Become a Patron!

Should I switch to Max VG?

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys I got my feet wet today and mixed my first two 5ml samples..the first one was 70/30 the second was 80/20..the 70/30 was unvapable (way too harsh) the 80/20 isn't much better..another dud. It's got me thinking I should go 90 or as close to 100 VG as possible. I have no problems with 70/30 of commercial ejuice but this DIY 70/30 is not working out..or should I not give up and try steeping maybe? I'm all eager beaver to get something vapable but I'm willing to wait if need be.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My guess is the vg/pg ratio isn’t your problem and that the harshness is coming from the flavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My guess is the vg/pg ratio isn’t your problem and that the harshness is coming from the flavors.

I did start pretty high the 70/30 was 10% Grape candy and the 80/20 was 8% blueberry..I like the blueberry flavor it's just a little rough

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I did start pretty high the 70/30 was 10% Grape candy and the 80/20 was 8% blueberry..I like the blueberry flavor it's just a little rough

If those are tfa, they should be fine. Try them again tomorrow. If you don’t wanna wait, add 1% of a cream or marshmallow. Have you used your nic/vg/pg at all before now? Where did you buy them?

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh yeah, forgot you’re in Canada. Idk anything about that company

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mix everything Max VG because I don't tolerate PG very well. When the PG ratio is increased, I get a sore throat and it is too harsh for me. I think I have an allergy to PG so I don't add any to my juice.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With you making 80/20 and it being harsh I would lean towards the Nicotine or possibly Alcohol in the flavorings. I like to leave at least 72 hours of aging time at a minimum for my DIY and if a flavoring has alcohol I will let it air out for a while after heating.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Yeah always test your bases to find if they're duds. Let flavors air if they got alcohol in 'em, and shake the shit out of everything. Is your nic base VG or PG based? I find VG nic is a lot smoother but doesn't hold flavor as well as PG based, but that's just me. PG nic is also easier to work with as a beginner. Now this may be the problem or may not, but high levels of flavor I find need steeped, especially anything blueberry. Shake the juice after you make it and before you put it in your tank. That's about what I can figure. Grats on mixing your first juice, hope you can get to enjoying it :vino:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I'm really liking the vape I'm getting doing max vg with 10% distilled water. Since I'm using nic salts no th, even with the citrus flavors. Don't get discouraged Matty, we are so new to this, we'll get there soon.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Another thought I just had about the harshness is did you mix the Nicotine Percentage correctly? Making a higher Nicotine would also account for the harshness.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im using Amerinic 100mg PG based. I don't think I'm over doing the nic but i'll keep that in mind. I haven't done any tests yet with my bases and what not. I remember I bought "commercial" ejuice from these guys before and had to steep it 3-4 weeks as they dispense it with machines it doesn't come pre-bottled as far as I know. My concentrates and bases have their logo on it and everything.They have a factory/dispensary thing going on. There very well could be alcohol in the flavorings.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I just breathe my mixed juice for a couple hours or so. ELR flavor list will tell you if your flavor has alcohol. Has been an invaluable tool for me. I hardly ever post there, but love the tools. Wealth of recipes. Found some great recipes here on VU as well. Not to mention all the wonderful help I'm getting from VU members.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Im using Amerinic 100mg PG based. I don't think I'm over doing the nic but i'll keep that in mind. I haven't done any tests yet with my bases and what not. I remember I bought "commercial" ejuice from these guys before and had to steep it 3-4 weeks as they dispense it with machines it doesn't come pre-bottled as far as I know. My concentrates and bases have their logo on it and everything.They have a factory/dispensary thing going on. There very well could be alcohol in the flavorings.

You'll know when there's alcohol in your concentrates, you'll smell it. It smells like cheap vodka (which is what is used). As for that company's quality of nic, I have never used them so I can't say. Good nic should be very smooth to vape and not taste like chemicals.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What Nicotine Strength did you make because at 10MG for a 5ML tester it would only be .5ML of Nicotine.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What Nicotine Strength did you make because at 10MG for a 5ML tester it would only be .5ML of Nicotine.
6mg = 0.3ml or 0.28 grams hoping my calculations right im using ejuice me up and i weighed a ml of each ingredient to input the grams

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I think you just need to steep longer Matty. I'm impatient as well. My juices taste better today than they did yesterday.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think you just need to steep longer Matty. I'm impatient as well. My juices taste better today than they did yesterday.
I'm just grateful I didn't kill myself with the nic LOL I was reluctant to take those first puffs

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the 80/20 blueberry is a bit better today..just tried it out. I think steeping is crucial with this stuff

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I'm just grateful I didn't kill myself with the nic LOL I was reluctant to take those first puffs
lol I was the same way. Made 3mg for drip and 9mg for rta. Tried 3mg first and survived.:D I'm loving the nic salts I ordered. No th. The 9mg is great in Nano, and I'm still alive!:bliss:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
the 80/20 blueberry is a bit better today..just tried it out. I think steeping is crucial with this stuff
I mixed an Orange Pineapple before work yesterday, 11% flavor, And it was vapable but a bit dry. Today it is better, pretty close to what I was shooting for. Next time you get out pick up some distilled water and try it out. I did a 70vg/30pg and a maxvg/10% dw and really enjoying the dw mix more. Even with dw recipe is 77vg/23pg due to flavors.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I mixed an Orange Pineapple before work yesterday, 11% flavor, And it was vapable but a bit dry. Today it is better, pretty close to what I was shooting for. Next time you get out pick up some distilled water and try it out. I did a 70vg/30pg and a maxvg/10% dw and really enjoying the dw mix more. Even with dw recipe is 77vg/23pg due to flavors.
I have much to learn lol nic salts and distilled water are interesting ingredients. Whats are nic salts and what does the water do for a recipe?

