate about :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Look forward to it emusic :)

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Great post mate I've noticed a lot of this myself since I started reviewing albeit in the written form ...I'm not a professional nor do I profess to come close, but I do enjoy writing about products and sharing my experiences whether anyone cares to read them or not ....those many hours turn into weeks testing products and penning my thoughts and marking results as I go. The driver for me has always been helping at least one other person whether it's reviews or help threads I've started on the forum ...just to get even one comment is an honour that someone has taken the time to read something I'm passionate about :)
Great post!

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

As far as free stuff goes. I have been on this earth for a few moons now and I can honestly say nothing and I mean NOTHING in this life is free. There is always a price to pay even if it is not apparent at the time. Your average Youtuber gets an average mod that is around $50 and most tanks are around $30 dollars. In order to be on YT they need lighting, a camera, and editing software. Out of all three of these basic necessities there are varying qualities of product but the initial investment is still there. Then you have the investment of time . It takes time to use the mod, to try different builds, try different factory coils, see how long the coils last, see how fast the mod charges, is it really waterproof, drop tests, try different kinds of airflow, does it do TC well, is it accurate, does it really do xxx amount of watts, and so on and so on. The amount of time it takes to truly use and test a mod to do an accurate review is long for just one mod but imagine doing that with 10 or 20 mods in your rotation. Contrary to what some might think you can not do an accurate review in 1.5 days. Then there is the overall organization that is involved in a review queue. You may not believe it but after a while it takes its toll on you. A system is definitely needed and that alone takes time to develop.

part 1 of 3

Excellent post jack. I'd also like to add to it as well.

Personally I always like to be an open book and upfront with everything. This is my take on reviews.

A reviewer IMO works for the community, not the companies. With that said there is no requirement or certification or test to pass to be a reviewer. So all reviewers shouldn't be looked at as "the same" I do think there are shill reviewers, I do think there are reviewers who don't know as much as they should, and i do think there are good honest reviewers. There are probably well over 40-50 on youtube alone and at least another 10-20 on sites and forums. I'd be surprised if there was any less then 60 reviewers in the somewhat known to super popular range and new one's popping up every day. And everyone has their own style and own vaping preference. The best advice i can give is pick a few you agree with generally and/or like or feel you can trust and use their combined opinions to make a decision. there is always the saying "one man's trash is another mans treasure" not everyone is going to have the same opinion.

With that said I do feel some miss the mark or miss flaws they should have seen. I also do think some don't spend enough time with a product, and i'll tell you what, i completely understand it. hell with the small amount of shit i get sent I'm backlogged for about 2 months currently. I couldn't imagine how bad it would be for someone like say rip to spend as much time as i do with all the shit he gets sent. Even someone like DJL who i think is great personally did his predator review, he spent he said 2 weeks with it, said it passed his testing and gave it a good review. 1 week later his 510 popped out and he made a warning video on it. had he spent 3-4 weeks with it, his review would have been completely different. That's why for mods i believe in using them 3-4 weeks minimum before a review. Something like an RDA probably doesn't need as much time. i'd say a week with 5-6 different builds would be enough. and RTA would be probably about twice as long cause checking for leaks and different wicking styles. for tanks it depends how long coils last. if you get 2 and they both burn out in less then a week it's ready for a bad review. if you get one and the coil doesn't burn out for 2 weeks then yeah it's gonna take longer to test all the coils but it's likely gonna be positive as long as the flavor is there. Every device is different. For me all my mods have been used at minimum 4 weeks before a review but there was one exception. the warlock z box. i tested it after having it only a week and it failed miserably so i put up a review ASAP on it to warn people. I think a lot of reviewers missed the mark on it personally. I even posted a comment in a positive review of it from another reviewer who "used it about a week" in their own words and there ware quite a few comments from people who purchased it backing up what i found and deeming it as crap. obviously i'm not big enough to really make a big difference but the reviewer couldn't care less they moved on to other products and didn't care to push it further despite the obvious flaws many found.

