Become a Patron!

RX 2/3 vs. DNA options - please help

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
I'm looking for a new mod because I'm interested in TC and other wires, and I'd like to try the bigger RDTAs. I've narrowed down my options based on local availability, price, reviews & reported issues.

1) the Reuleaux RX 2/3 - good price, 2-battery option for when I leave the house
2) Therion DNA75 - 2x the price of the Reuleaux
3) Hcigar VT75 nano - same price as the Therion, runs on 1 18650

[Previously eliminated: Skar DNA75 & Hcigar VT75*, SX Mini Q Class (expensive, like 2x the Therion), Sigelei 213 (priced here at 1.5x the RX2/3), IPV6 (reverse polarity protection problem).]

I liked the Skar DNA75 & Hcigar VT75 because of the 26650/18650 option but someone on reddit says the DNA75 doesn't accurately read the battery charge of the 26650.

Any advice would be great.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, ask yourself this... are you THAT serious of a vaper? Are you going to be competing, or are you just looking for a solid device to help you stop smoking and make some big clouds, like the rest of us? If so, get yourself that Reuleaux. Considering the convenience and features you just spoke of, my guess is that's what you actually need.

Are DNA chips great? Of course they are. But if you pay $120 -$130 (instead of like $45-$55) for a mod that is way less powerful, and can't touch the battery life of the 3-batt capable Reuleaux, then you're essentially buying a toy. Not that there's anything wrong with a toy. Toys are fun. No one needs a sports car or a remote control plane, but people buy them too.

Also, since it seems you're into building, you're going to want something that cranks out more than 75 watts. This is my reasoning, of course your cost/benefit is what matters most.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
IMHO the 3 best boards for TC are:

1.) Hohmtech FSK
2.) Evolv DNA
3.) Yihi

In that order. Anything else for TC is really 2nd tier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
Well, ask yourself this... are you THAT serious of a vaper? Are you going to be competing, or are you just looking for a solid device to help you stop smoking and make some big clouds, like the rest of us? If so, get yourself that Reuleaux. Considering the convenience and features you just spoke of, my guess is that's what you actually need.

Are DNA chips great? Of course they are. But if you pay $120 -$130 (instead of like $45-$55) for a mod that is way less powerful, and can't touch the battery life of the 3-batt capable Reuleaux, then you're essentially buying a toy. Not that there's anything wrong with a toy. Toys are fun. No one needs a sports car or a remote control plane, but people buy them too.

Also, since it seems you're into building, you're going to want something that cranks out more than 75 watts. This is my reasoning, of course your cost/benefit is what matters most.

Thanks for the input. Yes, I'm pretty serious about this. I like tinkering -- I find it restful. But no, I'm not into the competition side of vape culture.

I should have included in my original post that 1) I'm a flavor chaser and don't care so much about the clouds although they're pretty; 2) so far I've only done single coil kanthal builds between .5-.7 ohms; 2) I don't really vape beyond 20 watts.

The reason I considered the 200W Reuleaux is because, so far, there aren't too many complaints about its performance and durability, plus the 2-batt option is a positive for me because I won't be comfortable lugging around a 3-batt mod.

And I looked into the DNA75 mods because I read/watched somewhere (there's really so much information & so many diff opinions) that: 1) the Evolv chip is great for efficiency, TC, and even battery protection; 2) TC and Nichrome are great for flavor. TBH, this "hunt" for another mod all started with me wanting a bigger mod for bigger RDTAs.

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
IMHO the 3 best boards for TC are:

1.) Hohmtech FSK
2.) Evolv DNA
3.) Yihi

In that order. Anything else for TC is really 2nd tier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This is the first I've heard of Hohmtech FSK. Thanks. Will do some digging into that.

