https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thankfully I have not eaten one of those critters since I was a wee tot.
But if you like em enjoy em.
They taste great!
But where I’m from if it’s ever crawled, swam, flew or slithered it’s all fair game
(Or rock snot)

Rooster Cogburn

Memento Mori
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
They taste great!
But where I’m from if it’s ever crawled, swam, flew or slithered it’s all fair game
(Or rock snot)
What does squirrel taste like? Please refrain from “like chicken” if at all possible. Is it gamey, lots of nuts for a diet probably lends to a tasty meat. Ooh start raising squirrels for food only feeding them honey roasted peanuts and pistachios. Betcha that would be some tasty meat

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What does squirrel taste like? Please refrain from “like chicken” if at all possible. Is it gamey, lots of nuts for a diet probably lends to a tasty meat. Ooh start raising squirrels for food only feeding them honey roasted peanuts and pistachios. Betcha that would be some tasty meat
It tastes like nutty chicken ... lmao!
- couldn’t resist

seriously though it tastes a lot like rabbit only a little “lighter” or less gamey. If that makes sense.

Rooster Cogburn

Memento Mori
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
It tastes like nutty chicken ... lmao!
- couldn’t resist

seriously though it tastes a lot like rabbit only a little “lighter” or less gamey. If that makes sense.
That does sound good. Some squirrel jerky or squirrel tacos

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. (KWQC) – Luckily, it happened when no one was using the bathroom.

toilet4.jpg

(A-1 Affordable Plumbing)
When a bolt of lightning struck a homeowner’s septic tank Sunday morning in Port Charlotte, the electric blast ignited the methane gas inside.

The resulting explosion traveled through the sewer line with enough force to shatter the master bathroom toilet into hundreds of pieces.

Shards of porcelain which embedded in the bathroom wall caused no injuries because no one was in the bathroom at the time.

“Most likely all sewer piping will need to be replaced [along with the] septic tank,” according to a Facebook post by A-1 Affordable Plumbing, which urges would-be toilet users to be cautious during bad weather.

“No more pooping while it’s storming outside,” the post read

The A-1 Affordable Plumbing Co.is like the Acme Plumbing Co. Safe pooping during storms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
There is a company that makes barricades for road work here in Central Florida named ACME Barricades.
I would have zero faith in those barricades if I did road work.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. (KWQC) – Luckily, it happened when no one was using the bathroom.

toilet4.jpg

(A-1 Affordable Plumbing)
When a bolt of lightning struck a homeowner’s septic tank Sunday morning in Port Charlotte, the electric blast ignited the methane gas inside.

The resulting explosion traveled through the sewer line with enough force to shatter the master bathroom toilet into hundreds of pieces.

Shards of porcelain which embedded in the bathroom wall caused no injuries because no one was in the bathroom at the time.

“Most likely all sewer piping will need to be replaced [along with the] septic tank,” according to a Facebook post by A-1 Affordable Plumbing, which urges would-be toilet users to be cautious during bad weather.

“No more pooping while it’s storming outside,” the post read

Guess this means running a bit of line from the septic tank to a grounding rod is a good thing to consider.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Umm the septic tank is IN the ground..
Seems like it would be pretty well grounded.

Erm, ... And you linked to a story of a septic tank being struck by lightning & it causing a toilet to explode by way of the methane within it. It might have seemed grounded until, that point. So now I think, "what could the extra grounding hurt?"

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
There is a company that makes barricades for road work here in Central Florida named ACME Barricades.
I would have zero faith in those barricades if I did road work.

LoL. I wonder if they know about the cartoon!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can't help but wonder if they didn't have an above ground system - they are very common up here
Above ground is pretty much unknown down here and likely forbidden.
Lightning struck the ground and the septic tank happened to be there is my call on it.
Lived in Tampa for 7 years and those afternoon thunderboomers are killers .
I have seen ground strikes when trees and taller things are around.
Lightning does pretty much what it wants to do.

