Become a Patron!

Second parallel coil this time dual

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Getting a bit better. Still have to tighten it up. This vapes even better than the first one. I'm tasting shit in the juice I hadn't before and the clouds are massive, at least for me. Not like contest massive.

2x 26g kanthal 6 wraps. Comes out to .23 ohms on the 521 tab.

Why did I wait so long to try parallel? Using a drill to straighten the wires and going freehand instead of jig made it more ch easier.

f86eaeeb3dfce3cb22ae4cb09018b4b4.jpg

22ece6772dc66b85b06cb1d4a2ff3229.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not too shabby...have you worked with anything besides Kanthal? The minute I took my first hit off a Nichrome 80 build I knew I could just toss all my Kanthal and never look back. When I first went to tube mechs I fell in love with 2-strand parallel with 24ga Nichrome 80, but also got a kick out of 3-strand parallel with 26ga Nichrome 80 (or SS316L). I was using 2.4mm precision screwdrivers to wrap with and used 8 wraps with the 2-strand coils and 7 wraps with my 3-strand builds...tons of crisp clean flavor (Kanthal just tastes "dirty" to me now) and nice plumes too.
2043661a99d3b58662ddc1db2ab749ea.jpg
2d8417eacc2d3e7cac9024ac03eb557d.png

These were my go-to's for quite a long while...welcome to the world of parallels, but now use that drill as it was intended and start some Clapton action ;)

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not too shabby...have you worked with anything besides Kanthal? The minute I took my first hit off a Nichrome 80 build I knew I could just toss all my Kanthal and never look back. When I first went to tube mechs I fell in love with 2-strand parallel with 24ga Nichrome 80, but also got a kick out of 3-strand parallel with 26ga Nichrome 80 (or SS316L). I was using 2.4mm precision screwdrivers to wrap with and used 8 wraps with the 2-strand coils and 7 wraps with my 3-strand builds...tons of crisp clean flavor (Kanthal just tastes "dirty" to me now) and nice plumes too.
2043661a99d3b58662ddc1db2ab749ea.jpg
2d8417eacc2d3e7cac9024ac03eb557d.png

These were my go-to's for quite a long while...welcome to the world of parallels, but now use that drill as it was intended and start some Clapton action ;)

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Damn those are beautiful. I do have some 24g N80, but I've found kanthal slightly easier to work with. My palate isn't sensitive enough to tell a difference between metals yet. I'm going to keep practicing because wire id cheap.

Claptons are a little further down the road.:)

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The trick to having them look good and uniform is tension. Some people like to turn the screwdriver (or jig) and wrap that way, but I found that pressing the hell out of the wire against the screwdriver and then "folding" the wire over the screwdriver and then placing my screwdriver hand's thumb to keep the tension while I position my free hand to fold the wire under and wrap that way kept constant tension throughout the wrapping process. I also would throw an extra wrap or two into the build and after finishing the wraps, I would take a pair of pliers and pull the strands tight (all wires at the same time using blunt pliers, not needle nose) as I was pulling out the extra wraps to make sure everything was as tight as possible...always came out with coils looking consistently like those above pics.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, and the switch to Kanthal wasn't just for the taste factor. With using mechs, especially single battery tubes, then ramp up time becomes a factor as well. Kanthal is the slowest ramp up time and will give you a cooler vape, whereas the Nichrome 80 is a bit faster, so, you can increase surface area by throwing in a couple extra wraps and have the same ramp up time and temp, but more flavor/cloud production, OR keep the same amount of wraps as the Kanthal for a faster and warmer vape. SS136L is the fastest ramp up time and can give a hot moist vape if that's your preference. That along with using the 2.4mm screwdriver rather than the 3mm is why my coils were ridiculously long but still had instant ramp up times.

zen0fire

Member For 4 Years
Lol I love that sig. My doctor said the same thing and called it ethylglycol. Uhh pg is used in antifreeze..except to make antifreeze safe for animals and children I told him.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol I love that sig. My doctor said the same thing and called it ethylglycol. Uhh pg is used in antifreeze..except to make antifreeze safe for animals and children I told him.

I have an older guy I work with that always says that I'm inhaling ingredients from antifreeze. One day it got annoying and I asked him which ingredient it was and how was it harmful and he just shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know, so, I pointed to his bottle of Dasani and said "You're sitting there guzzling an ingredient of antifreeze, technically, so I don't wanna hear it"...thought it would make a nice sig :)
Of course, you have to consider the source on that, too...this is the same guy that says that lead paint is in no way harmful, it just interferes with the governments ability to see into our houses illegally with x-ray, so, they deemed it harmful to get rid of it.

Last edited:

zen0fire

Member For 4 Years
I have an older guy I work with that always says that I'm inhaling ingredients from antifreeze. One day it got annoying and I asked him which ingredient it was and how was it harmful and he just shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know, so, I pointed to his bottle of Dasani and said "You're sitting there guzzling an ingredient of antifreeze, technically, so I don't wanna hear it"...thought it would make a nice sig :)
Of course, you have to consider the source on that, too...this is the same guy that says that lead paint is in no way harmful, it just interferes with the governments ability to see into our houses illegally with x-ray, so, they deemed it harmful to get rid of it.

Lol. You should bring him a bowl of lead paint flakes. Eat up dude!

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

LOL! I've never heard that one, even from the conspiracy theorists! You gotta give the guy credit - he's very creative. I bet you 20 bucks that if he were to put even 5% of that creativity of his to good use, he wouldn't even need to work if he didn't want to.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors