Become a Patron!

Seeking advice on a clapton coil build.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I just ordered this...
bf8610d67edc8d32fdaba94d2593985e.jpg

And I'm super excited about it.
It'll be my first time using a clapton coil and I'm going to use the single coil deck in the Merlin.

My normal build is a dual coil 22g, 8 wraps, 3mm at exactly 0.2ohms. Running at 75-85 watts depending on atty.

Using the clapton wire I bought, what would u guys recommend in terms of wraps, diameter, and ohms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd do the same wraps if not one or two less. 32g is a huge wrap for clapton so it's going to make the coil massive.
Just wrap it till it's as wide as your normal build.
But don't be discouraged from clapton if you don't like it because fusing 26g with 32g is adding alot of weight to the coil so it'll take gobs of power to make it heat instantly. Clapton is usually done with 36g and preferably smaller so it's much easier to heat plus since it's not as thick you can get more core wire in the same space.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Won't it heat up faster or at least similar being a single coil instead of dual?

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you use the same power maybe.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As a builder though, I'm here to tell you that it'll never be a very efficient coil. A simple 22g or 24g build would do better under the same power.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well that's unfortunate. Especially since I bought 2 of them because I read they're hard to keep in stock.

If it's not any good, maybe I'll run a single parallel coil for instant ramp up

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
My favorite for basic claptons are 26g core with 40 outer. the outer wrap only heats up from the core wires heating, they really do nothing electrically. so bigger is not better.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My favorite for basic claptons are 26g core with 40 outer. the outer wrap only heats up from the core wires heating, they really do nothing electrically. so bigger is not better.
Right. No idea how they sell it but they do.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Right. No idea how they sell it but they do.

Maybe just on impulse buyers like me lol.

I've been planning to make my own claptons for many, many months but never got around to it.

I even got an old drill from a friend with a junk battery. I ended up hard wiring a laptop charger to it to make it run.

VU Sponsors