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Nic salts you will have to look up for a technical answer. I ordered them because they are said to offer smooth no th vape. They delivered beautifully. You use them in the same % you would any other nic. I have 100mg pg.
Distilled water I read can ease the heavy chest/lung feel vg causes. Not being willing to give up high vg juices I decided to give it a shot. After 2 days it does seem to be helping. Could be my imagination. Do know I like that mix better than straight 70vg/30pg mix I made. Ingredients incorporate much easier with dw mixes as well. So much easier, so less shaking.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think steeping is crucial with this stuff

Aging and infusion is required for all e-liquids even flavorless in my opinion. Mixing with an electric mixer and heating will speed up the process and I can have e-Liquids ready to vape in 3-4 hours time but it is still better after a minimum of 3-4 days.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hey guys I got my feet wet today and mixed my first two 5ml samples..the first one was 70/30 the second was 80/20..the 70/30 was unvapable (way too harsh) the 80/20 isn't much better..another dud. It's got me thinking I should go 90 or as close to 100 VG as possible. I have no problems with 70/30 of commercial ejuice but this DIY 70/30 is not working out..or should I not give up and try steeping maybe? I'm all eager beaver to get something vapable but I'm willing to wait if need be.

If your vaping style is DL, the more PG used will hit you harder than MTL type vaping.
No problems for me at 70/30VG, 3mg, with MTL only.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Make a small batch of just 70/30 VG/PG. Run that through whatever you got. If its fine add the nic level. If thats fine, your flavor probably have to settle down. There is a whole thread about process of elimination.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/finding-the-problem-when-your-diy-tastes-bad.88262/

I did the test this morning. 70/30 0mg smooth as can be 70/30 6mg not as smooth but just by a bit..My bases are good to go I'll have to experiment with my flavorings and steeping. I appreciate all the help. Thank you guys.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I did the test this morning. 70/30 0mg smooth as can be 70/30 6mg not as smooth but just by a bit..My bases are good to go I'll have to experiment with my flavorings and steeping. I appreciate all the help. Thank you guys.
Good deal. Have you revisited the blueberry? Alot of people seem to like that one.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good deal. Have you revisited the blueberry? Alot of people seem to like that one.
I made that 80/20 blueberry three days ago. I didn't let it steep per say. I just left it in my RTA over the three days and tried it each day. 1st day was terrible 2nd and third day still pretty bad not much difference between them..I think I like the flavor at 8% it's just harsh. I was thinking of making an actual 50ml batch and steeping it for a week and hope for the best. I'm still tryna figure out the best way to test things and get to making actual bottles of stuff. waiting 3-4 weeks to find out something sucks or is good and then waiting another 3-4 weeks for a real batch is a little frustrating lol I have no ejuice to vape during this process. just these little testers as I go along. I'll be patient tho I know it'll be worth it once I understand what works more.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
I made that 80/20 blueberry three days ago. I didn't let it steep per say. I just left it in my RTA over the three days and tried it each day. 1st day was terrible 2nd and third day still pretty bad not much difference between them..I think I like the flavor at 8% it's just harsh. I was thinking of making an actual 50ml batch and steeping it for a week and hope for the best. I'm still tryna figure out the best way to test things and get to making actual bottles of stuff. waiting 3-4 weeks to find out something sucks or is good and then waiting another 3-4 weeks for a real batch is a little frustrating lol I have no ejuice to vape during this process. just these little testers as I go along. I'll be patient tho I know it'll be worth it once I understand what works more.

Could just be me, but I find FW blueberry really weak and kinda lame. It doesn't have the flavor on it's own to be anything worthwhile to me. I know not many like FA bilberry, but i find ~.5% FA bilberry 1% TFA blueberry candy and 6% FW Blueberry is the only way i can actually enjoy FW blueberry, might just be my tastes though.

Side note: Blueberry needs a good steep to lose that perfume-y taste.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Maybe make a 30ML bottle so you can shake it. You probably dont want to shake an RDA vigorously. These mixing woes do go away. Hang in there.

I started diy in march. I almost gave up. I couldn't get anything right. Six months later and I can make alot of wonderful things.

I used to run out of juice all the time. I live way out in the woods. I mean hard up! I would use a needle bottle and try to get every single drop out of empties. I'd have to drive an hour to shell out $23 for a 30ML bottle or very mediocre juice. Thank god I found this forum.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Maybe add doughnut or custard to the blueberry. I'm discovering a smidge of something sweeter makes fruits blossom. Not a clue what % to recommend. Got up this morning and hit my Orange Pineapple and damn if the shisha orange hasn't completely disappeared. Luckily I have about 6 other oranges to play with.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Add like a cream or yogurt to the blueberry with some vanilla, it is rather tasty.

EDIT just caught it :facepalm:

Last edited:

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If thats the case just buy a gallon of 3 mg Vg and just vape it like that. Nicotine river sells it cheap as possible. Its some god stuff. I used to make juice like that.

VU Sponsors