Become a Patron!

Safe voltage for 18650 samsung 25R.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people, I have been experimenting with my mod, and have an almost unlimited supply of 'practice juice' (I got a litre of PG and a litre of VG, I am experimenting to find what suits me best. I am currently using a 70% VG, 30% PG, and have made one the opposite way round, I will use that one on my next fill to see the difference).

Now, I notice when I use my device in the middle-high, say 18 watts, the battery is at 6.1 volts. At 30, it is 7.9 volts. At 5 watts, it is 3.2 volts.

Reading the battery, it says it is a 3.7 volt battery. How does it manage to output, at say 30 watts, safely? Is there a capacitor or something inside the mod? As I gather near 8 volts would be dangerous for the battery.

So, I hope someone more experienced could chime in and answer for me, as I found a sweet spot around 17 watts, but that is 7 volts, and I am worried I could somehow damage the battery, although I do not believe the device would let me use it if it would damage it.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good question. I've been wondering about that, myself.
Yeah, that's a lotta juice!! High VG for clouds, of course.
If you want to vape at low volts (say, 3.2), then use or build a lower ohm coil. Plug the numbers into VapeCalc to see how lowering the ohms also lowers the voltage.
3.2 volts + 0.6 ohms = 17 watts.
I guess that's why sub-ohming came on the scene. By lowering the ohms, less volts were needed to vape at high watts.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You shouldn't worry about the voltage, you should worry about the amperage the mod needs to pull in order to reach the desired wattage.
But anyway, R25 is more then capable of handling 30W.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The electronics inside you device "plays tricks" with the voltage and amperage delivered by the battery.

For example, the power lines from your local power company will carry about 125,000 volts at about 17 amps.

But your electric stove runs on 240v at a bit less than 20 amps.

Something has changed by the time the current reaches your home.

And it is the Transformers located on the power poles that "Adjust" the power from the lines to something suitable for your home needs.

You don't need to understand exactly how your mod works, you just have to know that it does.

And I am sure some of the other VU members will jump in at any time now to do a much better job of explaining it than I have.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good question. I've been wondering about that, myself.
Yeah, that's a lotta juice!! High VG for clouds, of course.
If you want to vape at low volts (say, 3.2), then use or build a lower ohm coil. Plug the numbers into VapeCalc to see how lowering the ohms also lowers the voltage.
3.2 volts + 0.6 ohms = 17 watts.
I guess that's why sub-ohming came on the scene. By lowering the ohms, less volts were needed to vape at high watts.
Im glad my device is 30 watts, and can subohm. I only had it a little while but already want to try it. I must thank everyone that recommended the segelei to me, including UncleRJ.

I a using a 30VG/70PG today to tell the difference. It feels smoother on my throat but there is less clouds(although still pretty good clouds) I think I will most likely either go 70VG/30PG or if that doesn't give enough flavour from the concentrates I'l go 50/50, 50/50 may also be likely due to feeling nicer on my throat.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So just to get this straight, if I wanted to I could use a 0.5 up to 2 ohm coil from 5-30 watts on my device safely, with the samsung 25R battery?

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
You can do anything the mod will let you!

That's why I like regulated mods with all the built in protections they offer.

So just feed the thing charged Samsung 25R batteries, sit back without worries and just enjoy your vape!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can do anything the mod will let you!

That's why I like regulated mods with all the built in protections they offer.

So just feed the thing charged Samsung 25R batteries, sit back without worries and just enjoy your vape!
This is actually great. I'm even more impressed than I was with it now! I don't see why people use unregulated, these seem so much safer and easier!

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is actually great. I'm even more impressed than I was with it now! I don't see why people use unregulated, these seem so much safer and easier!
Yeah, I wonder the same thing. That's why I bought a couple of unregulated mechanical mods in order to find out why people like them.

LetTheLuckRoll

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
the tubes were a fad that are slowly going out the door. regulated is hands down safer and easier to use and in my opinion better.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I wonder the same thing. That's why I bought a couple of unregulated mechanical mods in order to find out why people like them.
how did you find the unregulated mods? I'd rather ask someone who has actually tried them what the benefit of them is.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So just to get this straight, if I wanted to I could use a 0.5 up to 2 ohm coil from 5-30 watts on my device safely, with the samsung 25R battery?

YES! Any resistance within the specs of the device. 30 watts to the battery side of the regulator is all the same.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
how did you find the unregulated mods? I'd rather ask someone who has actually tried them what the benefit of them is.
They are called mechanical or "mech" mods. Simplicity, small size and efficiency are their advantages. Power is determined solely by the build. Hence the super sub ohm RDA builds some talk about on here...

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Unregulated mods or Mechs were the biggest and best things for producing the power for big time flavor and vapor production before the advent of today's really powerful regulated devices.

Back then, things like the eGo batteries were regulated but only to around 3.7v. Then V V devices started hitting the market but the top end on those was only around 6v. And they were a bit pricy for what they were.

Then came the VW mods. The first one came from Evolv in the form of a really pricy device called the DNA20 and I think the price was near $300 when and if you could get one.

Then the Chinese cloned the technology and prices went way down and available wattage went way up.

And while mechs are not actually needed any longer to get raw power to RBA and RDAs and all the other toppers out there, a lot of people still love them and some of them can be considered works of art.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unregulated mods or Mechs were the biggest and best things for producing the power for big time flavor and vapor production before the advent of today's really powerful regulated devices.

Back then, things like the eGo batteries were regulated but only to around 3.7v. Then V V devices started hitting the market but the top end on those was only around 6v. And they were a bit pricy for what they were.

Then came the VW mods. The first one came from Evolv in the form of a really pricy device called the DNA20 and I think the price was near $300 when and if you could get one.

