Become a Patron!

Should I stop vaping when my mod gets hot.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm assuming you have bought this before.
Does the build feel cheap or something?

No, the build is exactly the opposite of cheap. It's sturdy. What it isn't is "slick." Not GQ, if you get me.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Historically I have bought mostly Samsung 25R batteries with a few Sony VTC6s. For you, I'd recommend Sony VTC5As or Samsung's new model which I cannot remember the number of right now, will have to look. (I vape mostly at lower wattages than you.)

My charger is a 2-bay Nightcore Intellicharger. I have a ton of mods sitting around here, though, so I don't wait for batteries. If you have just a couple of mods, you'll want extra batteries so you don't have to wait. You'll need to be able to charge at least 2, but probably 4 at a time, at some point in the very near future.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Explain.
Do you mean it isn't flashy?

Well sort of. I mean it isn't tailored and dressy and really expensive looking. It's a mod that most anyone could carry, unless it's a guy in a thousand-dollar suit who's all about image. He'd want something more sleek, like a Lost Vape Paranormal or some custom-made thing that I don't even know about. A $900 Vicious Ant custom stabwood thingy.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The new Samsung battery is the 20S. It's a 30A, 2000 mAh 18650 battery.

Well sort of. I mean it isn't tailored and dressy and really expensive looking. It's a mod that most anyone could carry, unless it's a guy in a thousand-dollar suit who's all about image. He'd want something more sleek, like a Lost Vape Paranormal or some custom-made thing that I don't even know about. A $900 Vicious Ant custom stabwood thingy.
I'm fine as long as it doesn't look cheap or feel cheap. (plastic lol)
Thanks your help man. Hopefully no problems with Aegis.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yes, I hope not. Keep us posted, I'll be interested to know how it goes. Hope you'll stick around and learn some good building tricks - it can be a lot of fun.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Those 60ml bottles you pay $25 - $30 for? They cost about $4 or less to mix at home.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There was no way to make this any easier
What about a redneck with nice taste? :giggle:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Those 60ml bottles you pay $25 - $30 for? They cost about $4 or less to mix at home.

1 10 ml bottle of TFA Peppermint flavoring --- $4.25
1 L of 18 mg nic per ml Max VG (Unflavored) Juice ---- $40.00
--------- == $44.25

10 ml bottle batch size ----- 100 bottles --- $44.25 / 100 == $00.4425 or less per each 10 ml bottle I would hazard to say I might have $0.40 in a bottle. If I did that up as 60 ml, 6 x $0.40 == $ 2.40 per 60 ml bottle a 120 ml bottle would be $ 4.80 and a 240 ml $ 9.60.

Cheaper mixing for yourself? Damn right. And it could be even cheaper depending on comparative shopping, sales, so on. Also in fairness that's only using one flavoring, other folks might add more which then adds to cost but yes $4 or less to mix yourself a 60 ml sounds right.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To the original OP:

Looks like you made a nice choice for the mod. You can use it with the tank while you lean more about RDAs and building safe for them. Watch a shit ton of youtube videos about your specific mod and RDA. Watch a shit load of videos and ask every question you can think of here on VU. You've already been given some good advice. There are parts of VU for every discipline of vaping.

Vaping is a journey and for most of us a long (and sometimes expensive) journey before we find our vaping nirvana. I know I've found my personal vaping heaven 3 or 4 times and then I see something else that intrigues me and I start the journey all anew. There's thousands of active members here on VU and I'll bet none of us vape the exact same way. There's way too many variables. While vaping is under attack by governments it is also growing rapidly and this growth provides endless products for every style of vaping.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
To the original OP:

Looks like you made a nice choice for the mod. You can use it with the tank while you lean more about RDAs and building safe for them. Watch a shit ton of youtube videos about your specific mod and RDA. Watch a shit load of videos and ask every question you can think of here on VU. You've already been given some good advice. There are parts of VU for every discipline of vaping.