At the end of the day it's a reviewers job to be thorough and we all have different time lines on it. also we are all human and nobody is perfect. everyone will make a mistake at some point. I do as much as i can to prevent it, but I'm sure somewhere along the line i'll make a mistake or miss something. It's bound to happen no matter what steps you take. With that said I also wrote a guide to help out reviewers on reddit. it's just a basic pointers but i'll copy and paste it here

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
part 2 of 3

Hi all,

since we are all doing reviews i thought i'd make a post to discuss reviews. We all have differing level of experience doing them and thought we can all share and learn from each other. I wanna throw a disclaimer i'm just listing things that are MY opinion. Nobody should take offense to anything nor am i singling anyone out. I'm just doing some basic guidelines i follow personally

1) Pick a style, any style

as reviewers we are all different people and will have different styles of writing. Find what suits you best and stick to it. When someone wants to read your reviews they should see a pattern. they should all read the same. it might take a few tries but you don't want them to be so different that people can't tell it's you writing them. also by keeping it uniform it makes it easier for people to find the info they need and want. I suggest making a templete. I use google docs personally i have a templete for mods, one for tanks, one for rebuildables, and one for kits. i use the templates for my reviews then copy/paste to reddit.

2) Inform don't repeat

It's always good to list manufacturers specs, you don't want people having to go elsewhere to find basic info. but list and move on. Reviews are "professional opinion" pieces. repeating what the manufacturer says over and over doesn't do any good. it makes it read more like an advertisement. I'll be blunt with you guys since we are all friends here, when i read a review that reads like an ad, i ignore it and usually don't bother to read much from that reviewer anymore. after listing the specs, spend the rest of the time using your knowledge to give an informed opinion. The idea of a review is to provide fair unbiased information to vapers. not to oversell them on something. It's also ok to personally like a product but also understand it's not necessarily a good one. The lux for me is a perfect example. I really like the lux. it handles 30mm tanks, isn't pricey, has door colors for customization, and comes with the best 26650 batts on the market and has great life and not much bigger then a dual 18650. still i also accept it's not a good mod. remember we are reviewers not sales people. there is a big difference.

3) review for the product, not a standard

What i mean by that is each product has their own thing they were designed for. You can't use the same build/same watts on every atomizer as they aren't all built the same. I would throw a dual fused clapton in a MTL RTA and then say it sucks compared to a modfather RTA. they are built for different vaping styles. I see it far too often i sued the same build in X,Y, and Z and Z was better, meanwhile X is better but was built incorrectly. it would be like me only testing mods at 100 watts and 50 watts then dinging mods that don't do 100 watts and never knowing if that 200 watt mod really does 200 watts because i want to do it all the same. doesn't make much sense when put like that

4) take your time

Reviewing isn't a race. we see products reviewed here all the time that are months old and it's ok. No need to rush out a review. a review is ready when it's ready. put things through their paces, try several builds. take the 200 watt mod to 200 watts and see how it holds up. be thorough.

5) disclaimers

ALWAYS say where you got a product from, never brees past it and not mention if you purchased it or if X company sent it to you. people should always know the source. with that said, something was pointed out to me from a buddy of mine a few weeks ago as well. When i started getting stuff for review i would put in a disclaimer that added "this will in no way shape or form effect my opinion" he told me don't do that. people will believe you or they wont but stating that doesn't do anything to anyone's opinion. So i took that out from my reviews. Now i just state where i got it from and move on. people are smart enough to tell if a review seems biased or not, you don't need to shout out "hey I'm not biased" My "sponsered" reviews read the same as my "not sponsored ones" that's how it should be. pretend you purchased it yourself.

6) Be honest

I think if i proved anything, it's that it's ok to give a bad review. people around reddit are smarter then your average vaper. Don't be the "rip trippers" of reddit where everything is awesome. Not to mention bear flat out said in his email. be honest and be brutal. I've done more "negative" reviews of products then probably any reviewer out there over the past 7 months and yet companies still send me stuff. It's ok to say you don't like a product if you don't like it. If a company isn't on board with that, then they aren't a company worth being associated with. integrity is worth much more then a few free items. I think people are scared sometimes to give a bad review for fear of not getting free stuff, If anything I'm proof that isn't true. I have more companies contacting me still despite just giving honest assessments which doesn't always benefit them. overall more people appreciate honesty.