In middle fl and southward they do not even bury water lines :)
Never stays cold enough long enough to freeze them.
Permathaw.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Erm, ... And you linked to a story of a septic tank being struck by lightning & it causing a toilet to explode by way of the methane within it. It might have seemed grounded until, that point. So now I think, "what could the extra grounding hurt?"
how do you ground concrete/fibergalss septic tank.?
Buried in the ground is as grounded as you can get.
Steel tanks have not been used for decades.
The line was likely PVC.
Lightning just hits the ground in FL. sometimes right beside a tree.
Lightning does what it wants.
It also leave a melted sand/glass thing in the ground where it strikes.
hot stuff will ignite methane.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Septic Tanks used to be common on Long Island in Suffolk County and those were a Steel Tank Above Ground. New Laws and Regulations concerning Ground Water Pollution have required extra piping to Nitrogen and other contaminant removal systems. Never heard of a Lightening Strike blowing one up though.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
how do you ground concrete/fibergalss septic tank.?
Buried in the ground is as grounded as you can get.
Steel tanks have not been used for decades.
The line was likely PVC.
Lightning just hits the ground in FL. sometimes right beside a tree.
Lightning does what it wants.
It also leave a melted sand/glass thing in the ground where it strikes.
hot stuff will ignite methane.

I'd run a bit of copper wire in from the grounding rod, set the lid on over the wire. In FL they also build septic hills that are actually dirt piles above ground, they set the septic tanks into these dirt piles. Dig more than 2 ft down in FL you hit sea water, in most places, and 1 ft in some places.

Tampa? Okay sure maybe there's ground in Tampa. Never stayed there long enough to see. We always joked the bridge over Tampa was the last hill except for septic hills. The Tampa bridge I recall was suspended in air, too.

I was in rural Bunnell down along Flagler Beach. Know what I experienced there. Dug two foot down, started getting sea water in the hole. In some spots I could only dig down one foot. Seems FL is just above sea level like that. Who'd a thunk?

Yes, lightning usually does what it wants & yes hot stuff ignites methane. I didn't suggest either of these were false, or untrue.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A ground wire in a raised pile of dirt would likely cause lighting to strike there vs the lower area around it. Or even a pile of dirt with no ground wire in it?
But then I am not a lightningtologist.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A ground wire in a raised pile of dirt would likely cause lighting to strike there vs the lower area around it. Or even a pile of dirt with no ground wire in it?
But then I am not a lightningtologist.

Agreed. I'm no lighting expert either. Do know though I'd try grounding an above ground dirt pile septic tank. To me doing that would seem kind of logical to do since reading of one blowing up from lightning strike. I mean, looks like a person would want to try to make shit safe, pardon the pun. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Happy National Sneak some Zucchini into your neighbors porch day!

*softly grumbles, shakes fist in air* No zucchini on the stoop, or patio. Oh well we live in apartments. Need a better class of neighbors, say a mile or two away. Then, if I want to go naked with the eastern timber wolves we're hoping to raise helping rescues, I will. If I want go into a shed and make pottery naked, I will. Not that I'm in habit of being nudist. I do though appreciate the capacity to go skyclad when and if I choose. Love feeling the first rain of Spring, the first snow of Winter as I dance outdoors naked. Always nice to welcome those two seasons like that.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
:giggle: Please make some fried zucchini, I’m hungry!

I'd love to. You can curse @The Cromwell though. he didn't bring me any. *chuckles*

I like frying it up with a bit of butter, flour with some herbs & spices. Though recently I've kind of been on this kick of "steam the veggies, steam them all damnit!" My wife had to go get a bamboo triple layer steaming basket, which can set on a pot. It cleans up easily so I've had her steam rice, veggies in it. I once tried steaming some fish and veggies. The fish was "meh" alright, think I didn't use enough thyme, veggies turned out fine. <my over exaggerating sarcasm>But no, I don't ever cook, not me, nope, no way, no how. I'm not keen on running a short order grill, nope definitely not me. I also have no clue how to wok a wok a. *grin*</my over exaggerating sarcasm>

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Although I love fried Zucchini it is too much work to do at home, so I'd rather order it out~! Now BBQ'ed Zucchini is an anytime thing, a little Olive Oil, Garlic Power and Oregano for flavor. Mmmmm

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I'd love to. You can curse @The Cromwell though. he didn't bring me any. *chuckles*

I like frying it up with a bit of butter, flour with some herbs & spices. Though recently I've kind of been on this kick of "steam the veggies, steam them all damnit!" My wife had to go get a bamboo triple layer steaming basket, which can set on a pot. It cleans up easily so I've had her steam rice, veggies in it. I once tried steaming some fish and veggies. The fish was "meh" alright, think I didn't use enough thyme, veggies turned out fine. <my over exaggerating sarcasm>But no, I don't ever cook, not me, nope, no way, no how. I'm not keen on running a short order grill, nope definitely not me. I also have no clue how to wok a wok a. *grin*</my over exaggerating sarcasm>

Steamed veggies are great. Lately I’ve just been frying everything in butter or coconut oil though. I love the way they make Zucchini in Italian restaurants, breaded and fried, with tomato sauce over pasta. I bought some einkorn pasta, so we’ll probably make some gravy (which is NJ Italian for tomato sauce!)

