Become a Patron!

RTA popping

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While vaping on my rta, it starts popping and hissing, after that point it has a funky taste. Sometimes it happens after a few minutes, sometimes after a tank or 2. Anybody else experience this? I usually just end up re-wicking it. But, I would rather isolate the issue and solve the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It has to do with how tight your wick is in the coil. Try thicker wicking. The pop is juice super heating in a gap between the wick and coil creating a bit of pressure that creates a pop. The hissing is normal.

Take a look at this video and use the technique to wick your coil:

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You are most welcome. I'm here to help where I can.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I like a little pop and hiss with my vape.

Sounds coming from the coil along with the amount of vapor being produced (and taste of course) are all great indicators of the condition of your wick and coil and will let you know when it is time to service your device.

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As for me, I prefer not to vape Pop Rocks. :p
That stuff was awesome though.. :D

candyshop_poprocks.png

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I have rewicked it several times and changed out the coils. I can stuff it full of cotton, to the point where it moves the coils without holding them, still suffering the same issue.

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What RTA are you using?

I ask because some, like the Kayfun's will pop and crackle no matter what.. Now the odd taste is another issue but the popping sound could just be the way that particular atty rolls..

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sounds like you've rebuilt a few times.. Have you tried using a different brand of cotton?

Might sound odd but hey, you never know.. Could also be the reason for the odd taste you have going on..

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Get organic cotton and I still recommend boiling it before use..

A lot of people are hot and heavy on the Japanese Cotton or on Cotton Bacon but I just use good ole organic cotton balls...

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I normally use muji cotton. I just rebuilt it using organic cotton balls. ....we shall see the result....

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did you try the method in the vid I posted yet?

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
crap, forgot to ask, are you using max vg, or something like 80/20?

I just re-wicked my Cthulhu and put in a 50/50 blend I make for my wife and her kayfuns by accident and got the popping and snapping. Once I emptied out the tank and put my dripping max vg blend in, it stopped. Don't know if this will work for you.

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Start of the 3rd tank, loud hiss and funky taste afterward. Ugh, so it is not the cotton.:(

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Can you describe the funky taste?

I'm wondering if you are getting dry hits.. You are vaping a 90VG / 10PG mix right? That's some pretty thick juice..

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I made a different flavor juice, same vg ratio. Still did it. It kinda tastes like a burnt taste without the throat burn. Maybe I will pick up some pg and try and dilute it. to 80/20. I really can't think of anything else that it might be. IDK

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
When you dry fire the coil do you see any hot spots or hot legs?

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah the only other suggestion I have is to try an different mix of VG/PG..

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are you using juice with a lot of sweetness or a dark juice like naturally extracted tobacco?

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape 89.9% vg, 10% TFA Ripe Strawberry and .1% nic (100mg/vg base).

MrGrimR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you still having issues?

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
only every once in a great while since I changed to 75/25 mix

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same issue from time to time and the problem/solution I have isn't here. The popping doesn't bother me, but on occasion it will have a mild hiss as soon as I fire it and it tastes terrible (it typically takes a second to heat up). That lets me know the coil is either touching something or not tight enough in the post. I know you fixed your problem, but for anyone else having issues figured I'd leave my 2c.

Akrotiri

Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
While vaping on my rta, it starts popping and hissing, after that point it has a funky taste. Sometimes it happens after a few minutes, sometimes after a tank or 2. Anybody else experience this? I usually just end up re-wicking it. But, I would rather isolate the issue and solve the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.
The hissing means either you have a loose coil leg or your on the verge of a dry hit. If you know for a fact your wick isn't dry then take a look at your coil legs and make sure its properly trapped by the post screws.

VU Sponsors