7) reviewing is hard work

lets face it, it is. there is no way around it. personally i spend about 20-25 hours a week doing reviews and that doesn't even really include alot of the building and note taking and such. that's just testing of mods and writing reviews and recording and editing and uploading videos. and it's pricey, i buy a lot of coils, wire, and cotton. With that said, make it fun! work doesn't have to be a chore. it should be enjoyable. remember the old saying "pick a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life"

8) Use your knowledge

Not just for reviews but for the community. help out people, ask questions, don't be short or be an ass towards people. it makes you more likeable and makes you more likely to get people interested in reading your reviews. I go around a lot and answer questions for people and help out. not only is it nice to do and gives you good karma, but it also shows people you know what you are doing and talking about. it buys you credibility. why would someone want to read a review from someone who doesn't even know basic stuff. I'm not saying we all have to be experts in everything, but use what you know, help build a knowledgeable community. Also I don't know is an acceptable answer. if you don't know something, just say it. we all don't know every answer to everything

9) compare don't bash

Remember again we aren't salespeople. for me personally i think it's good sometimes to give comparisons as a reference point. in the same sense don't bash companies in reviews. they are meant to be informative. saying something like why anyone would buy a wismec over this is beyond me, doesn't have a place in a review sure it's fine to say as comments or answer questions and such, but not in a review. all it does is make you look like you are pushing products for a company. that's not the goal of a review. You all know i'm hard on wismec and joyetech for fair reasons, but i never trash them in my reviews unless it's their product i'm reviewing and it sucks.

With all that said i'd love to hear suggestions as well from you guys and feedback too. I'm always looking to improve and personally I've had lots of help from some good people to get better and I'm still far from perfect myself. knowing that is half the battle. As reviewers we are here to provide a service and I've always been a fan of "if you do something, do it right and don't half ass it" provide that service to the best of your ability. play to your strengths, we all have plenty of strengths.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
part 3 of 3

Sadly only about half the reviewers even bothered to reply to it. some just aren't interested in anything or doing a good job. there will always be people like that. just need to weed out the good one's from the bad ones.

Also people think it's all free shit and glamour and it's not at all. Personally I get at least 2-3 messages a week of people asking how to be a reviewer and get free shit. So much so i made a copy paste response. I'm an open book so i'll be downright honest with everyone. I keep track of all my purchases since i started my channel (late november) I purchased a ton of shit to review. i'm currently at 6722.30 spent in under a year. and that's only vape stuff. even with the free stuff in the past 3 months i've spent about 1400 of that. Not only that but because my testing and having to build and such I'll be dropping about 200 bucks this month just for wire/coils and batteries. The idea i would drop almost 7k in less then a year to get a free 30 dollar atomizer is just insane to me lol I don't get the logic. so when people ask about free stuff i point that out. free stuff is the wrong reason to do reviews. spend money buy stuff build a name for yourself. if you do a good job you'll get noticed but nobody is gonna randomly send you free stuff because you want it and think doing some half assed review is gonna get you noticed because it won't. Now you have the time factor. I spend about 25 hours a week just making the reviews. 4-5 vids of recording, editing uploading. 2 written versions for reddit, then posting them everywhere and sending links back to vendors who sent me stuff. it's a lot of work. that doesn't include my mod testing (1 hour per mod plus 1 hour setup/breakdown) plus rebuilding almost every night and the constant note taking. plus keeping track of my stuff, my review queue, and planning it all out. if i got paid minimum wage for my work (8.50 per hour IIRC) that's about 212.50 a week in my labor alone. times that by about 34 weeks doing it and the number is 7225 in my labor. added to my physical money spent puts me around the 14k mark currently invested. and that doesn't include stuff purchased for my channel (lighting, testing equipment, cameras, work benches etc) and as jack pointed out being a family man it's not easy to get some piece and quiet to record reviews. mine are all done while most people are asleep. It's the labor of love. and it's hard work and expensive.

