Become a Patron!

Should I build my own coils or buy prebuilt?

NickDalton

Member For 4 Years
I'm currently vaping at 110 watts with the factory coils from the Smok rba on the TFV8 according to the ohms calculator I looked at I can go to 130. I would like to go as high as 200 if it's possible with this rba. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't think you can go that high with a tank system without it being overly hot, I could be wrong. I find more complex wires give off a lot of heat in those systems though.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

NickDalton

Member For 4 Years
I don't think you can go that high with a tank system without it being overly hot, I could be wrong. I find more complex wires give off a lot of heat in those systems though.

So your suggestion would be to grab an rda correct? My only problem with rdas is the fact that you have to drip. I can't stand it. That's why I started using my rba coil.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you don't like dripping but want to use more power try out an RDTA. Works just like an rda but juice constantly feeds to the coils. I've never had a dry hit off one, hopefully never will

NickDalton

Member For 4 Years
If you don't like dripping but want to use more power try out an RDTA. Works just like an rda but juice constantly feeds to the coils. I've never had a dry hit off one, hopefully never will

What's the difference between the rba coil in the TFV8 and an rdta?

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The RBA deck will sit with juice surrounding it like any other tank system, they can have problems with leaking due to the pressurised system. An RDTA on the other hand has the juice sitting below the deck so as you tilt to vape, juice will feed to the cotton of the coils. Set up properly they can give immense flavour and plumes of vapour. Also the build deck on rda is bigger than that of a tank system do can accommodate bigger and better builds.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

An RDTA is basically an RDA with a tank on the bottom instead of just a juice well. This allows you to have the buildable deck of an RDA without having to constantly drip. You can also drip if you want to. Also, you can visually inspect your coils at any time by just removing the top cap, just like an RDA.

XX_Fallen_XX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would deff not go that high with a RBA. Best bet is a RDA or RDTA and even then 200 watts is a little much. There are 2 kinds of RDTA's. Genesis style (Limitless/Avocado) have the juice at the bottom and the other is where the juice is at the top like a normal tank (Aromamizer/Griffin). The genesis style tanks are nice because you can take the top off and drip it but still have the option of storing several ml's of liquid at the bottom. Either way your coils and cotton will constantly be soaked because of the way both tanks feed the juice.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As to whether or not to build, that's more of a personal choice. There's a learning curve and everyone's different. Some find it relaxing, others think it's a pain in the ass. It's cheaper to build your own but a little more work. Buying premade is easier but more expensive and usually not the same level of quality.

Or there's a third option, to go with an rda/rdta and instead of building the coils you can purchase premade coils that someone has wrapped. That way you get the quality of handmade coils without the pain of making them yourself and you can choose from all sorts of complex coils, aliens, fused claptons, tiger coils etc. More expensive than those sold in mass quantities from manufacturers but better quality and the coil(s) itself will last months if you take care of it and clean it. Then it's really no more expensive than factory coil heads or possibly even cheaper.

Not sure who all sells coils here, several awesome builders. @b_d_builders sells coils and is a member here, not sure about @whiteowl84 , @raymo2u or @CrazyChef v2.0 . There are probably others I'm unaware of, wasn't trying to disclude anyone.

As others said I would think 200w a bit much for a tank. That's a lot of heat inside of a smaller chamber surrounded and insulated by juice. When an rda gets hot the top cap can help get rid of the heat and cooler ambient air hits it. Air can't get to the walls of the chimney or chamber in an rta. Not sure about rdta's if they can handle that sort of power. The base tends to get hot and so does the glass as the long 510 pin running from the bottom up through the lower tank to the deck on top heats up significantly with a lot of power. My avocado 24 ba gets pretty damn hot even at 75-85w with dual coils, hot enough I don't want to touch the glass or cap after 2, 3, 4 consecutive hits and the top of my mod starts heating up around the 510.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What coils are you building or wanting?
Can you build?
Tbh if I were you I wouldn't invest any money on coils for that particular atty. I've never used one but I keep hearing that it's horrible to build and wick. Since it's a drop in coil atty I'm inclined to believe them.
I'd invest in an purpose made RTA or RDTA.
In the mean time I'd strongly encourage you to try to build on it yourself.
If you'd like to start building I'd be more than happy to list all the specific things you'll need and where to get good wire that's very affordable. I'd also gladly teach you how to start building.

If you decide to buy coils for this atty or another I'd be glad to do it.
Raymo and I have great prices, especially if you buy more than one set.
It costs $3 to ship one pair of coils or 20 pairs so we have to consider that into the final price.

@Synphul
Firstly thanks for the mention. Secondly crazy chef was banned.
Thirdly you can definitely run 200w on an RTA. I'm running 0.07 staggs in my Reload RTA.
That's 250w in a tiny flavor atty and it doesn't get hot at all.
The key to all this is ramp up.
If you're putting 80w into an atty and waiting for the coils to heat up the atty will get hotter and your batteries will die faster than if you put 120w into the same build and it ramped up instantly.
Usually it takes about one second from the time I've hit the button to the time I'm taking my mouth off the atty.
If your attys get hot or your batteries are dying too fast try to up the power by 50% or so then see what happens.

Any time there's any noticeable ramp up you're either under powered or the build just has too much mass for that atty/mod.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

RBA stands for Rebuildable Atomizer so... a RDTA is an RBA. RDAs RDTAs and RTAs are all RBAs. Difference being how the juice is applied or. Where the coil is located or wicking is routed.

All RDTAs are RTAs but not all RTAs are RDTAs. ALL ATOMIZER WITH A USER BUIDABLE COIL ARE RBAs.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

gashadokuro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I used to use premades all the time simply because of how easy it was to change them out. But after getting my first rebuildable, that changed. I bought a big bag of organic cotton quite some time ago along with a spool of nichrome ($10) and still have most of it. I barely used any before a friend of mine gave me his cotton (quit smoking and vaping) which was two packs of cotton bacon, plus the small cotton bacon pack that came with one of my juices. My builds were crap at first, but have gotten better, at least the dual coil basic builds. I just wrapped a couple recently, 10 wraps each, came out to .49 which is the closest i've been.

Making coils more or less turned vaping into a hobby for me and pushed me even further away from cigarettes to the point where i don't notice them visually anymore, but can smell them better.

VU Sponsors