Become a Patron!

S-body Macro DNA 40

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello all.

Pardon me for being so chatty but I'm really enjoying this forum and all the great info I'm getting here. I'm pretty new to all this but it's definitely taken a front row in my hobby line up. Like my other hobbies, I'm always looking to upgrade gear and try something new. I'm really interested in getting a DNA 40 device and trying my hand at temp control. At first I didn't really see the need but the more I read about temp control, the more I want to try it.

Mods from Vaporshark and Hana have had my eye from the beginning but my being new to this and the price tags have left me weary of taking the plunge. That was until I saw the S-body. The reasonable price, aesthetics and seemingly durable build quality (I've heard the finish on older vaporsharks aren't so great) is making me seriously consider one.

I'm thinking I might make this my bday gift in December and hope that the time in between now and then will allow for kinks to be worked out (I hate being a beta tester) and prices to come down. Even if the price stays the same, it's not out of reach and seems reasonable for such a cool piece of hardware.

I'd love to hear some opinions and possibly alternative suggestions.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ummm... Sbody is a nice device no doubt about it. The DNA is deadly accurate and a great board now that they finally got the kinks worked out.
As to the finish that was a problem with the vsdna40s, of which I have several. The sbody uses a completely different type of finish and is perfectly fine.
But, before you get any mod, make sure it will support the way you like to vape.
The dna40 is a 40w board? Would 40w power what you like?
Will you want more power?
Is this am adv mod or are you getting this as trial?
A hundred dollars is still a sizeable investment for a mod. It may nor be huge but there are other options for less money with more power. Im not talking you out of it, just don't want to see anyone get buyers remorse.
The other issue is, with TC the DNA40 supports nickel only. Which is fine if you vape with a subohm tank or nickel wire. But there are other options. Titanium is widely supported by other mods and stainless steel is starting to show up. Problem is while alot of mods support titanium there are only two on the market now that support stainless: One is the smok xcubeII and the other is the dna200 which can be set to vape any wire that creeps up in the future and sports 200w so you can pretty much vape anything you like. Yihi will have another mod out before the end of the year that is supposed to be on the same level as the dna200.
I guess that long diatribe was my way of saying if you like using a subohm tank or dabbling with a drippper the sbody will be great for you! Its small, tough and kind of cute.
An alternative that is also small would be the ipvd2. Its a 75w mod and will support nickel and titanium. Imho ita not as classy looking though.
Another would be the evic vtc mini, looks much nicer than the ipv and does the TI and nickel as welk

Last edited:

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
F1,

Thanks for the detailed and informative response. 40w would be enough power for me. I usually vape between 20 and 35 watts, occasionally bumping it up to 40 but not often. I'm assuming ADV stands for "all day vape"? If I'm correct in that assumption then yes, this would be a "daily driver" so to speak.

I actually checked out the IPV at my local shop the other day and was very impressed by the size and capabilities. I own a IPV mini 2 and it's been great. I've been using sub ohm tanks since I moved on from my evod and even before I knew what sub ohm vaping was but have not yet dabbled in dripping.

I can definelty relate to your point about only supporting nickel and the limited wattage; after all when i first heard of temp control I thought I didn't think I'd ever try it out and here I am now contemplating one. Same goes for the wattage; while 40 works for me today who knows what I'll need / want in the future.

Lastly, I wanted an evic before I was considering temp control but that menu set up and toggle switch were a real deal breaker for me. Thanks again for your response. I'll be taking all your points into consideration as I continue to shop.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
F1,

Thanks for the detailed and informative response. 40w would be enough power for me. I usually vape between 20 and 35 watts, occasionally bumping it up to 40 but not often. I'm assuming ADV stands for "all day vape"? If I'm correct in that assumption then yes, this would be a "daily driver" so to speak.

I actually checked out the IPV at my local shop the other day and was very impressed by the size and capabilities. I own a IPV mini 2 and it's been great. I've been using sub ohm tanks since I moved on from my evod and even before I knew what sub ohm vaping was but have not yet dabbled in dripping.

I can definelty relate to your point about only supporting nickel and the limited wattage; after all when i first heard of temp control I thought I didn't think I'd ever try it out and here I am now contemplating one. Same goes for the wattage; while 40 works for me today who knows what I'll need / want in the future.

Lastly, I wanted an evic before I was considering temp control but that menu set up and toggle switch were a real deal breaker for me. Thanks again for your response. I'll be taking all your points into consideration as I continue to shop.
This pains me because I love vapor shark as a company, they've always given me excellent CS, and I've been a regular customer of theirs for 2years -in fact I just received my vsdna200 and it is an awesome device ! With 200w and the ability to add in any wire I may want for tc I can see it being relevant for a good ling time. Vaping it right now at 91w and 400° on SS.. At 200$ its a damn good investment.
The sbody is built by a vapor shark affiliate I found out. I kind of wish that was an option when I bought my 40w sharks at its tiny size is just a perfect little stealth vapes and with the subohm tanks nickel is a much easier option FOR now, truthfully I still use my dna40 with nickel ATLANTIS coils. Damn stellar vape and it fits in a shirt pocket, the sbody is even smaller!!! No doubt you'll love it.

But anyway, since you liked the evic- have you seen the evic tc mini? No toggle floppy thing

http://www.vapordna.com/Joyetech-eVic-VTC-Mini-60W-Full-Kit-p/evtcmi.htm

Last edited:

ruthless_ham

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you guys using subtanks or drippers because something I've noticed about temp control is that your nickel wire titanium wire and stainless steel produce carcinogens at higher temperatures to me this now cancer causing agent introduced back into vaping is a step back down towards smoking

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Really dude? Really?
That entire statement is about as intelligent as 'jumbo shrimp'. Seriously.

Temper control..... the nature of which is to not get to High temperatures

Thank you for your concern

Last edited:

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm a subtanker and only have experience with kanthol so I can't weigh in with comments on other kinds of wire. Do you have links to a source regarding the dangers of using other types of wire.

Mmmmmm jumbo skrimps..

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I'm a subtanker and only have experience with kanthol so I can't weigh in with comments on other kinds of wire. Do you have links to a source regarding the dangers of using other types of wire.

Mmmmmm jumbo skrimps..
No need for links, just google it, easy enough to find. Just make sure you do ALL the research and check ALL the facts on it to make informed decisions for yourself.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
F1,

I would be worried about whether the 40w limit of a dna40 is actually enough for your vaping style or not. As it is right now you are already occasionally reaching that max ceiling level. Which if you are a content know exactly where you like it and can be content with where you are, then yes it sounds like a dna40 is a good fit.

The advancement of new sub ohm style tanks are continually taking things up a notch and you mentioned a hobby aspect previously which to me means trying out new advancements and honestly I have some new tanks like the Smok tfv4 for example that a 40-60w device does not let it reach its potential. Not to say I do not get use out of a dna40, but rather just putting it out there that if you do find yourself wanting to try some of the "latest and greatest" you will ideally want a device that allows for more flexibility of allowing you access to use both higher watts and lower watt ranges.

I am not trying to talk you out of a 40 as I have one and it is a reliable mod and is in my rotation, but for me it is a limiting mod that imo does not allow a lot of room for vaping style expansion even if the expansions are occasional, and if I was relying on only one mod to have me covered I would want more power at my disposal.

VU Sponsors