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years

I would have had that on my list but I haven't found it in the Philippines. The common DNA200 device here is the Triade (too big). I saw one seller offering the Therion DNA200. Both Triade & Therion 200 cost 2.5x-3x the price of the Reuleaux. I should mention, too, that I don't want to import anything that costs more than $50 because dealing with our customs people is a nightmare.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
This is the first I've heard of Hohmtech FSK. Thanks. Will do some digging into that.
hohmslice or hohmwrecker G2 for FSK temp control or DNA boards. outside of those 2 the rest are not as good. YiHi is solid in TC so the IPV5 is a good choice (not the 6 as you stated) Smok alien is OK in temp control but nothing like the DNA or FSK. Whats your budget and what are you looking for specifically?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thanks for the input. Yes, I'm pretty serious about this. I like tinkering -- I find it restful. But no, I'm not into the competition side of vape culture.

I should have included in my original post that 1) I'm a flavor chaser and don't care so much about the clouds although they're pretty; 2) so far I've only done single coil kanthal builds between .5-.7 ohms; 2) I don't really vape beyond 20 watts.

The reason I considered the 200W Reuleaux is because, so far, there aren't too many complaints about its performance and durability, plus the 2-batt option is a positive for me because I won't be comfortable lugging around a 3-batt mod.

And I looked into the DNA75 mods because I read/watched somewhere (there's really so much information & so many diff opinions) that: 1) the Evolv chip is great for efficiency, TC, and even battery protection; 2) TC and Nichrome are great for flavor. TBH, this "hunt" for another mod all started with me wanting a bigger mod for bigger RDTAs.
actually lots of complaints about the RX2/3 durability if you look here on the forums, nothing seems to have more failures then the rx series from wismec. 2nd worst is the cubiod and 3rd probably the smok kooper

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

NiChrome wont work for TC in any mods except FSK (aka hohmtech mods hohmslice and hohmwrecker G2)
the DNA75 chip while great in TC doesn't have great efficiency (85% IIRC) but the DNA200 chip is 97% IIRC also the new DNA250 chip just came out but is pretty limited in mods available for it. If getting a DNA mod the VT133 is probably overall the best option if you can't wait for the new DNA250 mods to come out. price point is under 90 bucks if you look hard enough. dual 18650 battery, DNA200 board, small and 133 watts.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Picture of the Alien, G2, and VT133 side by side
szzns3.jpg

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There's some dirt on your G2... sorta looks like a Jets logo... yuck, might wanna wipe that off :p.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

First of all, Richard actually does have a damn good point about the Wismecs. In fact, he has jogged my memory to the point where I might rescind my previous recommendation of the RX 2/3.

I had an original RX200, and it was an unmitigated piece of garbage. NOTHING would hold firm on the 510 connector, actually had to put a rubber o-ring between the bottom of the tank and the mod to stabilize it, and in about a month, the charge function somehow broke. I sold it off... thank goodness I paid only $35 for it.

I always like to give companies time to improve, but if the 2/3 has also generated complaints, then maybe it's not your best option.

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
Lots of helpful info! :)

hohmslice or hohmwrecker G2 for FSK temp control or DNA boards. outside of those 2 the rest are not as good. YiHi is solid in TC so the IPV5 is a good choice (not the 6 as you stated) Smok alien is OK in temp control but nothing like the DNA or FSK. Whats your budget and what are you looking for specifically?

Couldn't find anyone selling hohmtech products here. The IPV5 is only a bit more expensive than the Wismec but it's hard to find. The Alien is about $73, a Therion DNA75 roughly $96. I'm hoping not to spend more than $100, although if it's worth it (like a DNA200 device), I can manage that. The Therion DNA200 sells here for about $128.

About what I'm looking for: I'd like to try out TC and other kinds of wires. I've only tried kanthal and I'm enjoying it but I'm curious about what the other materials have to offer. I want something that can accommodate 24-25mm RDTAs. The RDTAs I have right now (an Avocado 22 & Serpent Mini 22) deliver much better flavor and a more satisfying vape than my 2 Kangertech mini tanks, but they're convenient for when I'm not home.

actually lots of complaints about the RX2/3 durability if you look here on the forums, nothing seems to have more failures then the rx series from wismec. 2nd worst is the cubiod and 3rd probably the smok kooper

Thanks for this info. Now I can cross off the RX2/3.

