Become a Patron!

Should I stop vaping when my mod gets hot.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
It's an internal battery though.
I'll just turn it off I guess.
Good. I wouldn't stop there. If you can't take the battery out, I'd get that whole thing out of my house before I'd feel ok about it.

Sorry, just better to be safe.

Why I kept vaping is because I thought, well, maybe it needs to output more power for the RDA, so more electrons are moving and therefore, temperature rises.
I don't think it would explode because that only happens when it's shorted. But I I'm not going to take chances.
What's a squonk mod you guys recommend that works well with Drop RDA?
Would prefer long battery life even when chain vaping (all day possibly)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
It's an internal battery though.
I'll just turn it off I guess.
Good thinkin

While it's 5000Mah and 80W, if the battery doesn't have enough amps for the build it's dangerous. It overtaxes and heats the battery causing it to fail. there doesn't have to be a short. I suspect that's what it is since I couldn't find and amp rating. And batteries degrade with age and use, not to mention that .11Ω is about the absolute max the spec sheet says it can do, but that's with a healthy battery.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Are you starting from scratch? Batteries and everything?
Can you order it online? or your local shop again?
How much do you want to spend?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Why I kept vaping is because I thought, well, maybe it needs to output more power for the RDA, so more electrons are moving and therefore, temperature rises.
I don't think it would explode because that only happens when it's shorted. But I I'm not going to take chances.

Long battery life? First thing, check into building for 30-40W instead of 60. Dual batt mod or 2x700. Regulated. My two cents only.

You can check your manual for low voltage cut off too. Tells at what voltage the mod won't fire at to protect the battery. You can run it below 50%.

Well, like me , I have 1 built in battery mod [4400Mah] because the resistance I use on it [.28 -.33]. I get good vape time between charges on it.
Everything else is external battery, which is what most use for lower resistance since it requires more wattage - which requires more battery.
Higher ohms= less battery, because basically it's bigger wire [or more wire mass]and requires less battery to "push" power through it. It's more receptive.
Less ohms = more battery because it takes more power to push wattage through a small wire[less mass]. This resistance is higher, which means the Ω will be a lower number.
So the lower the ohms, the more resistance, and therefore, more battery needed?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Long battery life? First thing, check into building for 30-40W instead of 60. Dual batt mod or 2x700. Regulated. My two cents only.
I agree with that too.

Need to learn ohm's law. Even if using a regulated mod, you want to apply those rules so you know your vaping within the battey(s) limit(s).
It's about using a coil that draws power withing the safe limits of a given battery.
Battery choice is important too. There are a lot of inferior brands and misrepresentation on the labels.

Are you starting from scratch? Batteries and everything?
Can you order it online? or your local shop again?
How much do you want to spend?
I'll order online, cause this shop seems to have some old stuff.
Yeah I'll start from scratch.
I can spend up to $150, maybe more if it's necessary.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
So the lower the ohms, the more resistance, and therefore, more battery needed?
More battery as in amps/volts to push, those electrons you call them:), through.

I agree with that too.

Need to learn ohm's law. Even if using a regulated mod, you want to apply those rules so you know your vaping within the battey(s) limit(s).
It's about using a coil that draws power withing the safe limits of a given battery.
Battery choice is important too. There are a lot of inferior brands and misrepresentation on the labels.
I remember from physics class that V = I * R where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.
V comes from the battery, R comes from coil right? but what about I?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Ok dual battery definitely, since more battery = more time.
Why for 30-40 watts though?
What's 2x700?
30-40 watts so you can get through the day on 2 batteries.
2x700 is a battery size reference meaning 20700 or 21700 (vs 18650).

Edit: I didn't take physics

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Ok dual battery definitely, since more battery = more time.
Why for 30-40 watts though?
What's 2x700?

2x700 is 20700 or 21700 batteries. Lots of squonkers use them, and the battery life is considerably longer than a single 18650.

30 to 40 watts because you will use less battery and less juice but can still get an awesome vape if you know how to build for quick ramp up times and moderate power.