I do it cause i love it and do it for the community. I don't monetize my channel, i don't make a penny off of it. I don't make a penny writing reviews for reddit either. And i don't take money from companies to review their products. I've been offered, i turned it down personally. Even if i did take it , it would take me years and years to even break even on my investment. In my eyes i work for the people not the companies so they shouldn't be paying me. with that said i have no issues with the big guys making a living off of it. It's hard work and it's a hard job, they just need to keep in mind what being a reviewer is. personally i have no issues calling crap crap. i've had quite a few sponsored reviews that got bad ratings. the CKS icon, cuboid tap kit, subzero x rda all come to mind recently. I even had a dude on reddit comment on my tap review saying "i appreciate the honesty but people will stop sending you stuff" i said flat out "i can't control that, i need to do a fair review it is what it is" he gilded that comment (means paid money to reddit to make my account gold for a month) people do appreciate honesty and it's noticed. and I still do unsponsered reviews and buy shit. everyone wanted me to do a review on the serpent SMM so i purchased one to do it. I also try to give back with giveaways when i can. I've done a few already and have like 4 more in the works coming up. I do it for vaping and the community. Not everyone has selfish reasons.

at the end of the day, you can't control what people think. I've been accused of shilling which couldn't be further form the truth. My actions prove that. and I'm a believer in actions speak louder then words. The last thing i need is to whore myself for free shit. i can afford what i want myself. some of the money spent last month was over 200 bucks for a custom box. I'm not hurting for money. Hell i had to buy myself more shelves to store all my review queue stuff. I also gave away about 30 or so items (mods, attys etc) in the past month just to make room for new stuff. everything i get sent puts me further behind and is more work. every rebuildable cost me money in wick and wire, every mod gets me closer to buying new batteries.

As far as bad reviews go, as jack pointed out i'm sure reviewers set them aside due to being backed up. I have 2 reviews i need to do on products that flat out suck. im gonna do them but they are so unpopular and have very few reviews (most of them bad) people are already warned so it's not priority. I will get to them though but i'd rather do one's people are looking to buy rather then unknown crap nobody is interested in. i find it more usefull. I could probably rant for days on this stuff but i think i ranted long enough here, but as i said I'm an open book so feel free to AMA and I'll answer if you have questions. I also spend a lot of time on forums helping people out as well

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
part 1 of 3

Excellent post jack. I'd also like to add to it as well.

Personally I always like to be an open book and upfront with everything. This is my take on reviews.

A reviewer IMO works for the community, not the companies. With that said there is no requirement or certification or test to pass to be a reviewer. So all reviewers shouldn't be looked at as "the same" I do think there are shill reviewers, I do think there are reviewers who don't know as much as they should, and i do think there are good honest reviewers. There are probably well over 40-50 on youtube alone and at least another 10-20 on sites and forums. I'd be surprised if there was any less then 60 reviewers in the somewhat known to super popular range and new one's popping up every day. And everyone has their own style and own vaping preference. The best advice i can give is pick a few you agree with generally and/or like or feel you can trust and use their combined opinions to make a decision. there is always the saying "one man's trash is another mans treasure" not everyone is going to have the same opinion.

With that said I do feel some miss the mark or miss flaws they should have seen. I also do think some don't spend enough time with a product, and i'll tell you what, i completely understand it. hell with the small amount of shit i get sent I'm backlogged for about 2 months currently. I couldn't imagine how bad it would be for someone like say rip to spend as much time as i do with all the shit he gets sent. Even someone like DJL who i think is great personally did his predator review, he spent he said 2 weeks with it, said it passed his testing and gave it a good review. 1 week later his 510 popped out and he made a warning video on it. had he spent 3-4 weeks with it, his review would have been completely different. That's why for mods i believe in using them 3-4 weeks minimum before a review. Something like an RDA probably doesn't need as much time. i'd say a week with 5-6 different builds would be enough. and RTA would be probably about twice as long cause checking for leaks and different wicking styles. for tanks it depends how long coils last. if you get 2 and they both burn out in less then a week it's ready for a bad review. if you get one and the coil doesn't burn out for 2 weeks then yeah it's gonna take longer to test all the coils but it's likely gonna be positive as long as the flavor is there. Every device is different. For me all my mods have been used at minimum 4 weeks before a review but there was one exception. the warlock z box. i tested it after having it only a week and it failed miserably so i put up a review ASAP on it to warn people. I think a lot of reviewers missed the mark on it personally. I even posted a comment in a positive review of it from another reviewer who "used it about a week" in their own words and there ware quite a few comments from people who purchased it backing up what i found and deeming it as crap. obviously i'm not big enough to really make a big difference but the reviewer couldn't care less they moved on to other products and didn't care to push it further despite the obvious flaws many found.

