Become a Patron!

Screened Coils?

Soupy1957

Member For 1 Year
During my last visit to a local Vape Shop, the fella behind the counter mentioned “screened coils.”

I know nothing about them. Someone please tell me about them.

Thanks

Kitsune

Member For 1 Year
Never heard of screened coils.
Did he maybe mean staged, staggered, stitched, something along those lines?

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Could be he was speaking about mesh coils? They look like screens.

Soupy1957

Member For 1 Year
Yes I suppose he could’ve been referring to mesh coil’s. What can you tell me about them? Are they good, are they bad, are they better, are they worse?

I’m sure to some extent I will get subjective answers.

What makes them different? Why do they exist?

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Yes I suppose he could’ve been referring to mesh coil’s. What can you tell me about them? Are they good, are they bad, are they better, are they worse?

I’m sure to some extent I will get subjective answers.

What makes them different? Why do they exist?

I am by no means a mesh expert. I have a roll of it that has never been touched. Not even sure I own a mesh atomizer anymore.

I have used them and the vape was good when they were used. I don't think it is superior to standard wire by any stretch and your options are somewhat limited to mesh availability.

I will defer to others more experienced with mesh than myself with any wisdom on the matter.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Chiming in with subjective speculation, not used mesh at all. I think, again just opinion, the argument pursued in using mesh is that of surface area making for a better vape. Not sure if it is, isn't. I know that if using clean cotton gauze as wick, the surface area saps up more juice and releases it more evenly. To whit that seems similar to the argument of surface are for me, imho. I kind of do and don't like using the gauze wick. It seems keen to get over stuffed in the coil.

Met someone that uses quartz crystal as wick. He swears by it. Not tried it because it needs to be a specific type of cut and processed crystal (reads costs a good bit) , and I'm not sure it would suit for me. People try all kinds of stuff. I'm finding simple 316SS Clapton coil, single or plain old dumb Kanthal 28awg single does well.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
My Aspire BVC coils all have a Screen on top of the cotton.

I didnt even think about the spit screen on stock coils. Good thinking Steve.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I didnt even think about the spit screen on stock coils. Good thinking Steve.

Not split it is shaped like a washer on top of the cotton and big enough center hole to not touch the coil.

VU Sponsors