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Although I love fried Zucchini it is too much work to do at home, so I'd rather order it out~! Now BBQ'ed Zucchini is an anytime thing, a little Olive Oil, Garlic Power and Oregano for flavor. Mmmmm

It is a pain to make, but I also love it in a good Italian restaurant. I love Italian food, though. If we ever get out of this apt, I can’t wait to barbecue or just grill. Have a good weekend. It’s starting to thunder and rain here, so you’ll probably get it too.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It is a pain to make, but I also love it in a good Italian restaurant. I love Italian food, though. If we ever get out of this apt, I can’t wait to barbecue or just grill. Have a good weekend. It’s starting to thunder and rain here, so you’ll probably get it too. ️

When I lived in an Apartment I had an Electric BBQ~!

Yes, was outside watering and drinking Iced Green Tea watching the sprinkler and dark clouds were coming from the west. The Forecast says a chance but we will see.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
When I lived in an Apartment I had an Electric BBQ~!

Yes, was outside watering and drinking Iced Green Tea watching the sprinkler and dark clouds were coming from the west. The Forecast says a chance but we will see.

I think my super would be really pissed off if we got anything like that. He’s also on a campaign to stop people smoking in the hallways. No idea what his view is on vaping and I’m not gonna tell him.

It rained and thundered for about 15 minutes here, so it just was passing by, it seems. You prolly will get it for a few too, unless it petered out. There were pretty high winds last night, though. You might’ve gotten a weather alert.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think my super would be really pissed off if we got anything like that.

Smoking in Public Buildings is Prohibited so those people can actually get fined. But the Electric BBQ Grill I had sat on the stove but was just like a Gas Grill except electric. All drippings went into the lower pan and washed like regular cooking utensils like the broiler tray in the Oven.

Something like this..........

11075282_fpx.tif

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Smoking in Public Buildings is Prohibited so those people can actually get fined. But the Electric BBQ Grill I had sat on the stove but was just like a Gas Grill except electric. All drippings went into the lower pan and washed like regular cooking utensils like the broiler tray in the Oven.

Something like this..........

11075282_fpx.tif

That looks pretty good, actually. Thanks!
I’m so glad it’s cooled off a bit. Have a great night!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I bought some einkorn pasta, so we’ll probably make some gravy (which is NJ Italian for tomato sauce!)

I will duck to dodge flying knives but, ... *cough*I thought was the Sicilian way saying it. *cough* :p ;):D

And @SteveS45 , you don't help her by tossing rolling pins. *chuckles*

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OK, now I understand throwing the rolling pins. Could be a shoe or a wooden spoon also~!

True.

I have it worse from my Irish wife though. She'll hurl cast iron skillets, wooden and marble rolling pins, knives, forks. She once even kind of threw herself at me. I had taken her in my arms standing at the foot of our bed. It was a bed that had an oak wood frame, headboard, foot board, legs.

Well, she gave just a little pitch and in pure reflex I turned, twisted, kept her standing but wound up on the floor myself having smashed the f'ing hell out of my left kneecap into the wooden bed leg. It had hit with the force of a collector's Louisville Slugger.

She meantime had collapsed down toward and over me, "Are you okay, are you hurt, do you need help, ... yadda, yadda, yadda, etc."

I of course, being the full on rough hard ass I am, (not to mention fully stupid despite my intellect at times) replied back, "yes, sure just let me stand back up. I'll do it, back up. I'm fine."

So, she backed up, I grabbed the top of the foot board & heaved myself up to standing. I completely ignored the fierce shooting pain in the knee, ignored the look of it which told me it had gotten knocked out. I smiled to her and we went on with our day, I walked and kept walking. So, it's now it's no wonder that the ligaments in the back of my knee fight the front of it, make it do a full circular orbit at times. It kind of eventually set itself just out of kilter. I'm still walkable but sometimes it can better me.

Looking back, probably ought to have stayed down. Probably should have went to hospital, got it put back in proper when it had just happened, not years after. I didn't though so I'll just live with it. I always love the scene in Rambo 4. The Colonel asks Rambo if he wants to get his injuries tended to. Rambo shrugs, "No, we need to fight now. I'll ignore the pain." The Colonel asks how that's worked out for him. "It doesn't, C'mon let's go," Rambo says. That kind of sums me and physical pain up.