Ok maybe my mod is getting really hot because Drop RDA shouldn't be used with Eleaf iStick Power.
I need to vape rn, so would it be ok to just use the tank?
It does get warm with tank, but not hot like with Drop RDA

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
This is NOT normal! You should immediately remove the batteries from that mod and stop using both the batteries and the mod.
Agreed. Something is wrong. Find the issue. Don't just wrap it in a towel. To hot to handle isn't a good sign.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Ok maybe my mod is getting really hot because Drop RDA shouldn't be used with Eleaf iStick Power.
I need to vape rn, so would it be ok to just use the tank?
It does get warm with tank, but not hot like with Drop RDA
Is the bat hot or is it just radiating from the rda?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I just read back through this thread. The problem is that the OP is pushing his mod too hard.

Chain vaping, 60 watts, on an older technology 80 watt max mod? That's just too much for an I stick. You've gotta back off.

If you want to use that mod put two 1 ohm nichrome coils in that Drop and run them at 35 watts. Otherwise spend some money on a mod that can hold up to the way you want to vape.

Agreed. Something is wrong. Find the issue. Don't just wrap it in a towel. To hot to handle isn't a good sign.
Two possible cases: I'm "overworking" it outside of battery's normal "work load", or battery is old and faulty.
Hopefully it's first case so I can keep vaping on this mod with tank.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I don't get it... if you've got the $150 bucks to drop on a new setup... you could get 2 or 3 full set ups for that price. Why take the chance on a lithium battery that's getting too hot?? :headbang:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
What about 60-80 watts. I guess that'd cut the usage time by half.
But you can try a coil build that vapes well at 30-40w and see how you like it. (with a new mod that is)
Mooch it THE vaping battery expert. You can probably start at post #11
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/moochs-video-library-and-battery-table-links.384867/

A lot of people like the Topside Dual.
Rage Dual
An option might be a smaller single battery and just keep a charged battery or 2 on hand.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I just told him how to build the Drop so it won't blow that I stick up.

I just read back through this thread. The problem is that the OP is pushing his mod too hard.

Chain vaping, 60 watts, on an older technology 80 watt max mod? That's just too much for an I stick. You've gotta back off.

If you want to use that mod put two 1 ohm nichrome coils in that Drop and run them at 35 watts. Otherwise spend some money on a mod that can hold up to the way you want to vape.
Problem with 30 watts is there's barely any vapor and I have to inhale hard, even with airflow being set for easier draws.
60 watts is perfect for me, more vapor, and vapor comes out a little hot.
I'm willing to go as low as 50watts though.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Problem with 30 watts is there's barely any vapor and I have to inhale hard, even with airflow being set for easier draws.

That is absolutely not true.

But if 60 watts is where you are happy, you have the wrong mod.

That is absolutely not true.

But if 60 watts is where you are happy, you have the wrong mod.
This is my first mod, so maybe I don't have enough experience, and I did hear that watts by itself isn't a very helpful number, it's rather a bunch of things combined.

Although to be fair, I like 60 watts even with standard setup (aka using hellbeast tank not rda).

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I'm willing to go as low as 50watts though.
But your talking about 30w on your .11 build has hardly any vapor. True. But when you use .3-.4Ω, that vapor production increases at that same 30w

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
This is my first mod, so maybe I don't have enough experience, and I did hear that watts by itself isn't a very helpful number, it's rather a bunch of things combined.

Yes, it is a bunch of things combined. Main one right this moment being, the mod itself has told you that what you have been doing is not safe.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
But your talking about 30w on your .11 build has hardly any vapor. True. But when you use .3-.4Ω, that vapor production increases at that same 30w

And when you use nichrome or stainless steel in the right gauge, you get a lot better, more responsive vape at 35 watts.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Auto correct is making me nuts tonight.

Yes, it is a bunch of things combined. Main one right this moment being, the mod itself has told you that what you have been doing is not safe.
So would you also say it isn't safe to vape at 60 watts with tank?
Because I'm vaping right now at 60 watts it's so good I seriously can't even do 50.
(again, this is with standard setup)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
And when you use nichrome or stainless steel in the right gauge, you get a lot better, more responsive vape at 35 watts.
Yep. SS is about all I use.

Ok I definitely wont vape with RDA on this mod.
So I must acquire a mod that is suitable for the RDA.
Squonk mod, 2 batteries @ 2x700, any recommendations?

