Become a Patron!

Serpent Alto

Fragility

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just got one of these and had a few queries. There seems to be a lack of content and people who actually own this tank, which is surprising considering how popular the mini is.

Firstly, I absolutely hate how far apart the posts are. Even with a spaced coil, trying to get it close enough to the posts so it lines up with the juice slots whilst not having it warp in the centre is a nightmare (with micro coils at least). Anyone have any tips?

Another thing I've noticed is that the bottom airflow slots don't line up with the juice channels, so you either have only half the bottom of the coil getting airflow, or wicks that have to snake into the juice slots. I've tended to just position it in line with the juice slots since I guess the '3d' air post was designed to make up for this. The post holes (as well as the 3d airflow) are quite high up, so i'm having a hard time deciding how low to move the coil down in relation to the bottom airflow, in the mini you could get it down to 1mm. Can anyone offer any insight on what's working best for them?

I'm also interested in what kind of simple builds people are using. I've been using my go-to serpent mini builds of 2.5mm 24ga kanthal 6.5 wrap spaced, 7.5 wrap contact, and twisted 26 4.5. I'm having mixed thoughts so far, I originally had my coil moved back directly over the airflow slots (with the wicks slightly bent) and seemed to get better flavour, but that was only after i'd mopped up the leaking that I got, and I feel like it wasn't designed for it to go there. Lastly, every build i've had in this has caused the tank to whistle, is this normal?

F1fanoly

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was hoping to see a thread on this tank. I had high hopes, but I think I'm going to bin this one. I love the original, awesome flavor, easy to build and wick and will take whatever kind of build I want and produce awesome flavor. The 25 is great too, I like the extra capacity, but the flavor isn't quite as intense and the airflow control turns the wrong way for me. I use both those tanks daily. I've tried MANY different builds in the Alto and I just can't seem to get it to produce flavor. I know what I'm doing too, single coil flavor junkie here. Anyone else experiencing this?

Fragility

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was hoping to see a thread on this tank. I had high hopes, but I think I'm going to bin this one. I love the original, awesome flavor, easy to build and wick and will take whatever kind of build I want and produce awesome flavor. The 25 is great too, I like the extra capacity, but the flavor isn't quite as intense and the airflow control turns the wrong way for me. I use both those tanks daily. I've tried MANY different builds in the Alto and I just can't seem to get it to produce flavor. I know what I'm doing too, single coil flavor junkie here. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm tending to agree with you. Unless your going to MTL there seems little point in this tank over the mini. The only plus sides i've found are that when the deck floods it doesn't pool out of the airflow, and the juice channel surrounding the deck is slightly wider which makes wicking a bit more forgiving. Installing a coil

What builds have you tried, and where did you position them in relation to airflow? I don't know why they couldn't make the bottom airflow holes line up with the juice slots, I originally thought my deck had a machining fault.

F1fanoly

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have tried a 3mm .3ohm s.s. alien first expecting amazing things, and it was WAY too much coil heat-wise and little flavor. Next I tried a 2.5mm s.s. small gauge regular Clapton spaced 6 wrap 1 ohm, no flavor. I'll try again today with regular round wire and see what happens, but I'm not expecting a miracle. It is odd the juice channels are offset from the airflow center, not sure why they did that. Wicking seems fine, I normally pancake the rayon and chop the top, with this tank I just pancake it horizontally and chop the front off so the wick angles back toward the channel.

antikryst

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
my alto is arriving in a few hours. how are the stock coils that were included? thinking of trying those out first before putting in some clapton or some tiger wire that i have on hand.

antikryst

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have tried a 3mm .3ohm s.s. alien first expecting amazing things, and it was WAY too much coil heat-wise and little flavor. Next I tried a 2.5mm s.s. small gauge regular Clapton spaced 6 wrap 1 ohm, no flavor. I'll try again today with regular round wire and see what happens, but I'm not expecting a miracle. It is odd the juice channels are offset from the airflow center, not sure why they did that. Wicking seems fine, I normally pancake the rayon and chop the top, with this tank I just pancake it horizontally and chop the front off so the wick angles back toward the channel.
Been playing with mine.. flavor is great for 50 50 juice. But once I put in heavy VG juice flavor is really muted. Couldn't figure out how to wick it for high VG juice. I don't get dry hits but it's just way muted for thick juice.

Tried fused claptons. 2 different types from pre made wire.. muted. Tried SS claptons.. still muted. Couldn't figure out how to wick this for thicker juice really.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, is anyone still here? I use 1.4 ohm coil (28g kanthal) in mine, 60vg/40pg juice, and airflow almost closed, its just a circle, cause I do MTL. But I have a seeping problem, not so much a leaking problem. The bottom of the tank gets "sweaty" and there's some seepage from the airflow control ring too, not the actual airflow hole.. I wick it correctly, I have tried with different amounts and lengths of cotton too. I don't get it. Any ideas? I think maybe the vapor remaining in the chamber gets back to a liquid state after a while and gets out the airflow, but because its not that much it appears as seeping and not leaking. Anyone else have that problem?

VU Sponsors