Become a Patron!

Safe Coil Questions!

Hello guys and girls! I am extremely new so apologies in advance. If I say something completely incorrect, please let me know so I can correct it. Thanks :)

So I recently bought a t-priv kit (using the V8 big baby tank). It came with a pre-installed V8 Baby-Q2 that runs 0.4 ohms, and an extra V8 Baby-T8 that runs 0.15 ohms. I have been using the Temperature Control mode at 570 degrees Fahrenheit at 70 watts and it has been working very well.

I am soon going to need to change the coil out for a new one. I would like to use the T8, but I am worried about the dangers of the extremely low ohms. Should I simply buy another Q2? Or can I feel safe using the T8, and if so, at what settings?

Edit: I am looking for more vapor; not worried about flavor.

I appreciate any information, whether it be answering my question, or simply explaining how something works.

Thanks!

Joe

Last edited:

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
If you want to blow clouds, you need lower ohm and high watts. Stock coils the T6 is best, but you will never get as big of a cloud from stock coils as opposed to an RBA of some kind with your own coils.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
bigger clouds = higher temperature and more airflow to compensate for the extra heat. If you want really big clouds, switch to and RDA. Something like a MutationX. For clouds, you want a large coil as well. Nichrome is best because it gives about 1 extra wrap over the same resistance coil made of kanthal. Use a larger ID Core. 3 to 3.5mm id. (inner diameter)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Get it out of TC mode now, those are not tempature coils, you will cause some serious damage dude. Stay near the coil range in wattage mode.

It won’t cause damage it will just fire the coil like wattage mode because it won’t detect any resistance change in the metal

Essentially OP you are firing this at 70w might as well flick over to wattage mode though smok coils are Kanthal which aren’t suitable for TC on this device it won’t limit the temp like you think it’s doing

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
It won’t cause damage it will just fire the coil like wattage mode because it won’t detect any resistance change in the metal

Essentially OP you are firing this at 70w might as well flick over to wattage mode though smok coils are Kanthal which aren’t suitable for TC on this device it won’t limit the temp like you think it’s doing

Oh, I thought it would've fucked up, my bad.

I had no idea. Thanks for the help! Ill switch it over to wattage mode.

bigger clouds = higher temperature and more airflow to compensate for the extra heat. If you want really big clouds, switch to and RDA. Something like a MutationX. For clouds, you want a large coil as well. Nichrome is best because it gives about 1 extra wrap over the same resistance coil made of kanthal. Use a larger ID Core. 3 to 3.5mm id. (inner diameter)
Alright I understood most of what you just said :D So,
1. Does an RDA require you to be building your own coils? because I don't feel confident doing that myself yet
2. Will the Mutation X that you suggested fit my mod?/Is there a standard size for the threads on all mods?

Thanks for your help!

If you want to blow clouds, you need lower ohm and high watts. Stock coils the T6 is best, but you will never get as big of a cloud from stock coils as opposed to an RBA of some kind with your own coils.
Could you explain how the T6 rated at 0.2 ohms will blow better clouds than the T8 at 0.14? And I will definitely be looking into RBAs as an option.

Thanks!

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Could you explain how the T6 rated at 0.2 ohms will blow better clouds than the T8 at 0.14? And I will definitely be looking into RBAs as an option.

Thanks!

Well in terms of clouds, it won't. But it does last a little bit longer than the t8's kinda figured ya didn't want to be buying coils as often, especially since smok is not known for good packs of coils. Every single box of smok coils I have bought, there has been at least one dud. I'd look into an RBA honestly, then the whole buy coil thing ain't an issue.

EDIt auto correct refuses to stay off

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
1. Does an RDA require you to be building your own coils? because I don't feel confident doing that myself yet
2. Will the Mutation X that you suggested fit my mod?/Is there a standard size for the threads on all mods?

Thanks for your help!
1 yes, you can build your own coils or you can buy them. The advantage is still... you can rewick and dry burn the coil to clean it. I often get 3 to 4 week from a set. I usually go through about 75ml per week.
2 yes. Standard 510 thread. MutationX has a massive amount of airflow available. 2 on the bottom and 18 vent holes on the sides. (9 per side) which you can open or close to your liking.

Coil building, especially for clouds, is so easy that a 10 yr old can, and probably has done it. Ever straightened a paperclip and wrapped it around a pencil (nail,etc)? There's your coil. (don't vape with a paperclip).
I made a video series for new vapers. All you need it the first one to start with Just a simple coil.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/how-to-build-you-first-basic-coil-for-new-vapers.298828/

Tsunami RDA gives better flavor and pretty decent clouds. But for balls out clouds.. MutX ftw.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Thanks for your help!

There’s no rush building your own coils if you don’t feel confident yet but in the long run it will save you money and the vape experience is much better ....it’s a worthwhile endeavour researching for sure :)

510 is the standard connection in the industry some attys have longer or shorter length of the screw in bit and better positive pins that stick out at the end but for the most part this won’t be a problem for you

Maybe take a peek at the coil building section as well jump in some of the threads already started for new coil builders :)

VU Sponsors