Become a Patron!

Safe/best wattage for .13ohm dual coil

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I installed 2 .3ohm staggered claptons today in my Kylin RTA and can’t find the right wattage. 70 seems to be okay but I don’t get the pop/crackle like I did with the machine made alien .45’s I had in there before (68w sweet spot ). I tried 80w and it seems to be too hot.

So , what does everyone usually run a .13 dual coil at? Thanks.

3761653f2c800acf44508eb14a63dccf.jpg

It was .11 on the meter but not after I tightened it back up and installed on my Cylon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I seriously do not, ever, understand folks that stick complex or hybrid coils into shit and then seem puzzled.

I always start - and usually stay - with plain wire. Plain wire and cotton or rayon.. More or less Ohms; More or less ID; more or less wick.. How in the hell can you otherwise determine any baseline? Sometimes I get REALLY peeved and stuff in a SS wick. (flavor-wise, it trumps everyone).

I'd also point out that the kylin is known to pee all over, and that crack/pop is a VW trait trait that seems to be currently described as "not enough power"; I always backed off, myself. I will test stuff in VW and then [attempt] to set that situation in TC.

(weirdly, today I tried double/triple my usual VW settings as I had read about.. It works some places, but not in others - very strange)

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I seriously do not, ever, understand folks that stick complex or hybrid coils into shit and then seem puzzled.

I always start - and usually stay - with plain wire. Plain wire and cotton or rayon.. More or less Ohms; More or less ID; more or less wick.. How in the hell can you otherwise determine any baseline? Sometimes I get REALLY peeved and stuff in a SS wick. (flavor-wise, it trumps everyone).

I'd also point out that the kylin is known to pee all over, and that crack/pop is a VW trait trait that seems to be currently described as "not enough power"; I always backed off, myself. I will test stuff in VW and then [attempt] to set that situation in TC.

(weirdly, today I tried double/triple my usual VW settings as I had read about.. It works some places, but not in others - very strange)

So. Run it in TC mode ?

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have really mixed results in TC.. And I mean on:
  • istick Pico
  • Gbox 200
  • HCigar vt133
I've played with them all - someday, I'll get a YiHi to mutter about. Sometimes TC on gbox or vt133 is really .. tolerable. Usually, I get peeved and just run VW. I am sure, absolutely sure, a Purist will tell me "you just don't do it right!", (like I have never heard that before ;-) - and I could care less. While I often ask for advice on it, it seems so variable/variant and subjective that all I can conclude is it's like voodoo, religion and quantum physics. It's the Tinkerbell issue.. Sorry, I won't "believe" for the sake of believing.

I have run SS316L in TC mode in several places; I run it in several places.. Hell, I set my boss up on my old R91% and Pico in TC - and never hear him complain, (which is a bit unusual, so I suspect he smokes more than vapes). If a setup works well in VW - in SS, I try it in TC.. I can live in VW, so it's always experimental and subjective - to ME. Sometimes it works OK in TC, too.. BUT, it's not necessarily repeatable.

If you are using SS, then sure: try it in TC as well. Whatthehell: at worst it should protect a cotton wick, right? I simply don't believe it's an end-all. If VW works better, then use VW. Kanthal is only commonly used in VW; SS can work in both. (The True-Believer Ni80 folks can sub that for Kanthal all above and I mean exactly the same: if it works, fine - otherwise, move on.)

I would like to point out here - well, everywhere, but here is what we got...: There is no BEST or SAFEST ok? This is a goddamned subjective term. Subjective, context-sensitive, etc. Corn makes me sneeze, but I love it; Fish will kill a coworker. Best for me is not for you - and vice-versa. FREEDOM is about learning your own BEST/tolerable/WORST - your.own.

/e goes back to reloading and spinning coils...

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep. That’s what I figured.
“Vape until you find the right settings”

The Cylon has a good TC interface but yeah it’s Kanthal A1.

My 316L SS coils will be here Tuesday.

I don’t run my Kylin Mini in TC either and there’s a Fralian 316L in that.

Thanks for the advice.

VU Sponsors