NiChrome wont work for TC in any mods except FSK (aka hohmtech mods hohmslice and hohmwrecker G2) the DNA75 chip while great in TC doesn't have great efficiency (85% IIRC) but the DNA200 chip is 97% IIRC also the new DNA250 chip just came out but is pretty limited in mods available for it. If getting a DNA mod the VT133 is probably overall the best option if you can't wait for the new DNA250 mods to come out. price point is under 90 bucks if you look hard enough. dual 18650 battery, DNA200 board, small and 133 watts.

The only seller here who's offering the VT133 is selling it for $152. (Your VT133 looks really nice!) I've only seen one seller offering a Triade DNA250 device but he :cuss:hasn't been very responsive to my inquiries.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ya know, IPV is an excellent thing to consider. Those Yihi chips are great. I currently have an IPVD3, and had an IPV 3Li. Best of all, they are tough as nails... built really well. What websites are you looking at? I understand that being in the Philippines narrows your options.

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
I had an original RX200, and it was an unmitigated piece of garbage.

:giggle:

NOTHING would hold firm on the 510 connector, actually had to put a rubber o-ring between the bottom of the tank and the mod to stabilize it, and in about a month, the charge function somehow broke. I sold it off... thank goodness I paid only $35 for it.

I always like to give companies time to improve, but if the 2/3 has also generated complaints, then maybe it's not your best option.

I've had buyer's remorse over an expensive PV that conked out on me while in dry, safe storage for about 2 years. When I took it out of my box to take up vaping again, it wouldn't switch on even with a new battery. I guess that's why it's taking me so long (going on 3 weeks now haha of obsessive reading & watching) to decide what to get.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Lots of helpful info! :)

Couldn't find anyone selling hohmtech products here. The IPV5 is only a bit more expensive than the Wismec but it's hard to find. The Alien is about $73, a Therion DNA75 roughly $96. I'm hoping not to spend more than $100, although if it's worth it (like a DNA200 device), I can manage that. The Therion DNA200 sells here for about $128.

About what I'm looking for: I'd like to try out TC and other kinds of wires. I've only tried kanthal and I'm enjoying it but I'm curious about what the other materials have to offer. I want something that can accommodate 24-25mm RDTAs. The RDTAs I have right now (an Avocado 22 & Serpent Mini 22) deliver much better flavor and a more satisfying vape than my 2 Kangertech mini tanks, but they're convenient for when I'm not home.
FSK will temp control any wire. DNA boards will temp control any wire except kenthal and nicrhome. most other mods TC only Ni, Ti, and SS wire

overall SS wire is probably the best. every device temp controls it and it can be done in TC or watts mode and is easy to find even in fancy wire types like claptons and vertebraid

NiFe is a great wire and overall better then SS but is hard to find and isn't available in fancy wire types as of now. its just like SS wire but works better in TC but not every mod does it.

My recommendation for wire is SS wire. it's better then kenthal in every way

DNA 200 mods are great. the therion is a great mod, the one quirk of it is you can only have 8 profiles loaded at once so if you switch wire types alot it can fall short. luckily most people don't have that many different types of wires so it's really a non issue. the other quirk is that you need a PC to set it up and customize it. The therion is the same as the VT133 (but better looking IMO) but usually more expensive. I would get one myself but i'm waiting for the DNA250 models with the therion 167 or finder 167. Kanger tanks are good for starters but fall short compared to intermediate and advanced tanks. kanger products as a whole while good are really just for beginners. There are tanks now that can rival most RDAs in flavor and vapor. lately i'm on an RTA kick which is the best of both worlds. your own builds but without having to drip more juice on every couple of hits. The Therion 75 could cause you issues later on with not having enough watts depending how you build and the DNA75 board isn't as good as the DNA 200 and battery life won't be great since it's a single battery mod.