Does squonk work with non rda atomizers?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I'll order online, cause this shop seems to have some old stuff.
Yeah I'll start from scratch.
I can spend up to $150, maybe more if it's necessary.
You might want to just go with a mod/batteries/charger for the HellBeast right now, while you learn some things about rebuildables.
Depending on the mod, you might be able to squeeze a decent squonker in there without going a lot over $150

You might want to just go with a mod/batteries/charger for the HellBeast right now, while you learn some things about rebuildables.
Depending on the mod, you might be able to squeeze a decent squonker in there without going a lot over $150
Wait, so a mod for hellbeast or for rda?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Agree with this.

I don't know of 2 x 2x700 squonkers but there may be some. What I'd recommended was either 2 x 18650 or single 2x700, probably wasn't clear.

Hang out in the New Builders section here on the forum, you can learn a lot and get a lot of help.

I think a pretty safe recommendation for a mod to go with your Hellbeast is a Geekvape Aegis Legend. 2 x 18650, durable, temp control that actually works, a workhorse. You'll want to upgrade at some point, but that's a 200W mod that could probably keep up with the way you vape, provided you buy really good quality batteries to go in it.

Don't charge the batteries in the mod. Get a 4-bay smart charger that won't overcharge your batteries. Get one that accepts the 2x700 size in addition to 18650 and 26650 sizes.

You can use that Drop on a non-squonking mod, just put the regular 510 pin in it. Get a squonker after you know how to build.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
But I wouldn't wanna waste the RDA I just bought.
I think I'll go for a squonk mod.
Keep in mind the dual battery squonkers aren't very portable due to their size. I'd go for a 2x18650 for the tank and dripping, and a single battery mod for squonking. And I'd rather have a small squonker and carry a spare battery that carry around something the size of a triple battery mod. But that's me and maybe not you.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
That Dotmod Squonk looks good
only 1 battery though
so it'd last half a day of constant use?
1 battery up to size 21700, for which there are 30amp 4000+mah batteries> Molicel P42A...So you could use a coil build that would be safe in the 30amp range.

Agree with this.

I don't know of 2 x 2x700 squonkers but there may be some. What I'd recommended was either 2 x 18650 or single 2x700, probably wasn't clear.

Hang out in the New Builders section here on the forum, you can learn a lot and get a lot of help.

I think a pretty safe recommendation for a mod to go with your Hellbeast is a Geekvape Aegis Legend. 2 x 18650, durable, temp control that actually works, a workhorse. You'll want to upgrade at some point, but that's a 200W mod that could probably keep up with the way you vape, provided you buy really good quality batteries to go in it.

Don't charge the batteries in the mod. Get a 4-bay smart charger that won't overcharge your batteries. Get one that accepts the 2x700 size in addition to 18650 and 26650 sizes.

You can use that Drop on a non-squonking mod, just put the regular 510 pin in it. Get a squonker after you know how to build.
Ok, I'll take you advice then.
But does the RDA work well with the aegis legend?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
It's your money, obviously you can spend it however you want, but I think we're trying to tell ya that you are moving too fast!

You're trying to learn to vape, learn to build, and now learn to squonk all at the same time? Not to say that's never been done, but damn son, there's so much you don't know.

Folks here will help you do whatever, as long as you're willing to be safe and prudent, but just consider that the whole experience might go better for you if you slow down a little.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yes, the RDA will work fine with the Legend. You'll just use it as a dripper for a while instead of using it as a squonking atty.

Oh, and no, most non-RDA atties do not work with squonkers. There are a few that do, but they'd be mostly RDTAs that come with a squonk pin.

Yes, the RDA will work fine with the Legend. You'll just use it as a dripper for a while instead of using it as a squonking atty.

Oh, and no, most non-RDA atties do not work with squonkers. There are a few that do, but they'd be mostly RDTAs that come with a squonk pin.
Ok I'm looking at the Aegis Legend. So, it allows for more wattage and only costs 60 dollars, what's the catch?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Ok I'm looking at the Aegis Legend. So, it allows for more wattage and only costs 60 dollars, what's the catch?

I don't know that there is one. I have a Legend right here that my son gave me, cost about that, it's a hoss. Why do you think there's a catch?

Keep in mind you have to spend another 50 or so on good batteries and an external charger.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
If you're used to buying at vape shops, that's probably most of the difference. They overcharge.

VU Sponsors