Become a Patron!

RTA inital wicking tip

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just something that I do that's helped me. :)

When I re-wick or initially wick an RTA like the Fogger or Orchid, where I can't see anything because of the chimney, I use pure VG to moisten the coils and wick before putting the chimney on and filling it with juice.

The rational here is that, yes you will taste cotton or whatever and not much else at first, but more importantly, you will detect any burning or such that your juice's flavor or PG/Nic content may hide otherwise. After a few vapes, your juice will come in and you'll be set to vape as usual.

It isn't necessary to do, and I don't bother with it after that first fill, but I like doing it to get that initial test of how it's wicking without the juice masking a poor wicking job. Which could cause an off or burnt taste.

With RDAs, you can see, taste and smell problems far easier, once you fill an RTA, you're stuck with it. This helps me get an early diagnosis before it's too late and I've ruined a tank of juice.

That works well. I do the same with my RDA. I just never thought of it as a way of finding hot spots in my new coil. Good post.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks CaFF, I will try this with my next Kayfun build.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just wick it, soak it, screw the chimney in and take a few pulls like i would from a dripper.

VU Sponsors