Become a Patron!

Samsung 30t

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Trying to find out the C rating of this battery, and known if it’s safe for about a .1 build. Any help? I’m told it’s fine, but not being a veteran on mechs, I like multiple answers before I do anything, as I’m still learning.

Edit: on further research, I’m seeing that’s a good pulse rating, but in the case of an auto-fire.... it’s too much.
But in hearing this is such a killer battery, what the hell else are people using with a .1? Is it just a matter of “don’t put the bitch in your pocket”?
https://www.imrbatteries.com/samsung-30t-21700-3000mah-35a-battery/

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The C-ratings are 1.33 C (charge, max.) and 11.67 C (discharge, max.). But C-ratings are not really that useful... to be able to get good cycle life out of any lithium ion rechargeable battery, make sure that you keep the battery temperature below 45°C (113°F), preferably at all times.

As for pulse ratings... well, they are useless because we don't know the details about how exactly the batteries were pulsed. Yes, auto firing can be a problem with mech mods and is one of several reasons why anyone giving advice to someone who is still new to mech mods is forced to say you have to stay below the Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR), which, for the Samsung 30T, is 35A. But there are no hard and fast numbers that are safe and unsafe to vape. So the CDR was not picked because it is safe, but rather, it was picked because it is a reasonable safety limit to recommend to people. Lithium ion rechargeable batteries are not safe. It is dangerous to use these batteries. It is dangerous to vape on them. They were never designed to be used outside a fully protected battery pack with a protection circuit. So no, it isn't just a matter of keeping the bitch out of your pocket, but rather, it is a matter of finding your own path by learning and understanding the risks so that you can make an informed decision as for how far you want to take it. Familiarize yourself with the mechanics of your mod and learn how to stop it from auto firing before it will be too late, and, if you, like me, want to put the mod in your pocket, invest in a mod the button on which can't get pressed by accident for a long period excepting only if you are a pinhead, AND, in addition to that, whatever you do don't be a pinhead. :D Learn how fast your battery heats up due to not just the ohms, but the ohms in conjunction with how long each pull lasts and how long you wait between pulls. Last but not least, google for Battery Mooch (if you haven't already).

Last edited:

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The C-ratings are 1.33 C (charge, max.) and 11.67 C (discharge, max.). But C-ratings are not really that useful... to be able to get good cycle life out of any lithium ion rechargeable battery, make sure that you keep the battery temperature below 45°C (113°F), preferably at all times.

As for pulse ratings... well, they are useless because we don't know the details about how exactly the batteries were pulsed. Yes, auto firing can be a problem with mech mods and is one of several reasons why anyone giving advice to someone who is still new to mech mods is forced to say you have to stay below the Continuous Discharge Rating (CDR), which, for the Samsung 30T, is 35A. But there are no hard and fast numbers that are safe and unsafe to vape. So the CDR was not picked because it is safe, but rather, it was picked because it is a reasonable safety limit to recommend to people. Lithium ion rechargeable batteries are not safe. It is dangerous to use these batteries. It is dangerous to vape on them. They were never designed to be used outside a fully protected battery pack with a protection circuit. So no, it isn't just a matter of keeping the bitch out of your pocket, but rather, it is a matter of finding your own path by learning and understanding the risks so that you can make an informed decision as for how far you want to take it. Familiarize yourself with the mechanics of your mod and learn how to stop it from auto firing before it will be too late, and, if you, like me, want to put the mod in your pocket, invest in a mod the button on which can't get pressed by accident for a long period excepting only if you are a pinhead, AND, in addition to that, whatever you do don't be a pinhead. :D Learn how fast your battery heats up due to not just the ohms, but the ohms in conjunction with how long each pull lasts and how long you wait between pulls. Last but not least, google for Battery Mooch (if you haven't already).

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I plan to use a mech only sitting at home. No travel, no pockets, no backpacks. And even on regulated mods, I don’t vape the batteries hot. Sometimes warm if I’m just pulsing after a fresh coiling or wicking. But even then, I won’t build or test coils on a mech. I’m all about safety. Maybe a safe bet to start with a higher resistance would be recommended until I learn my device and battery and how it hits? The only thing I don’t have yet is the mod, as I’ve been learning and shopping around for months. It’s not a thing I ever wanted to just jump into. Im contemplating the Dreamer by Timesvape as I’m hearing good things, and also seeing advanced players using it with similar builds. Appreciate the long response. Be cool and stay safe!

