Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
upload_2019-1-18_10-8-29.png

I received this atomizer from wotofo a month ago for the purposes of this writing. The following is simply an account of my experiences.

The elder dragon; or, ryjujin is a collaborative effort between wotofo and Ryusei Sakau, a youtube reviewer based in Japan. It is 22mm diameter at its base; but, bubbles out to 24mm, low profile rda, made to reflect the design of a pagoda.

What is in the package?
Elder Dragon RDA with acrylic 810 driptip
Coil Trimming Tool
Extra Smoked driptip
User Manual
2 Clapton Coil (26Gx3+38G N80 ID 3mm 0.17ohm)
2, 3mm Agleted Cotton
1bag Extra Orings , post Screws and studded 510 pin (squonk pin is pre-installed)
Flat head screw driver and allen key

It is certainly different looking but what are the measurement?

Base = 22mm (0.86in)
Widest point = 24mm (0.94in)
Each airflow port is approximate to be 2.5mm(0.09in)
Height without drip tip or 510 =22mm (0.8in)
Depth of deck = 10.2 mm (0.40 in)
Width of deck = 16.7mm (0.65 in)
Width between postholes = 6mm(0.24in)
Because the dome and shape of the barrel causes the chamber to be so reduced the closest measurement, I am able to get of the size of the combustion chamber is the height between coil and drip tip; which is about 9mm(0.35in)

As you can see from the photos and measurements, this is a textbook flavor maker and does not disappoint.
upload_2019-1-18_10-12-6.png

When I first opened the package, I was struck by the obvious: it looks…different. At first it reminded me of the old Edison light bulbs. That appearance appeals to the electronics nerd in me; so, to me it looks classy; however, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The satin finish of the deck is especially appealing in my humble opinion.

upload_2019-1-18_10-13-32.png

The underside will show a certain degree of branding as well as a protruding positive 510 pin that appears to be hybrid safe; as well as ,two screws for holding in the airflow channels. The airflow channels are removable, for the purposes of cleaning.

upload_2019-1-18_10-15-57.pngupload_2019-1-18_10-16-11.png

The interior of the topcap is domed

upload_2019-1-18_10-17-21.png

The downside to the shape is that despite other 810 dritips fitting on it, the stock one looks the best, in my opinion, which does not bother me, but is worth mentioning. The stock tips are extremely comfortable and work great with the airflow. The other 810 tips I tried all hung over the lip at the driptip base. It also comes with a 510 driptip adapter; which, fits all of the 510 tips I have. The overall build quality is exactly what wotofo have been known for, good quality machining, with great o-ring tension. The one thing i will note, is that the grooves cut into the topcap are a little sharp. I would have preferred to see the edges more rounded off; but, outside of that it is quite nice.

A huge plus is that the postless deck is setup in such a way that your coil leads will always line up with a post hole; whether you wrap clockwise or counter clockwise. This is because; it has four holes, 2 in each side of the deck. Once you clip the leads using the “clipping tool” (think a similar to the coily), just loosen the appropriate Phillips head post screws, drop your coil in and tighten them up. The deck has a groove cut out so that you can drop the coil in while still on your wrapping tool. This is assuming you use the pre-marked, 6mm coil length.

upload_2019-1-18_10-18-49.png

This brings me to the airflow. Look at how the airflow channels are aimed directly at the coil in a downward angle. This serves multiple purposes yet restricts you to using a 3mm ID coil. As stated the airflow angles down, this limits the immediacy at which you can oversquonk, while also forcing liquid into the coil when squonking. It also acts as a ramp, dropping liquid onto the coil when dripping, should you decide to use this as a dripper instead of squonk atty. Not only that but it brings the air directly at and under the coil; hence, giving you wonderful flavorful vapors.

upload_2019-1-18_10-20-9.pngupload_2019-1-18_10-20-28.png

I found this to have superb flavor and great vapor production, with the right build of course. I did notice that it provided the best performance with more coil mass. A simple round wire build with 24g felt to be a bit anemic. Once I popped in my quad core 28x4/40 ss, 3mm ID, coil it really sang. The flavor notes popped and then vape production was excellent. As you can see in the picture above, the squonk hole is directly under the coil and the ramp provided by the airflow, helps to always having a saturated coil; which, means a dense, saturated vape. I have heard a few people mention it can leak. While true, its not as prone as that sounds. I simply don’t hold the squonk bottle down as hard as I do on some other attys. Its almost refreshing, one simple press and the coil is saturated.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The suggested height for the leads is 6mm, which puts the coil just above the airflow, and lets your coil rod sit right into the groove. However, after the suggestion from my best good buddy kingpin!, to drop the coil to 5mm, I found even better flavor. This meant removing the coil from the jig and made wicking just a tad less straight forward. Using regular organic cotton the wicking was still simple. I just rolled the end, slid it through and grabbed it with my tweezers to get over the side wall of the deck. I clipped the end just past the groove then tucked them into the large juice well.

upload_2019-1-18_10-22-40.pngupload_2019-1-18_10-22-53.png
upload_2019-1-18_10-23-3.png
upload_2019-1-19_13-14-2.jpeg
I did notice that if I shut the airflow down to halfway or below that it gave me a bit of a whistle. If the airflow is wide open I don’t notice anything worth noting.

So what is my overall opinion and experience?
For a single coil rda, at this price point, with this build quality, and set of peripherals, the flavor is fantastic. I did notice the flavor was much better with more coil mass. In other words, the round wire builds almost felt hollow, especially compared to the Clapton builds I typically use. However, with the build pictured (30x4/40ss with 26 ka1), it was nothing short of fantastic flavor. As to the vapor production, the same comparison can be made. The vape is ideal for a restricted, direct lung hit. It is hard to dial down the airflow to make it a true mouth to lung and not quite open enough to compare to a wide open vape. The Ryujin truly does shine as a single coil. Restricted direct lung flavor chaser. I had a hadaly for a while, and this tends to offer similar flavor with a slightly more airflow and vape production; additionally it was easier for me to build. It easily accepts chunky builds with it's robust post holes. I have come to really enjoy these single coil flavor chasers. Something like this gives me a stellar vape at below 50w, which is really saving my battery life; and, lending to more enjoyment of single battery squonk boxes.

Pros:

Easy to build
Flavor machine
Build quality
Plenty of accessories
Interesting build design
Airflow channels
Great restricted lung vape
Works great as a squonk atty or dripper

Cons:
Interesting build design
Sharp edges cut into topcap