Become a Patron!

Scratch! Question!

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can I still use it? Or just tape it up with electrical tape?20150821_224959 [148061].gif

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looks ok to me. How did it happen? Did it occur while you were vaping? Or did you remove it and it scratched?

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you see the small tiny scratch near the top? Was trying to remove the battery with the metal case, and it slid :(
Is it safe to use?

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is the actual battery punctured?

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nope, just the protective plastic

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah you should be ok. Just make sure to look at it every time you switch to charge. Just to make sure no more damage has occurred

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah you should be ok. Just make sure to look at it every time you switch to charge. Just to make sure no more damage has occurred

Well I heard that you shouldn't use the battery if the protective plastic is damaged, I don't want it to short or explode on me lol :p

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well I heard that you shouldn't use the battery if the protective plastic is damaged, I don't want it to short or explode on me lol
Then I guess you answered your own question right? Lol

I'm just saying that the little scratches you have are fine...but if you feel uncomfortable then change that shit :)

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Then I guess you answered your own question right? Lol

I'm just saying that the little scratches you have are fine...but if you feel uncomfortable then change that shit :)

It's just that reading all the stuff on people getting hurt because of a battery discharge or something (I really don't know much about batteries lol) made me paranoid lol. I'm pretty sure you know more than I do so I'll use it lol

Thanks for the help man!

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Like I said just be careful look at it after you switch out :)

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Doesn't look too urgent for now. If it were mine it would get re wrapped though. You can use a piece of tape as a temporary fix. The whole outside of the cell is the negative terminal, so any break in the wrap can be a potential issue.

The springs in the X Cube 2 are annoying. Best way I've found to remove them are to press on the cell near the spring to keep it in place at that end, pull the ribbon up/down as far toward the positive terminal as possible, then pull up. Once the positive end is 2/3rds of the way out you can push it toward the spring and the battery should come out easily.

bennett2winit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's shrink wrap. If you have concerns about it having a scratch you can't see. Wave a heat gun across it a few times. This will open the cut a little so you can see better. Don't get carried away. Lol. Boom!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

bennett2winit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can also buy liquid electrical tape.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Definitely tape over it. It's not a huge deal right there because that's negative terminal under there. But, you want to tape it so the rip doesn't spread. When it's really a big problem is when the shrink wrap gets damaged near the top, then you can very easily touch the negative and positive (there's only a really tiny gap between them covered by shrink wrap/insulator) and cause a fire. Since it's there just tape it, keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't spread and it should be OK.

For anyone else reading this thread, if you get damaged shrink wrap near the top it's absolutely a big deal and be sure to either rewrap it (if you know what you're doing) or toss it (by toss it I mean bring it to a recycling place carefully) and buy a new one if you're not sure.

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Definitely. I can imagine on a damaged one that when you slide the cell into the mod there could be a point where both positive nd negative of the battery touch the battery contact at the same time. Not good.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Definitely. I can imagine on a damaged one that when you slide the cell into the mod there could be a point where both positive nd negative of the battery touch the battery contact at the same time. Not good.

Yep! I remember one time I had unwrapped a VTC4 to check it and then realized I wanted to run just one more test. Figured I'd be super careful with it. Put it into the charger super carefully. Watched it charge like a hawk. Pulled it out of the charger super carefully...whoops! Touched it on the way out. Huge spark, spot welded some scorch marks onto the batteries, burn marks on the charger. Luckily it was a VTC4 so the battery can handle crazy instanteous current and was fine.

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep! I remember one time I had unwrapped a VTC4 to check it and then realized I wanted to run just one more test. Figured I'd be super careful with it. Put it into the charger super carefully. Watched it charge like a hawk. Pulled it out of the charger super carefully...whoops! Touched it on the way out. Huge spark, spot welded some scorch marks onto the batteries, burn marks on the charger. Luckily it was a VTC4 so the battery can handle crazy instanteous current and was fine.
Since you are the go to battery guy. What do you honestly suggest for a good charger? I currently have an efest 2 bay luc. Is that sufficient? @Jon@LiionWholesale

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Since you are the go to battery guy. What do you honestly suggest for a good charger? I currently have an efest 2 bay luc. Is that sufficient? @Jon@LiionWholesale

We use all Efest LUC 4 bays here. It's my favorite mainly because it can safely do the 2A charging which is really useful sometimes. And it's just high quality. Most other brands can't do fast charging like that, including some of the other high quality ones like XTAR. So yep, that one should be good.

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So that new efest Blu charger should be good as well correct?

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Took my LUC V4 apart and was very impressed. It's super clean inside, soldering is flawless. Over all very well thought out with good separation between supply side and output side. Complete mirror opposite of my Trustfire I got rid of. That one looked dangerous in so many ways.

VU Sponsors