Then the Chinese cloned the technology and prices went way down and available wattage went way up.

And while mechs are not actually needed any longer to get raw power to RBA and RDAs and all the other toppers out there, a lot of people still love them and some of them can be considered works of art.
Ahh, so its older technology then? A few years ago how much would something similar to my sigelei cost? I'm never going to to unregulated, as it seems outdated and unexessary, BUT I undertstand some people may like them, I have no issue with that.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi people, I have been experimenting with my mod, and have an almost unlimited supply of 'practice juice' (I got a litre of PG and a litre of VG, I am experimenting to find what suits me best. I am currently using a 70% VG, 30% PG, and have made one the opposite way round, I will use that one on my next fill to see the difference).

Now, I notice when I use my device in the middle-high, say 18 watts, the battery is at 6.1 volts. At 30, it is 7.9 volts. At 5 watts, it is 3.2 volts.

Reading the battery, it says it is a 3.7 volt battery. How does it manage to output, at say 30 watts, safely? Is there a capacitor or something inside the mod? As I gather near 8 volts would be dangerous for the battery.

So, I hope someone more experienced could chime in and answer for me, as I found a sweet spot around 17 watts, but that is 7 volts, and I am worried I could somehow damage the battery, although I do not believe the device would let me use it if it would damage it.
Regulated mods are essentially rectifiers that boost/buck voltage to the desired setting. The power source (battery) starts at 4.2v fully charged and then goes down in volts as the charge gets used. Don't worry about the battery voltage, your mod takes care of that.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I gather inside the mod there is capacitors and so forth that can hold a charge, as the battery is running at full charge from 4.2v down to 3.something when empty, and this is what allows one battery to run at 8 volts?
I imagine when unregulated mods were about it was a lot harder than now.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I gather inside the mod there is capacitors and so forth that can hold a charge, as the battery is running at full charge from 4.2v down to 3.something when empty, and this is what allows one battery to run at 8 volts?
I imagine when unregulated mods were about it was a lot harder than now.
Nope, no capacitors. It's the board and its function as a rectifier (boosts voltage) that allows the mod to run at 8 volts. Think of it as a transformer that boosts voltage.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope, no capacitors. It's the board and its function as a rectifier (boosts voltage) that allows the mod to run at 8 volts. Think of it as a transformer that boosts voltage.
ahh ok, I'l think of it as a transformer then. Kind of like how your phone takes 240V from the wall but the charger turns it into 5V? Just a step up instead of step down in this case?

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Mech tubes are just broken flash lights. Seriously broken flash lights.
One of the very early mechs on the market was exactly that, a modified flashlight. I do love my mechs, though, for their simplicity and the fact that there's no electronics to die. A properly cared for mech will last virtually forever and survive through any vapegeddon (or at least until they no longer make batteries that fit them).

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mech tubes are just broken flash lights. Seriously broken flash lights.
Wait, wait, original mods were broken flashights modified to take a coil? And it would still fire even with a dead short, or other problem, Causing potentional serious issues?
I think I will stick to my safer devices, and leave the broken flashlights to the oldschoolers lol( No diss on people who use these type of mod, they were probably the in thing when I first started vaping ( Around 2012-13)just too unsafe for me, especially with my memory issues, it would be a disaster waiting to happen).

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wait, wait, original mods were broken flashights modified to take a coil? And it would still fire even with a dead short, or other problem, Causing potentional serious issues?
I think I will stick to my safer devices, and leave the broken flashlights to the oldschoolers lol( No diss on people who use these type of mod, they were probably the in thing when I first started vaping ( Around 2012-13)just too unsafe for me, especially with my memory issues, it would be a disaster waiting to happen).
No the first mechs were modified flash light tubes.
Throg screw drivers, the silver bullets, nhalers etc.
Tube + battery + switch (broken part so it did not click on and stay on) + 510 = mech mod.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No the first mechs were modified flash light tubes.
Throg screw drivers, the silver bullets, nhalers etc.
Tube + battery + switch (broken part so it did not click on and stay on) + 510 = mech mod.
Wow, my minds actually blown. I didn't the first mods were modified flashlights. I guess thats why the 18650 is popular too, as it is a flashlight battery?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wow, my minds actually blown. I didn't the first mods were modified flashlights. I guess thats why the 18650 is popular too, as it is a flashlight battery?
Pretty much, the 350 was king and stacked 350s. but realize most if not all atties were 510s. 801s, 901, very few 360s at the time. and the 1.2 was considered very LOW resistance at the time.
Cartos? wtf are those?
RDA/RBA? none there either.
Tanks? you mean those big metal things that hold water?

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
anyone recognize this mod?

panzer-mech-mod-clone.png

Originally the Panzer Mod was a flashlight, got modified, and now is a popular mech mod.

Look up specs. The R25 has a 100W burst for a short time whole fired. I think they are the best on market but that's me

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The Protege, another modified flashlight that used a 14500 battery (same size as AA) and atomizers from 901 and 510 ecigs. The AA size resulted in a person/idiot using a Radio Shack Ni-MH battery in his Protege V3, which resulted in an explosion and a lawsuit.
ps_protege.jpg

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can't beat a mech for versatility.

Want to vape at 80W on you 50W regulated device? Sorry, you're out of luck. Want to vape at any conceivable wattage up to the safe limit of your battery? Go right ahead.

Want to try a mech? Grab a cheap fasttech nemesis clone and an appropriate battery, be safe, ohm meter your builds and try it out. If you like it do thebdecent thing and buy a genuine mod. For the price if a clone you can either use it as a vape to take to work, pay it forward ( after assessing the persons readiness for using a mech) or even bin the thing if you want, they're so cheap.

VU Sponsors