Become a Patron!

Sapor RDA coil placement question

mbg247

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I recently started rebuilding dripping atomizers, I have the Sapor RDA. For the most part i've noticed basic coil builds keep the coils relatively low when placed in the RDA. I heard from a video that specifically in the sapor, you get better air flow and flavor with the coil placement closer to the air flow (which is top air flow). Would a higher placement actually cause better flavor, and why/why not?
Thanks in advance :)

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't have one, so I can only guess, but I'd assume flavor would improve with the coils closer to the air holes, much as it does in any other atty. It will at least dial-back throat hit. Because of the direction of the airflow going into the chamber, I'm not entirely sure that it behaves the same, and maybe its meant to perform with the coils further from the intake.

But if anything, I think it would be more important to build close to the air holes in the Sapor because it has vertical airflow. The path that the air has to take to travel under the coils is less straightforward than it is on a horizontal atty, where both the top and underside of the coil are the same distance from the intake. On the Sapor, it has to pass over the top before it can even reach the bottom, and since you're also pulling in air from the top when you inhale, it's not going to be so inclined to go under the coil as it would be on a horizontal-airflow atty, where the air is being pulled from the front of your coils to the center of the atty before making its way up, essentially ensuring that air moves across all surfaces of the coil - front to back, bottom to top.

Basically, you probably want more space for air to move freely under the coil and a more immediate push to get it there than would be necessary on a horizontal-airflow atty. The goal should be to get air moving relatively evenly across the entire outer surface of the coil. If you build too far away, then you're probably only going to get sufficient airflow to the tops of your coils.

Generally speaking, it really depends on how hot of a build you're doing. Less aggressive coils may be starving for heat if you place them too close to the airfow, resulting in a slightly diluted vape. It's a lot like running them with too much airflow in general. More aggressive coils, on the other hand, generally have little trouble continuing to heat up with the airflow coming in right up in front of them and tend to wick more efficiently this way, leading to a thicker, tastier vape.

That's what I find with my builds, anyway. Just my 2c. Only one way to really find out what works for your setup, though.

Last edited:

mbg247

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you for taking the time to expain all that :p yeah i tried placing the coil higher and it resulted in better air flow, better flavor and less spit back (although that could just be how I'm dripping". It was kinda difficult to place the coils higher though, I'm sure with time it will become easier :)

VU Sponsors