Become a Patron!

Sigelei firing 352 watts

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So i got a Mephisto clone with a very protrudind 510 pin, i placed a 0.12 build on it, set my Sigelei for 90 watts and it happened. Sigelei read 0.4 ohms and 6.5 volts. 6.5 volts to a 0.12 build means my 150w Sigelei was actually firing at 352 watts. Anyone had this happen? Rather worrying, IMO. I believe it had something to do with the spring loaded pin going too far in and giving false readings. Mod and batteries are all fine.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'd rather check the connections of the coil's wires to the posts. They might be loose, causing the misreading of the resistance.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nope, they were all fine and snug, and my ohm reader agreed.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I seriously doubt the Sig was firing 352 watts. More like 90 watts into .4 Ohms. The Sig will fire the calculated volts into the load to achieve the setting in watts. Try a .2 or .3 Ohm setup and check the volts/watts.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yes, it will fire whatever volts necessary to get the right watts set by the user. But if it thinks it firing a 0.4 ohm coil when in fact its firing a 0.12 ohm coil, the wattage will be something else than what the screen tells you. It's limited to 150 watts, but if a glitch like this happens it can and will fire above that. This happens when the leads aren't properly secured or, it seems, if the 510 pin is pushed too far down by the atomizer.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
And 90 watts into 0.4 ohms equals 6.5 volts. 6.5 volts to 0.12 ohms equals 352 watts. Make sense?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes, but the mod is limited by the current it can ramp up. You're looking at 54 amps of current at 352 watts. That would fry the board and melt the wiring and damage the batteries since they are in series and limited to whatever amp rating a single battery has.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well, maybe so. All I know is it was way more than 150w.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The chip has a voltage, amperage and wattage limit. It won't exceed those limits regardless of what your calculations say.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The chip has a voltage, amperage and wattage limit. It won't exceed those limits regardless of what your calculations say.
So regardless of what the math says, this magical chip cant exceed its limits? Seemingly it can, but the chip did it unknowingly. The chip thought it was firing a 0.4 ohm coil, when in fact it was firing a 0.12 ohm coil. A glitch, thats what it was. Im actually impressed that the chip didnt burn, wiring didnt melt down etc.

What im trying to say, is that the chip limits its output, yes, but in this instance it did what it thought was right, because the ohm reading was all wrong. And doing so it exceeded the limits, and it was able to do so because it didnt know it was a 0.12 ohm coil.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you've ever watched any of Busardo's regulated device reviews, he shows devices hitting their limits. It doesn't matter what the device thinks it's firing. The output is regulated. It may not receive proper input regarding the attached resistance, but it still knows what it's outputting. It will not output past it's limits. The device will cut power in order to keep from exceeding its limits regardless of what the display says. It's not magic. It's electronic circuitry doing its job. Just because you don't believe these regulated chips don't actually regulate their output doesn't mean they don't.

SteveZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Resistance is futile.
That's funny :D

Something like this happened to me once when I switched from a 1.2 ohm to a 0.6 ohm tank. For a second my Sigelei thought it still had the 1.2 ohm tank attached and effectively fired at 70 watts when I only wanted 30. Still within the operational range of the device. It just wasn't within my operational range :eek:.

In this case the SX350 V3 150W chip has respective maximums of 150 watts, 7 volts and 40 amps. So Rommel didn't get 54 amps; I'm certain of that. Am I right in thinking he maxed out at the 150 Watts mark (35 Amps) and not the 40 amps? Put another way, am I right in thinking the board actively limits all three parameters individually?

@Rommel - the chip isn't magic. The 6.5 volts it showed was a statement of intent (granted based on a mistaken reading). It wasn't a suicide pact, however! When the chip actually put the 6.5 volts across the atomizer and suddenly saw way more current being drawn than it expected, protection circuitry would have kicked in to keep it from frying itself.

Mastervaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
having experienced a few different mods with this same problem, most usually, it was the connection to the device being uneven. All of my devices have an adjustable 510 connector. Adjusting the connection on my device, rather than my tank / rda, has remedied the issues with my IPV devices.

Also, a good cleaning of your 510 connections on both the device and the tank / rda could help.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The sig has a spring loaded pin so only cleaning is required. No adjustments are needed.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, the Sigelei fires all the way down to 0.1 ohms. Upgraded IPV3 fires down to 0.08.

VU Sponsors