Become a Patron!

Sen. McConnell to introduce legislation to raise vaping/tobacco age to 21

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WKYT) - Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R - Kentucky, has announced he will introduce legislation to raise the tobacco purchasing age to 21.

“For some time, I’ve been hearing from the parents who are seeing an unprecedented spike in vaping among their teenage children. In addition, we all know people who started smoking at a young age and who struggled to quit as adults. Unfortunately it’s reaching epidemic levels around the country," McConnell said.

The McConnell bill will be introduced in May, and it will also cover vaping devices.

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/S...ion-to-raise-tobacco-age-to-21-508750741.html

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
actually, what they are doing, is turning honest people into criminals, so they can take their money.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We just need to pick a age, whatever it is and say you're an adult at said age. You can serve in the Military, drink, smoke, gamble, vote, etc etc. Let's just pick a age and go. The sort of tiered levels of adulthood we have now are ridiculous.
Exactly, even with the tiers of 'adulthood' they skew it whichever way suits them best. A 14yo commits a heinous crime, they're charged as an adult. A 16yo is in a consentual relationship with an 18yo, the 16yo is 'a child' and automatically turns into statuatory rape. Go figure. I've often said the very same thing so I agree completely, pick an age and stick with it. Time to Mr Miyagi this shit. Either you adult yes or you adult no, no adult maybe sometimes.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
They'll give a 16yo idiot a driver's license but won't let a tax paying 18yo vape.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Few 18 yr olds pay taxes...
Well income taxes anyway.
i did at 18 then again i may have been blind to way not to until it was to late... for the record i came from a low income household with no college fund or anything...

as to my thinking it was already heavy handed to us by Scoot go fuck yourself when he was at the FDA. that they want to see a reduction in teen vaping and they believe increasing the age limit will reduce that... i agree with @Silver79 ... i just wish the government would stop trying to take choice away from Adults regardless of the age they pick thur heavy sin tax...

i also dont agree with some other policies and laws set forth but now is not the time or place to deal with those.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i did at 18 then again i may have been blind to way not to until it was to late... for the record i came from a low income household with no college fund or anything...
Same here.
worked 40 hours or so a week to pay my way thru 2 yrs of tech school which was 30 hours per week, and help support the family. My father died when I was 16, 6 children in family.
Just before I turned 19 I had a full time good job with a phone company due to my hard studies and such.
Had ZERO pull/help in getting the job.

Now a days most 18 yr olds get most all if not more taxes back than they paid in it seems.
Esp if they have mommy and daddy taking care of their child.

Just to note, I do not agree with raising the smoking/vaping age to 21.

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just to note, I do not agree with raising the smoking/vaping age to 21.
Same in my book the way i see it unless they also stop giving drivers license, and change the age to vote, and everything else that makes you legally an adult to the same age i dont see a point.
all it will do is shift who becomes the supplier. Teens will always find a way.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same in my book the way i see it unless they also stop giving drivers license, and change the age to vote, and everything else that makes you legally an adult to the same age i dont see a point.
all it will do is shift who becomes the supplier. Teens will always find a way.

I will have to take care of my Grandson (19) who vapes.
Going to see him this weekend and give him the LUX mod I won.
Nice mod just does not fit my style ;)

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Around here more work full-time than go to college and probably a third of those already have a child to support.

jb58

Member For 4 Years
My opinion is if they're old enough to lay their lives on the line for us or for the government to give them a weapon and tell them to take anothers life then they should have full adult privileges.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My opinion is if they're old enough to lay their lives on the line for us or for the government to give them a weapon and tell them to take anothers life then they should have full adult privileges.

ahh but if they wait till 21 to take them into military service they are not nearly as 'programmable' at that age as they were at 18...

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
most vape 21 laws exempt military members with proper service id

VU Sponsors