Become a Patron!

security on the job, coworkers stealing?

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I work in a deli, open boxes everyday all day and have been bringing with me my spyderco knife. last night it was very busy and left it on the sink to dry out. at the end of my shift I forgot it. I went in to work on my day off to look for it, and of course it's nowhere to be found and no one has seen it. hmm so how should I advance this situation? how should I talk to the manager about it and possibly the store supervisor? should I feel safe around these so called friends, who I actually spend more time with than my own family (I work forty hours a week). I'm pretty upset about, my stomach feels like a rock. it's more of sentimental value to me plus the knife is a $200 knife.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I work in a deli, open boxes everyday all day and have been bringing with me my spyderco knife. last night it was very busy and left it on the sink to dry out. at the end of my shift I forgot it. I went in to work on my day off to look for it, and of course it's nowhere to be found and no one has seen it. hmm so how should I advance this situation? how should I talk to the manager about it and possibly the store supervisor? should I feel safe around these so called friends, who I actually spend more time with than my own family (I work forty hours a week). I'm pretty upset about, my stomach feels like a rock. it's more of sentimental value to me plus the knife is a $200 knife.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I would mention it to the manager for sure.

ieatOhms

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Damn dude that sucks! I would just keep a watchful eye on those whom I worked with that day...you never know when it might pop up. Was it the public restroom or an employee restroom? Obviously the latter of the two would eliminate the possibility of it being a random person.

I personally would be calling everyone out and tell them that it’s not cool that any of them could potentially pocket your knife instead of returning it...then again, I’m quite the A-Hole so that might not be good advice. I do however hope you find it or have it returned to you.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn dude that sucks! I would just keep a watchful eye on those whom I worked with that day...you never know when it might pop up. Was it the public restroom or an employee restroom? Obviously the latter of the two would eliminate the possibility of it being a random person.

I personally would be calling everyone out and tell them that it’s not cool that any of them could potentially pocket your knife instead of returning it...then again, I’m quite the A-Hole so that might not be good advice. I do however hope you find it or have it returned to you.
we have a sink in the deli, I had used it that day to open raw chicken bags and other stuff, and had washed it and sanitised it and left it on the sink to dry. I simply forgot I didn't have it at my side. I worked over time, 10hr shift. can't remember everything I was excited to go home last night. today is my Sons second birthday. big 2!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Sadly, it might be an expensive, and irreplaceable lesson, I hate to say. But I'd certainly say something to a higher up, too. It sucks that people do this. I'm always missing things from my work station, that anyone can readily get from a supervisor or the inventory office, if they'd just ask.

I keep a tiny box cutter on a retractable carabiner, with my ID badge.

41IRPAWsajL._SY300_.jpg
s-l225.jpg

TxThumper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
that sucks man. which model was it? I would tell the manager/supervisor

ieatOhms

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
we have a sink in the deli, I had used it that day to open raw chicken bags and other stuff, and had washed it and sanitised it and left it on the sink to dry. I simply forgot I didn't have it at my side. I worked over time, 10hr shift. can't remember everything I was excited to go home last night. today is my Sons second birthday. big 2!

That definitely sucks big time knowing that it is someone you work with. Hopefully if you notify the manager they will offer to review the tapes (if available). Just make sure they know the value, both monetary and sentimental, of the knife. If they don’t satisfy your request you can always move it up the chain of command to the appropriate person that will accommodate you inquiry.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Put a sign up by the sink stating whoever took my knife please put in back on the sink, and no questions will be asked, if not returned I have no choice but to file a police report with having a criminal investigation.

Do outside vendors drivers have access to use that sink, if so one of them may have taken it.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This happened to me with my wedding ring. It wasn't even an expensive one, only worth $30, but it was the one my wife & I picked out on that special day. I told everyone this & told them to just put it back when no one is around & no questions will be asked... I never saw that ring again. Sorry this happened to you, man! People suck!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
haha, came into work this morning and low and behold my knife is on the sink! it's all nasty like someone used it but it's in my hands now. heck yeah!

Great ending to the story. Glad to hear you got it back!

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I'm glad you got your knife back man. Maybe you should consider using a cheapo box cutter while at work from now on. IME if you are gonna get ripped off, it'll be by someone you know. Sad but true.

I had something similar happen at work. Someone went into my shack while I was checking in a semi (down at the bottom of the yard) and cut the strap on my backpack. I too felt that sick feeling. Not because I was particularly upset about the strap being cut, but that someone I worked with felt the need to do it.

I hated that I felt I couldn't trust "my guys" out on the yard. I hated looking at people whom I thought I could trust with scrutiny. I thought I had a good rapport with them.