Vaping is a journey and for most of us a long (and sometimes expensive) journey before we find our vaping nirvana. I know I've found my personal vaping heaven 3 or 4 times and then I see something else that intrigues me and I start the journey all anew. There's thousands of active members here on VU and I'll bet none of us vape the exact same way. There's way too many variables. While vaping is under attack by governments it is also growing rapidly and this growth provides endless products for every style of vaping.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Well said!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I know I've found my personal vaping heaven 3 or 4 times and then I see something else that intrigues me and I start the journey all anew.

Never helps when a buddy comes along and says, "look over here at this new shiny AND it's on sale!" That often becomes a slightly psychotic moment. Resistance is often futile in such moments and we cave, go buy new gear. Can say though, having been vaping about 3 to 4 years now, I've spent only about 1 10th of what I would have smoking, rubbing snuff, chewing tobacco. I've had a few stumbles where I bum a cigarette. I might smoke three drags and give it back to the smoker, just don't want tobacco any more save to have a small taste. It actually gives me bad sinus headaches afterwards, making me sick. 35 + years of tobacco, I was hard core "will never quit". Well, I've traded it for vaping. Think I have my vaping satori kit too. :) *awaiting some sale of some new shiny everyone goes gaga over*

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Never helps when a buddy comes along and says, "look over here at this new shiny AND it's on sale!" That often becomes a slightly psychotic moment. Resistance is often futile in such moments and we cave, go buy new gear. Can say though, having been vaping about 3 to 4 years now, I've spent only about 1 10th of what I would have smoking, rubbing snuff, chewing tobacco. I've had a few stumbles where I bum a cigarette. I might smoke three drags and give it back to the smoker, just don't want tobacco any more save to have a small taste. It actually gives me bad sinus headaches afterwards, making me sick. 35 + years of tobacco, I was hard core "will never quit". Well, I've traded it for vaping. Think I have my vaping satori kit too. :) *awaiting some sale of some new shiny everyone goes gaga over*

And then we go to the Shinyitus thread.

So I see people telling me to learn to build safe for RDAs.
Does that basically mean to put in the coils right (with right amount of resistance that battery can handle)?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does that basically mean to put in the coils right (with right amount of resistance that battery can handle)?
Yes. Research to find out what your battery can handle then build your coil to that. Well under the recommended "by Mooch" amp rating. Google your battery and type mooch after and it should take you his ratings and testing for that battery. Build under the amp limit for your battery

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Basically that’s what it is, but there’s nothing basic about getting there.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/the-official-steam-engine-thread.389510/

http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.html

Moochs Video Library and Battery Table Links

Here's the updated battery recommendations by Mooch for REGULATED mods
Manuf = and Est = is the battery’s amps at full charge tested, not the amps the wrap on the battery says.

By using the calculator, you can see why your iStick was getting hot.
With the .16 coil head at your 55W it needs 18.54 amps.
With your .11 build @60w it wants even more, over 23 amps.
That built in battery isn’t going to have that many amps and is why @ .16 it got warm and .11 got hot.
This is also why, like MrMeowgi said to build lower than the amp limit that Mooch sets for a battery.

Because as soon as we vape, the amps go down and we not within Ohm’s Law anymore. So build to lower amps than fully charged, to have a safety margin.

While this has a more profound effect with a mech mod, you now see why it’s also important when using regulated. Don’t rely on a regulated mod’s safety features.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And then we go to the Shinyitus thread.

Or you can do what I do. Muhaha! "Go experiment!"

Today I made two strands of Clapton & each was 28 awg wrapped with 30 awg NiChrome 80. *ahem* Then, I put these two strands together wrapped again with 30 awg NiC 80. It looks kind of funky. Will get round to trying it out later if I can get a decent test on, I'd like no more than oh say about .70 ohms. I'm definitely not going below .30 ohms on a single coil for both.

Might be it winds up being too much mass, or maybe it'll be better than Wonder Bread(tm). Never can tell. Eventually, I'll blow my face off I'm sure. I'll be sure to sue the FDA too. They ought to have banned cigarettes outright to start with, because I'd not be vaping if I never knew a cigarette. I could have avoided blowing my face off had I not got addicted and dependent on nicotine. Cigarettes did that.

