Become a Patron!

RTA for 50w iStick

bulbophyllum

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello,

I have only been vaping for about 2 months so I am still figuring out the gear. I have a Herakles non rebuildable tank on my 50w iStick and vape naturally extracted e liquid at 30W. I get 1 day to a half a week out of my coils before I get a nasty burnt taste. I have been soaking nasty coils in alcohol, getting most of the nastiness off the coils with a small screwdriver, blasting them out with water... All with limited success.

I might as well get an RTA and learn how to coil and wick it. I am not looking to get into blowing huge clouds. I want something with around 5ml tank that is easy to deal work on. Nothing fussy. The griffin 25 and the herakles 2 seem to be what people are liking. Are theses guys too much for my iStick? Any better ideas?

gary

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello,

I have only been vaping for about 2 months so I am still figuring out the gear. I have a Herakles non rebuildable tank on my 50w iStick and vape naturally extracted e liquid at 30W. I get 1 day to a half a week out of my coils before I get a nasty burnt taste. I have been soaking nasty coils in alcohol, getting most of the nastiness off the coils with a small screwdriver, blasting them out with water... All with limited success.

I might as well get an RTA and learn how to coil and wick it. I am not looking to get into blowing huge clouds. I want something with around 5ml tank that is easy to deal work on. Nothing fussy. The griffin 25 and the herakles 2 seem to be what people are liking. Are theses guys too much for my iStick? Any better ideas?

gary
Boreas, Merlin, and any Genny style tank is pretty easy to build and wick. The Merlin does have a seepage problem though. Seems like getting a good one is the luck of the draw. Azeroth, Limitless, and Avocado are all Genny style tanks. All good but all different in their own little way. The Boreas is just a well built solid easy tank to wick and build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hello,

gary

I've tried NET juices, and while they are tasty - especially if you are trying to get off real tobacco - they are wicked hard on coils. Both prebuilt and build-your-owns.

I'm a Merlin lover. Have 13 of them, lol.

Only six are in use, no leak issues. The thing that is nice about Merlin, is you can take out the deck and service/rewick etc without having to empty the tank.

The Boreas has the same feature, but its a much more advanced tank and a lot fussier than the Merlin. It has superior flavor, massive clouds but sucks juice, even with low wattage vaping.

The V5 Kayfun clone might be a good option for you (Or an authentic one if you pocketbook is deep) Don't have one myself but I hear very good things about it from vapers whose opinions I have learned to trust :)

I'd avoid the V4 Kayfun - way too complicated to put together for what it is

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
While I agree with everyone's picks, keep in mind he is using an istick 50 watt.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hello,

gary

Good rta advice here, and for the non rebuildable Herk, have you tried the new 1.8 ceramic coil? I got a few weeis out of them using dark chocolate juice, sometimes with wta added. You will see YouTube videos on these for Herakles Honor and Herakles Pro. I would still go rta, but 1.8 gives you a possible option to keep the Herk going with tougher juices.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good rta advice here, and for the non rebuildable Herk, have you tried the new 1.8 ceramic coil? I got a few weeis out of them using dark chocolate juice, sometimes with wta added. You will see YouTube videos on these for Herakles Honor and Herakles Pro. I would still go rta, but 1.8 gives you a possible option to keep the Herk going with tougher juices.
Ceramic coils?

Avoid them, worse than nickel coils, much worse.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...-KBruO681JMzcTmwF4Dn8g118X8gL4eQ/formResponse

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a pico 75w and use my old Kayfuns with it.. Granted I don't vape these tanks at over 25watts. Buld is.43 twisted 28 SS running at 22 watt in TC or 13 watt VW
I just ordered a 22 Avocado... my only hope is I can use it at the lower wattages I like.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Istick 50 is a 23mm device so i would go with something in the 22-23 mm range. 24 would slightly hang over.

Some of these smaller RTA's dont play well with higher vg juice, but under 70 vg almost any should work.

Eventhough you have a 50w device, that doesn't mean you cant buy a badass rebuildable. Just can't get too crazy with the amount of metal you put in it.

And, just a suggestion, take it or leave it, but RDA's are a lot easier to learn to build on. Tanks can be finicky with wicking. So my suggestion is get good at coils in an rda, then once you master that, get good at wicking on an rta.

bulbophyllum

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I guess I still don't really know what I'm doing. As I understood it some tanks are designed for higher watt vaping. I don't like stabbing around in the dark randomly buying gear. Are any of the tanks mentioned above less suitable for my 50w iStick? I'm really handy and kinda excited about learning to make coils and wicking them. I'm also excited about not spending $4 a coil and vaping nasty burnt juice in a few days.

Mikeyboy74,

I have not tried the 1.8 coils. Ohms and vaping makes no sense to me. It all seems so counter intuitive to me. Heat from the coil vaporizes the liquid. The higher the resistance of a circuit the more heat generated when x amount of electricity is passed through. Right? But, it evidently doesn't work that way and I have not read enough about it to really understand the physics. But, are lower resistance coils better for hard to vape liquids?

gary

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here is the (over)simplified version.

Lets say we make 2 coils. Both with the same inside diameter and number of wraps. One coil with 24g wire (thicker) and one with 28g wire (thinner)

The 24g wire is thicker. So it resists less of the current. More can pass through at a time. It will therefore take more wattage to heat it up. Since it is thicker, it will have more surface area to evaporate juice. But will take more wattage to get it to a temperature to evaporate juice. (More metal+more power=more vapor)

The 28g is thinner so more resistant. Less power can pass though it at a time. So it will take less wattage to heat it up. Since it is thinner, it has less surface area to evaporate juice. (Less metal needs less power but will provide less vapor)

As far as which rebuildable to get, would say get something with a 2 post velocity-style deck with 4 holes. What I was saying in my previous post is basically get a good one. Your device doesn't limit you to a certain tank, other than aestetics. Probably dont want bigger than 23mm otherwise it will hang over and look goofy and unbalanced. Your device will, however, limit what kind of coils you can build in it.

Unfortunately, while you can take advice here, the best thing to do is try a couple by trial and error to see what suits you best. Most tanks and rda's can be had relatively inexpensively.

And, if "collecting things" is not your thing, you might be forewarned that once you start rebuilding, you will collect various wire, tools, and wicking et cetera.

Last edited:

bulbophyllum

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
BKTOAD,

You are totally right. I swore that I would just start vaping as a good way to get off cigs and not make it complicated. But, I don't see it going that way. I just have to admit it.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
BKTOAD,

You are totally right. I swore that I would just start vaping as a good way to get off cigs and not make it complicated. But, I don't see it going that way. I just have to admit it.

It's as simple or as complicated as you choose to make it, that's the beauty of Vaping.

I find the hobby end of building coils and diy juice keeps me dedicated to it. Buying cigs is easier. But this makes it more satisfying for me.

Yep, I've gone deep into the rabbit hole on the hobby side of Vaping and I enjoy the shit out of it. Smoking, I just did it to satisfy my addiction and never loved it. With Vaping I no longer have the addiction and Vape because I genuinely love it. The act of finding just the right build then the satisfaction of enjoying what you made .......... yes, I love it.

VU Sponsors