At the end of the day it's a reviewers job to be thorough and we all have different time lines on it. also we are all human and nobody is perfect. everyone will make a mistake at some point. I do as much as i can to prevent it, but I'm sure somewhere along the line i'll make a mistake or miss something. It's bound to happen no matter what steps you take. With that said I also wrote a guide to help out reviewers on reddit. it's just a basic pointers but i'll copy and paste it here

You made a lot of great points, and I like that you are candid with your reviews. Great job!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Yet to find anyone review anything and have the exact same opinion as me
I have to read or watch multiple multiple multiple reviews to get all the info

most reviewers do not cover everything about actually USING the product.
Some are good about discussing leaking
some are not

I am not criticizing reviewers in general, because no two people really think the same way yet alone vape the same way SO what works for you may or may not work for me. There are only generalities

For example I have seen and even suggested people get rtas like the grifiin AIO or the ijoy combo or limitless classic

I personally can not see myself using these rta/rdtas. WHY? not because they are bad . I just dont want changable decks
That is just one more thing that can go wrong or break on the thing. I am very happy using velocity decks Thats all I need. I dont need postless, single coil, blah blah blah. SO while those tanks do not pass my criteria checklist, they can still be great for someone else who doesnt care about that

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'm watching here Dsjlb vapes literally trash the Crown Mini. I wonder if big companies would just stop sending them products for reviewing.
I'm pretty sure that's why sigelei stopped after the DJL fuchai 213 video. I konw they watch reviews. I've had them contact me but they are sketchy as fuck when it comes to reviews. you can tell they don't trust results of their products. it's a shame as their last few have been pretty good

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
part 3 of 3

Sadly only about half the reviewers even bothered to reply to it. some just aren't interested in anything or doing a good job. there will always be people like that. just need to weed out the good one's from the bad ones.

Also people think it's all free shit and glamour and it's not at all. Personally I get at least 2-3 messages a week of people asking how to be a reviewer and get free shit. So much so i made a copy paste response. I'm an open book so i'll be downright honest with everyone. I keep track of all my purchases since i started my channel (late november) I purchased a ton of shit to review. i'm currently at 6722.30 spent in under a year. and that's only vape stuff. even with the free stuff in the past 3 months i've spent about 1400 of that. Not only that but because my testing and having to build and such I'll be dropping about 200 bucks this month just for wire/coils and batteries. The idea i would drop almost 7k in less then a year to get a free 30 dollar atomizer is just insane to me lol I don't get the logic. so when people ask about free stuff i point that out. free stuff is the wrong reason to do reviews. spend money buy stuff build a name for yourself. if you do a good job you'll get noticed but nobody is gonna randomly send you free stuff because you want it and think doing some half assed review is gonna get you noticed because it won't. Now you have the time factor. I spend about 25 hours a week just making the reviews. 4-5 vids of recording, editing uploading. 2 written versions for reddit, then posting them everywhere and sending links back to vendors who sent me stuff. it's a lot of work. that doesn't include my mod testing (1 hour per mod plus 1 hour setup/breakdown) plus rebuilding almost every night and the constant note taking. plus keeping track of my stuff, my review queue, and planning it all out. if i got paid minimum wage for my work (8.50 per hour IIRC) that's about 212.50 a week in my labor alone. times that by about 34 weeks doing it and the number is 7225 in my labor. added to my physical money spent puts me around the 14k mark currently invested. and that doesn't include stuff purchased for my channel (lighting, testing equipment, cameras, work benches etc) and as jack pointed out being a family man it's not easy to get some piece and quiet to record reviews. mine are all done while most people are asleep. It's the labor of love. and it's hard work and expensive.

I do it cause i love it and do it for the community. I don't monetize my channel, i don't make a penny off of it. I don't make a penny writing reviews for reddit either. And i don't take money from companies to review their products. I've been offered, i turned it down personally. Even if i did take it , it would take me years and years to even break even on my investment. In my eyes i work for the people not the companies so they shouldn't be paying me. with that said i have no issues with the big guys making a living off of it. It's hard work and it's a hard job, they just need to keep in mind what being a reviewer is. personally i have no issues calling crap crap. i've had quite a few sponsored reviews that got bad ratings. the CKS icon, cuboid tap kit, subzero x rda all come to mind recently. I even had a dude on reddit comment on my tap review saying "i appreciate the honesty but people will stop sending you stuff" i said flat out "i can't control that, i need to do a fair review it is what it is" he gilded that comment (means paid money to reddit to make my account gold for a month) people do appreciate honesty and it's noticed. and I still do unsponsered reviews and buy shit. everyone wanted me to do a review on the serpent SMM so i purchased one to do it. I also try to give back with giveaways when i can. I've done a few already and have like 4 more in the works coming up. I do it for vaping and the community. Not everyone has selfish reasons.

