Become a Patron!

Safest way to do this?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people, this is a bit of a strange one, but here goes.

I have a huge field behind my house where this can be carried out.

I pulled 2 ICR samsung 4 amp max batteries from an old camcorder, but realised I can not use them, they are wrapped in plastic ready to be dumped.

I was thinking, why not film them venting? I coult attach the negative first to some twisted together wire with strong tape, and then within 1 Second attach the positive with tape, and then run.
How long would it then take generally to vent? As it is ICR I know it will be a bit more boomy, and less venty, but I want to know I have enough time to attach+get to a safe distance to watch + film clearly.

These are ICR, so I am hoping for a good, explosive vent like on that video on youtube.(As in good for the camera, not for vapers lol)

I will get my fiancee to film this. Like I said, it will be in a huge field. The grass is pretty Damp, so I will probably chuck it on top of some cardboard while it vents, but they have no use to me. I don't even want to use them in my flashlight as they are unprotected ICR's.

I know its not a good idea, but I am a man, and I enjoy blowing things up ( In a controlled manner, not in my hand lol).

There is really no other use for these batteries, so I thought why not film them venting as an educational video on the dangers of these type of battery if pushed over the limit, and fun for me in blowing up a useless battery.

If I would not have enough time to attach and get away, I will not attempt this experiment/blowing up fun.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I could take small fire extinguisher for chemicals if needed, or a bucket of sand?

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your funny.

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk
I am a bit strange. If you meant in the Ha-ha way though, thank you :). But seriously, would I have time to get away or not? From most videos I see, I have well enough time, but I just wanted to ask first incase it can happen quicker.

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am also wondering what would be better for a bigger vent- fully charged or nominal voltage? My guess is fully charged, but I may be wrong.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd advise against it, as fun as it sounds. Think of the worst case scenarios... Like eating shrapnal, or accidentally causing the grass in the field to catch fire, or catching domestic terrorism charges for bomb making.

Not worth it, lol.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually, the terrorism thing could be quite true. Destined for the bin then these batteries. I will not be blowing any batteries up in the near future lol.

There has already been an accidental fire over there, that OBVIOUSLY was not me, but it was a rather big one, I believe the people involved had took the guts out of about 50 fireworks and put them all in a 2 litre coca cola bottle, then lit the fireworks. The people involved wasn't very impressed with the display I hear, but as they walked home, they turned around to plumes of smoke. Apparently the purpurtrators went back the next day, and there was a rather large patch that had caught. I even went along to have a look, it was quite bad.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
W
Don't just throw them in the bin they could vent in there too if you have any metal in there.

Thank you, I was not going to put them in the normal rubbish, but I don't know what to do with them? As normal battery recycling banks don't take them here in the UK, what would be best to do with the battery? Discharge and bury lol?

richardward77

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To be fair I haven't binned one yet so not sure I live in UK too and iv seen buckets in some shops where you can dump them.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My local sainsburys has one, but I did't think they took Li-ion batteries? I'm going past there later, I will have a look.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This link may prove helpful:

http://www.erp-batteries.co.uk/which/

If not, I'd Google the phrase "cell phone battery recycling uk" or "laptop battery recycling UK" and see what local info you can find. Most cell phones and laptops have similar chemistry batteries, so the places that accept phone and laptop batteries for recycling should be able to take them.

Many of the automotive battery recycling places are only interested in recovering the metal inside the batteries, I believe, so they have no interest in other cells.

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I would definitely not suggest that nor condone it on this forum bro. This forum is intended for safety and not for experimental contained venting lol

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My local sainsburys has one, but I did't think they took Li-ion batteries? I'm going past there later, I will have a look.
Disposable camera batteries and 123 sized batteries are lithium cells. Put a piece of gaffers tape over the positive contact and drop 'em in the battery recycling bin at your local Sainsburys.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Disposable camera batteries and 123 sized batteries are lithium cells. Put a piece of gaffers tape over the positive contact and drop 'em in the battery recycling bin at your local Sainsburys.
Thanks mate. I will whack some gaffer tape over the ends and whack them in.

Gaffer and not duct yeah? A lot of people think they are the same, but I used to have to be 'the gaffer' at concerts sometimes, Its not as strong as duct but stops you tripping on wires, and is available in different colouurs so you know what channel it is on the mixer ETC.

I am full of useless facts like these. One day they will come in handy.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Pretty sure just about any tape will do... Except that foil tape that they actually use on ducts. THAT might pose problems.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pretty sure just about any tape will do... Except that foil tape that they actually use on ducts. THAT might pose problems.
Ok, I just wanted to be 100% positive I weren't going to burn down my local sainsbury's. I can see the headline now "Ex alcoholic with a staff vendetta torches sainsburys" lol. Nah but in all seriousness, thanks, Il just use some gaffer tape over both ends and chuck them in Sainsburys, I have one 5 minutes away so not too far. Probably take them tommorow.

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol no worries go for it!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I would definitely not suggest that nor condone it on this forum bro. This forum is intended for safety and not for experimental contained venting lol
Very true. Maybe the torch forum will like it? Nah only messing, I am going to put them in the sainsburies recycling tommorow. You have to admit though, do you enjoy videos of people doing silly things and blowing things up? I know I do. Blame it on the brain damage lol.

VU Sponsors