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
I just finished looking for DNA200 devices here and realized the Triade might be a better fit for my hand because of its shape. I checked the width of the Therion and it's kind of huge. I'll visit a vape shop tomorrow or consult a seller about the shape/size of the 2 mods. Will take your recommendation for the SS wire. I was thinking of getting a better RTA but I'll have to put that off -- maybe next month. :D I'm not too worried about Escribe. I use a mac but there are mac users over at the evolv forum that have made it work using Virtualbox, etc.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I just finished looking for DNA200 devices here and realized the Triade might be a better fit for my hand because of its shape. I checked the width of the Therion and it's kind of huge. I'll visit a vape shop tomorrow or consult a seller about the shape/size of the 2 mods. Will take your recommendation for the SS wire. I was thinking of getting a better RTA but I'll have to put that off -- maybe next month. :D I'm not too worried about Escribe. I use a mac but there are mac users over at the evolv forum that have made it work using Virtualbox, etc.
VMware fusion IMO is the best software for runnning a virtual machine on a mac. I use it every day at work.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
it's not easy being a jet fan lol

I'm sorry, I'm not even in my league with that one. I'm a Giants fan, so I don't hate on the J-E-T-S. That whole organization is one big butt fumble. You need a Theo Epstein more than anything else.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'm sorry, I'm not even in my league with that one. I'm a Giants fan, so I don't hate on the J-E-T-S. That whole organization is one big butt fumble. You need a Theo Epstein more than anything else.
hey we have the most buttfumbles of all time it's a record at least lol

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's a ButtFumble-Six, to be technically correct sir!

I had to look at a replay, and in partial defense of Mark Sanchez, the guard was getting pushed into his path by Vince Wilfork, who is the largest man ever created in a lab somewhere I assume.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
That's a ButtFumble-Six, to be technically correct sir!

I had to look at a replay, and in partial defense of Mark Sanchez, the guard was getting pushed into his path by Vince Wilfork, who is the largest man ever created in a lab somewhere I assume.
I know it wasn't all sanchez's fault. our guard got blown off the line instantly and the RB ran the wrong play but it's still pretty funny it would happen to the jets on national TV on thanksgiving day

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I know it wasn't all sanchez's fault. our guard got blown off the line instantly and the RB ran the wrong play but it's still pretty funny it would happen to the jets on national TV on thanksgiving day
Well at least you don't have to worry about any more. But fumble is sitting snugly behind Prescott right now lol

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Well at least you don't have to worry about any more. But fumble is sitting snugly behind Prescott right now lol
Nope just have to worry about Fitz throwing 5 INTs a game

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have both the Reuleaux RX200s and the RX2/3 and have no issues and love them both. Wismec has always been very responsive when I've emailed questions. Just sayin... they are popular for a reason. I know several people with them and everyone is loving them and have no issues. They are also built pretty tough. I've heard of he 510 issues on here but I have yet to meet anyone who is having the issues. Mine all for perfect no matter what I put on them and same for my friends and acquaintances. I also have the IPV 3li, 5 & 6X. They've all been good sturdy boxes. I drive a big truck and just about everything I own has been dropped out of the truck onto pavement.

Last edited:

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
Quick update: I did some more research online, looked at a lot of videos again, and headed over to the evolv forum. Also did some more canvassing. Price-wise here, there's not a big difference between the Triade DNA200 and DNA250. (But wow I saw a lavabox DNA200 selling for about $186. Sometimes, I don't get our sellers.) After all of that, I felt pretty sure I wanted the Triade DNA250. When I was at the B&M, I looked at the RX2/3, the Smok Alien, and the Therion 133. It was the RX2/3 that made me doubt my decision to get a DNA250 device. :) The red and black RX2/3 is pretty sleek. I was looking at everything for about 30 minutes before making my purchase. Went home with a Triade DNA250, 3 new batteries, and a free sample of SS wire. Time to read up some more.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Triade is nice. It's too much for me though. I would never use it to its full potential. That and it's more than I like to spend. I am glad that you found something that you like and are happy with. My old eyes prefer the bigger Reuleaux screen, but that's the beauty of vaping. We all like different things and there's hardware to please everyone.

VU Sponsors