I'm not employed by the same company as them but we work side by side, day in and day out. Sure I catch mistakes they make but I'm never a dick about it. I'm a realist, shit happens. I don't care what the circumstances were, I just want things to be right before the customers leave my gate. In fact, only one person has ever been written up because of me in the 2 years I've been there. It was because the driver failed to secure his load before leaving the yard even after I, and another driver told him it was not safely secured.

I asked around and let them know I'd be reviewing the camera footage and despite the fact, no one ever took responsibility. The camera doesn't look inside my shack but you can clearly see anyone that would enter it. There was one guy besides myself that entered.

When I confronted him, he still denied it. I wanted to smash him. Guys a freakin weasel. I talked to his manager and basically was told that because we couldn't actually see him do it there was nothing that could be done.

It all came out in the wash though. Management told the guy they wanted to move him inside to work in the back/stock area. He didn't like that idea to much. He quit about 2 weeks after that.

The sad part is, even when you think you can trust people or you get along with them, doesn't mean they won't do something sideways for whatever reason. Human nature sucks sometimes. You gotta watch out for yourself. You are your only defense.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I remember years ago at a particular company we had what I would call a "Well Rounded Thief".

The SOB would steal anything that was not locked up or nailed down.

He got me for a small desk radio the day after I started.

But his specialty was stealing lunches from the company fridge.

Also, make a special note that about 2 or three days max before Thanksgiving, the company would ship in a crate of really nice sized frozen turkeys for all of the employees. Super company to work for by the way.

My first Thanksgiving there, it was announced that the "Gobble Gobble's had arrived and a coworker asked me to give me the key to the trunk of my car so he could grab a turkey for each of us and put one in my trunk and one into his.

IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

As this Gent and myself ( also the only staff members to the locked instrument cabinet and football pool money) were pretty good friends at this point (and still remain friends after more than 30 years) I gave him my keys no questions asked.

In about 15 or 20 minutes he came back, handed me my keys and informed me that my turkey was secure (frozen solid in my trunk) it occurred to me to ask him why this simple task was so urgent.

He got us each a cup of coffee and took us into an office overlooking the parking lot.

Sure enough, "Lunchbox Tom" as we called him, about every 10 to 15 minutes would take another turkey out to the trunk of his car.

Sadly, the company was scared to fire his sorry ass because he was "African American".

But my buddy and I decided to exact our own brand of justice.

We purchased the Grandaddy of all Italian Subs ever made, ground up some Senna Plus (an all natural vegetable laxative and stool softener) and applied a more than generous dose to said sandwich.

And we let key personnel know what was up so a lookout could be formed and we could all enjoy the aftermath.

Sure as cats have kittens, he took the bait. Grabbed the sub and took it out to the alley to cram it down his throat.

Two hours later it "HIt" old Lunchbox Tom.

Those that witnessed the event reported never seeing him move so fast!

And it kept repeating until about an hour or so after his workday was over.

Sadly the next day he was back stealing stuff from the fridge.

But when I remember that day, I still have a big assed smile on my face!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A friends son had a problem with someone stealing lunches out of the fridge so he made special lunches with X-Lax loaded deserts and Ghost pepper loaded sandwiches, aside from the lost days at work the thief was no longer stealing lunches since he wasn't sure what he might find. He couldn't complain someone basically poisoned him since it was labeled with the owners name.

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I friends son had a problem with someone stealing lunches out of the fridge so he made special lunches with X-Lax loaded deserts and Ghost pepper loaded sandwiches, aside from the lost days at work the thief was no longer stealing lunches since he wasn't sure what he might find. He couldn't complain someone basically poisoned him since it was labeled with the owner's name.

Personally, I just don't understand "People (?)" that steal.

What yours is YOURS and what Mine is MINE!

Except for one thing. Pens!

You can have me at a table with a pile of money on it and not have one single issue regarding me walking out with it.

After all, it is YOURS and not MINE.

But if you have a 15 Cent pen laying beside it chances are well beyond good that that cheap assed pen is going to end up in my shirt pocket if given reason to touch it in the first place!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
But if you have a 15 Cent pen laying beside it chances are well beyond good that that cheap assed pen is going to end up in my shirt pocket if given reason to touch it in the first place!

My friends son would coat it in Ghost pepper juice to stop that! LMFAO

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
My friends son would coat it in Ghost pepper juice to stop that! LMFAO

Very nice idea indeed.

Hopefully, folks that I will be swiping cheap pens from in the near of far future will not be reading this!

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Remember this is on the World Wide Web so you never know! LMFAO

Well, I look at it this way, not stealing men's prophylactics.:cry:

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel ya on the pens. I use them and immediately hand them back stating that if I keep it they'll never see it again. Ah well, at least I'm honest about my tendency to steal pens. And Vendor badges. Have 100 million of those too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Personally, I just don't understand "People (?)" that steal.

