Become a Patron!

Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mah) - Amp limit question?

Misty Eyes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi newbie question:). I'm looking at the battery drain section of steam engine in respect of the

Samsung 30Q 18650 3000mah battery

http://www.steam-engine.org/batt.asp?b=Samsung_INR18650-30Q&mah=3000&c=5

This is for a single 18650 regulated mod (Evic mini which can go up to 75W power )

I notice that if I select over 50w power in the battery drain section of steam engine that this starts to produce a deficit in amp limit i.e

50w= +12%
60w= -6%
75w= -32%

Am I right in thinking that I should not be using the 30Q beyond around 50w power?

WiSK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
According to Mooch's tests the 30Q might be damaged at 25A, however it is fine at 20A. So presuming you don't discharge it under 3V, it can provide up to 60W safely. The VTCmini does have "weak battery" protection which means it will catch voltage droop under load, but maybe best to recharge the 30Q before it's fully drained.

I've been looking myself for batteries that can handle the VTCmini's new 75W max power. If I look at Mooch's 30A shootout review: the Aspire 1800mAh, the Sony VTC3, and the LG HB6 seem to be the ones with enough rated current for safe long term use. However, they have significantly lower capacity than say VTC4, HG2 or the 30Q you are asking about.

Misty Eyes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Many thanks for the reply Wisk will fully take on board your advise regards the 30Q . Additionally, the Mooch shootout review makes for interesting reading.

I'm completely new to mods and surprised that Joyetech in producing firmware to let the VTC run from 50w at release to 75w did not make it clear that needs particular batteries to do this. (I purchased my VTC mini direct from the uk supplier) This is a shame as the 30Q's were only purchased last week and I would have considered other batteries had I known......though the 30Q does give good capacity.

I have seen the 'weak battery protection' feature in action on the VTC mini, albeit on an elderly samsung 18650 battery (recovered from a laptop) I was using as a stop gap until the 30q's arrived:D

WiSK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
In their defense, Joyetech does recommend Sony VTC4 for use with the VTC mini (see the manual and also http://www.joyetech.com/product/sony-vtc4-cell/).

Who is the UK supplier? By European law, with internet purchases, they must allow you to change/return the 30Qs if you contact them within two weeks of receiving your order.

Misty Eyes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In their defense, Joyetech does recommend Sony VTC4 for use with the VTC mini (see the manual and also http://www.joyetech.com/product/sony-vtc4-cell/).

Who is the UK supplier? By European law, with internet purchases, they must allow you to change/return the 30Qs if you contact them within two weeks of receiving your order.

Thanks Whisk....you are right I am wrong to blame Joyetech uk as they do recommend (and supply) the VTC4.

The 30Q's were purchased elsewhere but as I've used them, I'm happy to stick with them at lower watts and enjoy the higher capacity. If I want to explore 75w territory then I may invest in a better rated battery,

WiSK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've just ordered a pair of aspire "40A" 1800mAh batteries. If they are any good at 75W I'll let you know :)

WiSK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Aspire ICR18650 40A 1800mAh batteries arrived yesterday and I tried them immediately. On 0.06 ohm dual titanium build I no longer get any "weak battery" message. According to the VTCmini it's firing 50W-75W for a good few seconds before getting to temperature. I put the TC up to 260C (500F) and no issues there either.

Even with the high discharge current, and the relatively low rated capacity, one of the batteries lasted all evening with the dripper. Really happy now with my setup.

Misty Eyes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Aspire ICR18650 40A 1800mAh batteries arrived yesterday and I tried them immediately. On 0.06 ohm dual titanium build I no longer get any "weak battery" message. According to the VTCmini it's firing 50W-75W for a good few seconds before getting to temperature. I put the TC up to 260C (500F) and no issues there either.

Even with the high discharge current, and the relatively low rated capacity, one of the batteries lasted all evening with the dripper. Really happy now with my setup.
Many thanks for the update Wisk...
Will need to nab myself a pair of these cells at some stage.

VU Sponsors