at the end of the day, you can't control what people think. I've been accused of shilling which couldn't be further form the truth. My actions prove that. and I'm a believer in actions speak louder then words. The last thing i need is to whore myself for free shit. i can afford what i want myself. some of the money spent last month was over 200 bucks for a custom box. I'm not hurting for money. Hell i had to buy myself more shelves to store all my review queue stuff. I also gave away about 30 or so items (mods, attys etc) in the past month just to make room for new stuff. everything i get sent puts me further behind and is more work. every rebuildable cost me money in wick and wire, every mod gets me closer to buying new batteries.

As far as bad reviews go, as jack pointed out i'm sure reviewers set them aside due to being backed up. I have 2 reviews i need to do on products that flat out suck. im gonna do them but they are so unpopular and have very few reviews (most of them bad) people are already warned so it's not priority. I will get to them though but i'd rather do one's people are looking to buy rather then unknown crap nobody is interested in. i find it more usefull. I could probably rant for days on this stuff but i think i ranted long enough here, but as i said I'm an open book so feel free to AMA and I'll answer if you have questions. I also spend a lot of time on forums helping people out as well

Anthony, since you obviously have enough time on your hands to write these awesome posts, when am I gonna get my tech test results on the Hohmwrecker G2? :D :D ( that's a joke)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Anthony, since you obviously have enough time on your hands to write these awesome posts, when am I gonna get my tech test results on the Hohmwrecker G2? :D :D ( that's a joke)

Lmao one day man one day. I had plans tonight to test like 4 mods but got sidetracked so only did the aegis and vfeng.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Regarding reviewers, I used to never watch video reviews partly because of limited wireless data and an almost pathological aversion jumping on a bandwagon because the crowd says to. I prefer to lay back and form my own opinion. For a long time, the only video reviews I watched were Anthony's.

Now, I watch a few other folks simply for the facts I can see, like in a mod, how do the batteries go in, is there danger of damaging wraps? How difficult is the menu to learn and operate? How well does the battery door fit? Stuff like that.

On an atty, I want to see it built and wicked, and know if it leaks. If I like how it builds, and comes apart and back together, and the extras that comes with it, I'll buy it and make my own decision as to flavor. Choosing between a flavor atty that's difficult to build and one that's easy to build but has average flavor...I'll take easy every day.

So, that's what I look for when I watch a video and Anthony throws a bonus in his mod reviews with the oscilloscope testing of voltage and current output and wattage at different resistances. Hardly any other reviewer does that. I do like watching some folks like Mike Vapes and The Vaping Postman because they're somewhat entertaining and offer different styles of building. The Postman reviews a lot of the stuff in my price range such as the goon clone and the Kindbright Reload clone.

So taken with a grain of salt and picking out the facts from the opinion, a reviewer can be a valuable asset when it comes to forking over your hard earned cash.

Even forum conversations can be misleading.

Take the case of the IJoy Exo rta. 10 pages of discussion about it - some people don't like it, most people love it. Is it a well made atty? Without a doubt. Worth the money? Absolutely! Is it the be all, end all for flavor? I won't be able to say without trying it. Chances are it is but I've yet to try a dripper or rta that has the intensity of flavor I get from my little 14mm Eleaf GS Air 2 tanks that came with my IStick Basics. My Reload clone comes close, but I'm still having wicking problems. Maybe it'll get better as I learn to wick better.

I'll shut up now and let the focus get back on picking an rta for the OP. :)

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Regarding reviewers, I used to never watch video reviews partly because of limited wireless data and an almost pathological aversion jumping on a bandwagon because the crowd says to. I prefer to lay back and form my own opinion. For a long time, the only video reviews I watched were Anthony's.

Now, I watch a few other folks simply for the facts I can see, like in a mod, how do the batteries go in, is there danger of damaging wraps? How difficult is the menu to learn and operate? How well does the battery door fit? Stuff like that.