Truth of the matter though, no I won't sue anyone because it'll serve me right being dangerous with something like that. If I get a good meter read on a built coil with that wire I made up, I'll use it. Otherwise it goes to the bin/trash. Sure, I might be nuttier than squirrel dung but I'm not a dummy, crash testing or otherwise. Although they still need bullet proof vest testers. ;) :)

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Or you can do what I do. Muhaha! "Go experiment!"

Today I made two strands of Clapton & each was 28 awg wrapped with 30 awg NiChrome 80. *ahem* Then, I put these two strands together wrapped again with 30 awg NiC 80. It looks kind of funky. Will get round to trying it out later if I can get a decent test on, I'd like no more than oh say about .70 ohms. I definitely not going below .30 ohms on a single coil for both. Might be it winds up being too much mass, or maybe it'll be better than Wonder Bread(tm). Never can tell. Eventually, I'll blow my face off I'm sure. I'll be sure to sue the FDA too. They ought to have banned cigarettes outright to start with, because I'd not be vaping if I never knew a cigarette. I could have avoided blowing my face off had I not got addicted and dependent on nicotine. Cigarettes did that.

That is far too logical. It will never fly with the government. But then, you knew that.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That is far too logical. It will never fly with the government. But then, you knew that.

Well, I now I know that I can vape at .20 ohms effectively now as well. Do not feel it is dangerous in an extreme way. Yes, I know danger & dragons this path still lurk. I will be vigilant in using care. Beyond that I could step out our door, get eaten alive by a flying spaghetti monster. How can such a risk be calculated, logically or otherwise, government or anarchy?

Yes, I seem to be about eight steps ahead of them, ops, maybe six now. Think I figured out my discharge coding too. I was "improperly educated". Yes, I went into the Navy when I had been born and bred Army infantry special division/s and operations group/s. The recruiters and M.E.P.S ought to have diverted me into the Army despite my protest to go Navy. In truth me even being born proved the Navy can be wrong. It was Navy docs that told mom she would never bear children. I was the first of three such non-existing children.

Yes, I got a coil on that is 0.20 ohms. Know I swore to 0.30 or above. Been looking for a cool in temp coil to do 0.20. It'll probably drain my battery real quick. I probably will go back to using 0.30 and above, for now though this seems nice. It isn't getting too hot to vape, might enjoy it a little.

Logic never works in religion and politics/governing. This is why I drug those who come to me to find my invisible purple unicorn. Thorazine is quite helpful to suspend disbelief long enough they too see invisible unicorns. Of course, it is supposed to be for my psychotic condition but I'm not too concerned over that, I've not murdered an axe for almost a year now. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My mod gets hot after about 30 minutes of frequent use, (not really hot just warm) and I'm wondering if that means I should stop using it.
It's a regulated mod btw.

When your MOD gets too Hot to hold it is time to give it a rest~! :vino:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
867-5309 - Jenny ;)

tenor.gif

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That made my day. :)

Needed to see E.R. yesterday. Silly me figured a pocket knife could work the same as scissors. Well, I caught an artery but not the femoral on my inner left thigh. The nurse said I had a pocket knife as sharp as their scalpels. I said that was good. She mixed up some super glue type epoxy that's been in use for military a while, liquid skin I think is what it is civilian wise, then sewed three stitches to let the flesh come together.

Wife took me over and said that she ought to have had me use the super glue in the "junk" drawer. We both started quoting the scene from Dog Soldiers, where Sarge gets his guts super glued and stitched back in. Then, we both felt sad & frustrated they never made the Dog Soldiers sequel Fresh Meat. We both agreed American SF would've not lasted even a quarter as long as Sarge's basic Squadies. Which is sad, we got commandos that can't deal with werewolves. *smh*

A shame Spoonie got eight-ed. He'd be one to teach ya how to deal.

Well, reckon I be ...