What yours is YOURS and what Mine is MINE!

Except for one thing. Pens!

You can have me at a table with a pile of money on it and not have one single issue regarding me walking out with it.

After all, it is YOURS and not MINE.

I hate thieves and thievery but...back in the day, I would accidentally end up with cigarette lighters that weren't mine - always and over and over

Times I didn't recall asking someone else for a light, somehow I'd get home and find at least one stray lighter I knew damn good and well did not belong to me

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WAAAAAY back when, I worked at a movie theater & I always brought my lunch. I always labeled my lunch with my name but everyday I would open the fridge to an emptied container that once held my lunch. Finally, my dad suggested that I spike all my lunches with a salsa that I had prefected over the years... AND I REALLY LIKE SPICY FOOD. So, the first day I did it, sure enough the lunch thief took the bait & stole my dirty rice I had brought for lunch. Everyone heard him scream. When we came running he swore that he had been poisoned. I assured him he had not but that we all now knew who to blame if anything ever came up missing again. It was quite gratifying as he actually cried from the spice of the salsa!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I remember years ago at a particular company we had what I would call a "Well Rounded Thief".

The SOB would steal anything that was not locked up or nailed down.

He got me for a small desk radio the day after I started.

But his specialty was stealing lunches from the company fridge.

Also, make a special note that about 2 or three days max before Thanksgiving, the company would ship in a crate of really nice sized frozen turkeys for all of the employees. Super company to work for by the way.

My first Thanksgiving there, it was announced that the "Gobble Gobble's had arrived and a coworker asked me to give me the key to the trunk of my car so he could grab a turkey for each of us and put one in my trunk and one into his.

IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

As this Gent and myself ( also the only staff members to the locked instrument cabinet and football pool money) were pretty good friends at this point (and still remain friends after more than 30 years) I gave him my keys no questions asked.

In about 15 or 20 minutes he came back, handed me my keys and informed me that my turkey was secure (frozen solid in my trunk) it occurred to me to ask him why this simple task was so urgent.

He got us each a cup of coffee and took us into an office overlooking the parking lot.

Sure enough, "Lunchbox Tom" as we called him, about every 10 to 15 minutes would take another turkey out to the trunk of his car.

Sadly, the company was scared to fire his sorry ass because he was "African American".

But my buddy and I decided to exact our own brand of justice.

We purchased the Grandaddy of all Italian Subs ever made, ground up some Senna Plus (an all natural vegetable laxative and stool softener) and applied a more than generous dose to said sandwich.

And we let key personnel know what was up so a lookout could be formed and we could all enjoy the aftermath.

Sure as cats have kittens, he took the bait. Grabbed the sub and took it out to the alley to cram it down his throat.

Two hours later it "HIt" old Lunchbox Tom.

Those that witnessed the event reported never seeing him move so fast!

And it kept repeating until about an hour or so after his workday was over.

Sadly the next day he was back stealing stuff from the fridge.

But when I remember that day, I still have a big assed smile on my face!

You're a nice guy. I would have put cat shit in the sandwich.

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I hate thieves and thievery but...back in the day, I would accidentally end up with cigarette lighters that weren't mine - always and over and over

Times I didn't recall asking someone else for a light, somehow I'd get home and find at least one stray lighter I knew damn good and well did not belong to me

And then you have people like me...

I used to ALWAYS carry an orange bic. I would tell my friends, if you have an orange bic, I'm going to assume it's mine. So they all started carrying any other color of bic except orange. Then for some reason, by the end of the night, no one would have a lighter except for me, my orange bic.

You know how some dressers have that very shallow drawer at the top? Ya that was full with bics of every color except orange :D

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
As far as my own personal pens are concerned, I use fountain pens.

The old fashioned kind that you need to load the ink into from time to time.

Perfectly safe and fine to use when you know what you are doing.

But if you do not know the secrets, well you have just lost a shirt.

Years ago, one of mine went missing for about an hour.

Just looked for the dude with the big blue stain on his shirt pocket.

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
IMG_0578.JPG

Get a large fish.......doesn't matter where.......
from a pet store......ahhhh.....a fish monger.....what have you

Wrap it real nice.......no ribbons, just a bow of string
Recycled newspaper.....be green

Leave it on a work table....SO EVEYONE SEES!!!
with a knife sticking out of it........imagery matters
derp

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if anyone is wondering the knife is a spyderco manix 2. it was about $189 which is expencive for most knives.
s30v steel, I hand sharpen all my knives. my hobbies are, knives, flashlights, vape and firearms.

The sunlight interacts with vapor to create carcinogenic chemicals that turn people into tree-hugging liberals who only drink white wine

VU Sponsors