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Personally I feel safer with a mech instead of a regulated. If your build is stable and your ohms reader is accurate (and verified that it is accurate), then there shouldn't be a problem if you always avoid a hard short─you know... torn battery wraps, damaged insulator ring around the positive (top) contact of the battery, coils touching the inside of the cap on your RDA... all the basic stuff to always avoid no matter what─because it ain't rocket science to learn how to feel that the battery is starting to get warm (unless maybe the tube has a delrin lining on the inside that keeps the outside of the tube from getting equally warm fast) and knowing when it's time to put the mod down for a couple of minutes. I vape on a .11 build with a single Sony VTC5A (and now also VTC5D) on a daily basis, and have been doing so for a year. Going above the CDR is not without added risk, but I know that because I learned that from Mooch, just like I also learned from Mooch the fact that pure recklessness and a little added risk whilst knowing what you're doing are a very far distance apart. Sadly, mechs might eventually be getting banned by the FDA due to too many pinheads walking on the face of the Earth.

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, there are plenty of pinheads around. I always keep my batteries in tip top shape. If I need to wrap them more than once, I just toss them. I have enough, anyway. I also want a mech with no lining just for that reason....to feel any heat. I won’t be slamming batteries in there, so I’m not worried about scratches or anything. My builds are also always solid. I check that my leads are completely tight more than once during a build. And coils shorting on the sleeve or anything has never been an issue, but I usually swing my cap back and forth a little to gauge how much room I have. Even on regulated mods. Just habits I’ve kept with me since I started building. I’ll just go slow to start and get a feel for my “hit count” or battery warmth etc....

Branpro

Member For 4 Years
Love the mod and batteries, I can vouche! Mooch recently posted about that battery on IG. I think you can’t go wrong with that mod, great bang for your buck imo, and those batts are great!

Attachments

• 2BACD74D-9D1E-4809-811E-B555157205BD.jpeg
    2BACD74D-9D1E-4809-811E-B555157205BD.jpeg
    735.5 KB · Views: 20
  • FCE99A78-7B8F-405A-BE59-AD6A351CBE79.jpeg
    FCE99A78-7B8F-405A-BE59-AD6A351CBE79.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 5D04D199-BF52-43E3-A1E3-0229F14557E4.jpeg
    5D04D199-BF52-43E3-A1E3-0229F14557E4.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 20

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Love the mod and batteries, I can vouche! Mooch recently posted about that battery on IG. I think you can’t go wrong with that mod, great bang for your buck imo, and those batts are great!

Yeah, my batteries just shipped finally. What mod is that?

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have the 30T batteries running in a Tauren Mech Mod. I LOVE THESE BATTERIES!! One 30T hits harder than my parallel box mod does with 2 VTC5A batteries or VTC4 batteries. Mooch tested these batteries and said they can achieve 40amps continuous without much problem. According to Ohms law, if you run 0.1ohms at 4 volts you would be pulling 40 amps and with a little voltage sag, I would say this would be ok. I am running 0.11 to 0.12ohms and they are working great! Especially with the Drop RDA! YMMV! Happy Vaping!

32944236_10209536464049066_4734101451175886848_n.jpg

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the 30T batteries running in a Tauren Mech Mod. I LOVE THESE BATTERIES!! One 30T hits harder than my parallel box mod does with 2 VTC5A batteries or VTC4 batteries. Mooch tested these batteries and said they can achieve 40amps continuous without much problem. According to Ohms law, if you run 0.1ohms at 4 volts you would be pulling 40 amps and with a little voltage sag, I would say this would be ok. I am running 0.11 to 0.12ohms and they are working great! Especially with the Drop RDA! YMMV! Happy Vaping!

32944236_10209536464049066_4734101451175886848_n.jpg

Nice mod. Drop is sweet too. Got one as well :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Mooch tested these batteries and said they can achieve 40amps continuous without much problem.
At 40 amps continuous the battery temp can potentially exceed the absolute temp limit of 80°C despite his recent retest showed 78°C. So I doubt Mooch said "without much problem", as he always recommends to stay at or below the CDR, which is still only 35 amps, not 40 amps... if you look at the datasheet you'll see it clearly states the CDR should not be exceeded without first having a discussion about that with SDI.

I own four Vapcell rewraps of this battery (preordered them from NKON in The Netherlands only moments after the battery got added to their website). Using them in my Scoundrels FUK 182021 mod.

Scoundrels.jpg

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At 40 amps continuous the battery temp can potentially exceed the absolute temp limit of 80°C despite his recent retest showed 78°C. So I doubt Mooch said "without much problem", as he always recommends to stay at or below the CDR, which is still only 35 amps, not 40 amps... if you look at the datasheet you'll see it clearly states the CDR should not be exceeded without first having a discussion about that with SDI.

I own four Vapcell rewraps of this battery (preordered them from NKON in The Netherlands only moments after the battery got added to their website). Using them in my Scoundrels FUK 182021 mod.

View attachment 111694

Of course there is no 100% safety guarantee, so I think “without much problem” is geared towards people who aren’t being jackasses and are being smart about how they use batteries and devices. I actually talked to Mooch(yesterday?), and now I’m quite confident in what I’m doing, and the equipment I’ll be putting together.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Of course there is no 100% safety guarantee, so I think “without much problem” is geared towards people who aren’t being jackasses and are being smart about how they use batteries and devices. I actually talked to Mooch(yesterday?), and now I’m quite confident in what I’m doing, and the equipment I’ll be putting together.
Well I think so too, but nevertheless I still very much doubt that Mooch was the guy who geared it towards anyone. In fact he scrapped his MVA ratings some time ago because too many people were misinterpreting/abusing them so, to me, "without much problem" when talking about battery specifics doesn't sound like Mooch at all, and that is despite I do believe you when you say you're quite confident.

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I think so too, but nevertheless I still very much doubt that Mooch was the guy who geared it towards anyone. In fact he scrapped his MVA ratings some time ago because too many people were misinterpreting/abusing them so, to me, "without much problem" when talking about battery specifics doesn't sound like Mooch at all, and that is despite I do believe you when you say you're quite confident.

I guess the bottom line is really “this battery is fine to use, just be responsible”.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I guess the bottom line is really “this battery is fine to use, just be responsible”.
That hollow statement basically applies to almost any battery that you may come across in the vaping universe.

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That hollow statement basically applies to almost any battery that you may come across in the vaping universe.

I meant basically this specific battery for its intended use. It wouldn’t apply to a certain battery that shouldn’t be used in a certain type of mod.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I meant basically this specific battery for its intended use. It wouldn’t apply to a certain battery that shouldn’t be used in a certain type of mod.
Not sure what you mean because the intended use of this specific battery is to use it only inside a fully protected battery pack with a protection circuit so vaping is definitely not part of the intended use, albeit we choose to use the battery for vaping nevertheless, i.e. we're the ones who choose to disregard the intended use by using it for vaping instead.

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure what you mean because the intended use of this specific battery is to use it only inside a fully protected battery pack with a protection circuit so vaping is definitely not part of the intended use, albeit we choose to use the battery for vaping nevertheless, i.e. we're the ones who choose to disregard the intended use by using it for vaping instead.

My point really was, you saying “applies to almost any battery” could mean “yeah, go ahead just throw any ol battery in there” lol. Not saying you meant that, but I just think maybe I didn’t make my initial comment clearer. Which is basically, it’s the right battery for what I’m trying to do, and though we are always at risk, be smart, and you’ll be ok.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Let me clarify - Mooch originally tested the 30T batteries over a year ago and rated them at 40 amps continuous. The latest test he rated them at 35 amps continuous. Bottom line is this is the best battery I have ever used!! My single battery 21700 mod hits better than any of my parallel 18650 mods. That is just awesome!! Really enjoying these batteries. They are amazing!

Happy Vaping!
CV :)

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Let me clarify - Mooch originally tested the 30T batteries over a year ago and rated them at 40 amps continuous. The latest test he rated them at 35 amps continuous. Bottom line is this is the best battery I have ever used!! My single battery 21700 mod hits better than any of my parallel 18650 mods. That is just awesome!! Really enjoying these batteries. They are amazing!

Happy Vaping!
CV :)

Sweet deal! Got my battery sitting here waiting for new mod to arrive lol

VU Sponsors