Become a Patron!

Setup for dementia patient... please review

Looking for opinions.

I'm new to the vape scene, never tried it and don't know anyone with experience. I'm buying this for my father who has dementia and will be moving into a nursing home soon where they don't allow smoking. He has been smoking menthol, 1-2 packs a day for 60+ years. I've tried buying him the gas station e-cigs, but he hated them immediately and said they had no taste. That's when I found this website.

I need a setup that is simple to use. The nurses will not have time to help him, so I want to buy a tank system that is easy to operate – teaching him new things is pretty much impossible. So far, I think this might work

Day to Day Rig:
-Eleaf iStick 20w (battery should last him all day)
-iStick Bending Adapter (to prevent thread damage)
-Aspire Nautilus 5ml (how long would that last for a 2 pack/day smoker? I need to know how many extra tanks I should buy him. I'll switch out the coils for the new bvc type. It's a large tank for such a small mod, but I don't care about looks)

Backup & Juice Testing Rig:
-??? I was thinking of dripping with a 510 atty due to the ease of testing flavors. For the mod, I'd want something variable, maybe a Vamo 5. I don't know, I'm really lost at this point. I want something that is also versatile enough to put a tank on as well. I should stick to variable wattage I guess.

I can visit him every couple of days to refill his tanks and swap out coils when needed. Hopefully, if I leave him with a few full tanks in the nursing home, he'll be able to change them out on his own.

I've tried to learn as much as I can on the forum, but I'm in a rush to put an order in for him and get him away from cigarettes (setting fire to something is becoming a big concern with his smoking, he just doesn't know what he's doing sometimes)

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My two cents.... (and I have a Mom in a nursing home)
1 You can't leave bottled juice there. Some patients have no sense left anymore, and they might drink it. And yes, other patients will wander into other's rooms and take things.
2 You Dad will be a mouth hitter. A tank like a EVOD would work, and they are cheap enough and easy enough to change.
3 I'd just consider 900 Mah (or bigger) eGo type batteries. They are cheap enough you could buy six of them and leave three there, and exchange them out when you visit with the other three you charged at home.
4 a nic level of 18 - 24 MG will likely work best for him.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have to agree with freemind. I wouldn't start him out with anything too expensive or complicated. For the same price you'll be paying for that Nautlilus you can get six evod type tanks. They'll be much smaller but you can fill each one with a different flavor, otherwise he's stuck with a giant rather thin GLASS tank filled with one flavor. You can throw an evod against a wall all day and it probably won't break but drop that Nautilus just once on the floor and the glass is going to shatter. And for anyone who says the Nautilus doesn't flood and leak, bullllllcrap. It does. And once it does it's a big pain to get in there with a q-tip and clean it all out so that it will start working again. Get him used to vaping on some cheap gear and make sure he likes it and can manage it before going with vv devices and expensive tanks.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also if he's looking for a tobacco flavor might I recommend Halo Freedom Juice. I am not fond of tobacco myself but I'm loving this stuff because it actually tastes like a full rich tobacco, not like caramel.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started with the Kanger EVOD 2 kit. It is a good kit that comes with 2 batteries and 2 tanks... however, the capacity is limited and the airflow is probably not going to be sufficient for your dad.

I agree that a simple stick type battery is the best route, but I'd recommend the Kanger EMOW Mega. You will want to get 2 so that he is never left with a dead battery. One can be charging while the other is being used.

The EMOW Mega tanks are 2.8ml versus 1.8 mls and are glass wrapped in steel so they are resistant to drops and jusices that we call "tank busters" that eat away at the plastic tanks and eventually cause them to crack or break.

My wife uses the EMOW tanks and is happy with them. They have an adjustable air flow control and can be opened as wide as most of the single hole rebuildable tanks.

This shop is used by a couple of people here and has the kits on sale right now: http://vapenw.com/kanger-emow-mega-kit

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also, some of the best tobacco flavors I have heard about is the River Bottom Fog Sauce line by @VaporWatch. He sells them on his website at http://vapingwatch.com.

If you give him a call and tell him what your dad likes and his normal smoking style, he will help you pick the best flavor for him to start with. Just be sure to get a dropper for filling the tanks because his bottles are glass and don't come with them.

If you pop over to his stores thread on here at: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/vapingwatch-com-random-giveaway-thread.13618/

There are a lot of people there who can give you advice on his juices.

One thing that sets them apart for tobaccos is that they are "naturally extracted tobacco", meaning that the flavoring is extracted directly from tobacco leaves versus being an artificial concoction.

Byter

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to agree with freemind. I wouldn't start him out with anything too expensive or complicated. For the same price you'll be paying for that Nautlilus you can get six evod type tanks. They'll be much smaller but you can fill each one with a different flavor, otherwise he's stuck with a giant rather thin GLASS tank filled with one flavor. You can throw an evod against a wall all day and it probably won't break but drop that Nautilus just once on the floor and the glass is going to shatter. And for anyone who says the Nautilus doesn't flood and leak, bullllllcrap. It does. And once it does it's a big pain to get in there with a q-tip and clean it all out so that it will start working again. Get him used to vaping on some cheap gear and make sure he likes it and can manage it before going with vv devices and expensive tanks.

I can second this. Aspires do flood occasionally, especially when the coils have a little age. Also, I started with a Viva Nova plastic tank and used a couple of them over a few years with tobacco flavors without cracking. I think plastic will suit your purpose for tobacco and menthol. And they are cheap to replace if you do notice cracking in a couple of years.

But I don't recommend viva nova. Those heads need frequent attention. I was a pack and a half to two packs smoker and could use up a head in 4 days. Cleaning bought me another 2-3 days. And about one out of ten new ones came as a dead head.

VU Sponsors