I follow my mom's example. She was rushed to hospital with severe chest pain. Thought was possibly heart attack. Found out that it was a combo of bad gas, panic attack. While being rushed to hospital she kept saying, "I don't have time for this shit." My two brothers went up to her in the hospital. I was working and could not get away to go. Besides, not sure I would have been good to have gone.

The man that rode up in the squad with her, e.m.t., told my brothers what she said on the way up. So, they walk into her room to see her. The middle brother just shaking his head, "well mom, I guess we've figured out what goes on your headstone."

The youngest piped up; "yeah, it's going to read 'I don't have time for this shit!'"

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I had an ex throw a kitchen knife at me for a telling her a potato dish she made tasted like old shoes.

That was the moment I learned that honesty is not always a good thing.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I had an ex throw a kitchen knife at me for a telling her a potato dish she made tasted like old shoes.

*chuckling* That'll do it.

My wife hates that I figured out the only neutral and safe answer to the age old question.

The wife or partner will ask; "Do these pants make my ass look too big?"

"If you think they do, dear" I will reply. I figured it better to leave it to the partner to make that call for me. That way I've not said yes and been brutal with a possible truth, nor did I say no and get caught in a possible lie. I left it up to the partner to give me their, (my) opinion. So, then either way I've canceled out the question.

I usually get a "Damn you, you're no help."

To which I chuckle and reply, "You left me there to drown, I chose to swim. You could have swam too and we'd both be fine." This seems to silence any further objection yet somewhat leaves me aware to sleep with eyes open that night. *grin*

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I will duck to dodge flying knives but, ... *cough*I thought was the Sicilian way saying it. *cough* :p ;):D

And @SteveS45 , you don't help her by tossing rolling pins. *chuckles*

It could be Sicilian. The neighborhood my hubby grew up in was a mix of German and Italian. They liked food a lot!

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

I do hope you have more tact with the new wife! :giggle:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It could be Sicilian. The neighborhood my hubby grew up in was a mix of German and Italian. They liked food a lot!

"Oh yeah? ... Well, lemme tell ya, ...!"

Here in WV there was some serious research going on about an article of food. Think it was finally settled. WV is the official birth place of the pepperoni roll.

Take ya some dough right? Roll 'im out to de flat see? Den ya puts a layer of garlic butter wit de butter paint brush.

You needs to use Lowery's seasoning in you garlic butter & ya needs like two to four cloves of garlic all smashed up in say a tub of 16 oz of soft melted butter. Ya use enough Lowery's to make it a dull looking orange. ( and ya better damn well has it dull orange too, ya winds up loosing out on ya flavor if you gits it wrong. No, a Vinny, he a no helps ya by scribbling down how much, he shrug an say "wot it takes") A here, I shows ya ... go to de site links a here, see de colors Pantone 143 to Pantone 144? Dat a be about where ya wanna orange at.

Ya butter she be a liquid like state see, not soft as in creamy block, no more like liquid butter in a tub. Dis be de way o' de butter, sos ya kin paint it on ya dough. No ya need no be Picaso when ya paint butter on dough, just get it all covered up good n fair an ya be allree.

So ya got ya dough painted up, ya move on and toss round the pepperoni in an even circular pattern. Den ya rolls up your dough into a log on itself, chop this log up into four to six inch pieces long wise. Then, you bake or deep fry depending how de spirit o' it moves ya.

To bake ya gits 'em golden brown. I likes 'em just after the doughy stage hot, not crusty. But ya kin bakes 'em up as ya likes 'em. I'd guess ya kin use anywhere from 375F to 400F for about fifteen to twenty minutes baking.

To deep fry, toss ya logs in de basket, fry 'em up til they floats like in de Hudson. They be looking all golden brown an yummy dats a good. :)

Scavare e mangiare! eintauchen und essen! or more commonly, ... greifen und knurren! afferrare e ringhiarev!

(When I cook, no I don't really measure too much. That for me is they joy of cooking. If I got a rough idea where I want to go, I head out and go until I get "there" or at least "in the same zip code". Because life she a be a too short to petty the sweat things.)

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I got pork chops disguised as chicken. Bad part was it wasn't cooked all the way. I threw my plate and the pan of pork in the front yard. First wife. Current wife cooks like Gordon Ramsey

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I got pork chops disguised as chicken. Bad part was it wasn't cooked all the way. I threw my plate and the pan of pork in the front yard. First wife. Current wife cooks like Gordon Ramsey
Lmao always nice when you trade up.

VU Sponsors