On an atty, I want to see it built and wicked, and know if it leaks. If I like how it builds, and comes apart and back together, and the extras that comes with it, I'll buy it and make my own decision as to flavor. Choosing between a flavor atty that's difficult to build and one that's easy to build but has average flavor...I'll take easy every day.

So, that's what I look for when I watch a video and Anthony throws a bonus in his mod reviews with the oscilloscope testing of voltage and current output and wattage at different resistances. Hardly any other reviewer does that. I do like watching some folks like Mike Vapes and The Vaping Postman because they're somewhat entertaining and offer different styles of building. The Postman reviews a lot of the stuff in my price range such as the goon clone and the Kindbright Reload clone.

So taken with a grain of salt and picking out the facts from the opinion, a reviewer can be a valuable asset when it comes to forking over your hard earned cash.

Even forum conversations can be misleading.

Take the case of the IJoy Exo rta. 10 pages of discussion about it - some people don't like it, most people love it. Is it a well made atty? Without a doubt. Worth the money? Absolutely! Is it the be all, end all for flavor? I won't be able to say without trying it. Chances are it is but I've yet to try a dripper or rta that has the intensity of flavor I get from my little 14mm Eleaf GS Air 2 tanks that came with my IStick Basics. My Reload clone comes close, but I'm still having wicking problems. Maybe it'll get better as I learn to wick better.

I'll shut up now and let the focus get back on picking an rta for the OP. :)

Great post mate :)

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I am enjoying it. Have tried several different builds. For myself it will probably end up using it for dessert vapes. Going to try a couple more builds. Nano still my go to.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
I have one and use it off and on, it's a great flavor tank.
I would like it better if the air flow was a bit more open and it had a bigger drip tip. The air flow is adequate, I just like it more wide open.
I like it because it doesn't leak, you can even lay it on it's side and no leakage.
For that reason, this is my favorite tank for being out and about.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum so don’t roast me if I’ve broken any rules by reviving a dead thread! I’ve found the information here useful and would like to ask you all for your advice.

I’m in the market for a new vape setup. All I’ve owned so far is the subvod Nano starter kit from kangertech, but after a few weeks I managed to break the tank’s airflow section and it began pissing liquid so I’ve thrown it away. Might pick up a replacement Subtank Nano for it in future (for nights out) as I still have the battery.

My brother is a smok fan, so I’ve had many recommendations from him for the tf series and their various mods. I’ve tried his setup but he likes high wattage and I found the vapor too hot and throaty, being used to the ~30W of the subtank nano.

I’m undecided on where to go from here. The more research I do to figure out what I want the more I learn and the deeper I dig.

I’ve decided I want a small ergonomic pocketable mod, which is what initially drew me to the subvod kit’s pen style, and a tank that produces great flavour and is cheap to run.

I’m currently considering purchasing a wismec sinuous p80 maximum 80W single 18650 mod; unless someone dissuades me. (I know the predator had/has 510 issues but that has been resolved for the p80 so that is not a concern)

Now I’m trying to decide between purchasing the original aspire cleito sub ohm tank, which supposedly has some of the best stock coilheads for flavorful vapor in the form of their .4ohm coils. And can be expanded with bubble glass and an RBA section.

Or should I dive straight into RTAs? I like the idea that I don’t have to throw away the coil head if I burn the cotton and can simply rewick it, it sounds more sustainable economically for me and environmentally (hated throwing the metal coilheads in the bin and would prefer not to have to keep doing this every couple of weeks at best!)

Also, it makes sense to me that I will get better flavour if I can rewick as soon as the cotton around the coil is dying and not try to stretch the lifespan of an expensive coilhead.

However, I really cba dealing with a leaky tank again and I’ve read that a few of the tanks mentioned in this thread can leak quite badly, especially the Ammit 25?

How hard is it to get into RTAs? I’m not that interested in making my own coils (at least not yet) so would probably purchase pre made stainless steel Clapton coils.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

VanCough

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
OBS Engine Nano is a great starter rta. Easy single coil deck, top af so no leaks, Great flavor. Been my daily drivers since they came out. I buy my prebuilt 316l ss coils from AVS, Advanced Vape Supply. Only coils and wire I use now. These work for me very well. You will get more answers, buy what appeals to you.

VU Sponsors