Last edited:
Basically that’s what it is, but there’s nothing basic about getting there.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/the-official-steam-engine-thread.389510/

http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.html

Moochs Video Library and Battery Table Links

Here's the updated battery recommendations by Mooch for REGULATED mods
Manuf = and Est = is the battery’s amps at full charge tested, not the amps the wrap on the battery says.

By using the calculator, you can see why your iStick was getting hot.
With the .16 coil head at your 55W it needs 18.54 amps.
With your .11 build @60w it wants even more, over 23 amps.
That built in battery isn’t going to have that many amps and is why @ .16 it got warm and .11 got hot.
This is also why, like MrMeowgi said to build lower than the amp limit that Mooch sets for a battery.

Because as soon as we vape, the amps go down and we not within Ohm’s Law anymore. So build to lower amps than fully charged, to have a safety margin.

While this has a more profound effect with a mech mod, you now see why it’s also important when using regulated. Don’t rely on a regulated mod’s safety features.
Oh I see then.
The Drop RDA requires 20.3 amps (as reported by the Aegis) so should I stop using it on the Aegis with the sony vtc6 batteries? (according 2 last link, vtc6 batteris are safe around 20 amps)

Last edited:
Also, my Aegis Legend (american flag version) looks sick with the atomizer it comes with. Unfortunetely, the flavor is garbage on this atomizer for some reason.
I already switched the coils (to a quad mesh coil it came with, 0.40 something ohms) and the vapor flavor is still garbage.
Now I'm looking for an atomizer thats big, black and bulky (to match the aesthetics of the geekvape alpha tank it came with)
But the hellbeast tank on the elaf is outputting really good flavor and cloud production, im really impressed with it.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Oh I see then.
The Drop RDA requires 20.3 amps (as reported by the Aegis) so should I stop using it on the Aegis with the sony vtc6 batteries? (according 2 last link, vtc6 batteris are safe around 20 amps)

Can't specify all the related math, but remember, the Aegis Legend runs two batteries.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Also, my Aegis Legend (american flag version) looks sick with the atomizer it comes with. Unfortunetely, the flavor is garbage on this atomizer for some reason.
I already switched the coils (to a quad mesh coil it came with, 0.40 something ohms) and the vapor flavor is still garbage.
Now I'm looking for an atomizer thats big, black and bulky (to match the aesthetics of the geekvape alpha tank it came with)
But the hellbeast tank on the elaf is outputting really good flavor and cloud production, im really impressed with it.

OBS Engine for dual coils, or Engine Nano if you can stand single coil. Big, black, beaut! :)

I have a Freemax Fireluke on my Legend.

Eta: Lots of people really like the Reload RTA, this might be a good spot for one if you don't mind spending the money.

Last edited:

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OBS Engine for dual coils, or Engine Nano if you can stand single coil. Big, black, beaut! :)

Eta: Lots of people really like the Reload RTA, this might be a good spot for one if you don't mind spending the money.
Love my Nano, and another that got very good reviews was a Kaees Solomon 2 (single-coil) as well as the big brother dual.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Oh I see then.
The Drop RDA requires 20.3 amps (as reported by the Aegis) so should I stop using it on the Aegis with the sony vtc6 batteries?
What do you mean (as reported by the Aegis) ?
The legend has 2 batteries in series. So the amps = that of 1 of the batteries and the volts of both added together.
Some mods have buck and boost, and I believe some only have boost. A mod is a transformer. It can boost amps, using volts I believe. It's complicated unless it's fully understood and I can't say that I do. But I know boost helps supply amps.
Here vaping's expert on this subject.
upload_2019-4-6_20-38-56.png

It's not the atomizer than requires amps. The coil(s) do.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Zeus X RTA
lx.png

Freemax Mesh Pro is a big tank that takes coil heads and has great flavor.
FREEMAX.jpg

You sure the obs and fireluke are big?
the alpha tank has 41mm of height, i know the diameter is 25mm too, which I can see for the obs engine

idk if im gonna buy reload rta, im gonna stick with rda's for now

VU Sponsors