Become a Patron!

Signs of improper wick setup.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now that I've got my 1st drippers, and a couple coworkers who are also new to dripping, I figure I should ask so we all know how to get a good setup. What are the signs of too much or too little wick? I'm setting my coil up, rolling cotton & threading through the wick. Most of mine seem to be good, but I get a couple that don't produce much vapor.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wick mediums and setups are always a topic of heavy discussion. I use both cotton and cellucotton atm and am still not sure what i like best. But that's not your question.

General consensus seems to be that cotton should be snug in the coil but still have movement. It swells when liquid is added. Other than that it goes all over the place. I tend to wick heavy because I drip on the go and want a little longer between drips. wicking too heavily will cut down on flavor and sometimes change it a bit. The juice in the wick gets heated/cooked several times while you're vaping. It can also cut down on vapor volume because the coils don't have breathing room.
Everyone ends up with their own style. You're gonna have to play a bit. Look at some of the pictures and videos and you'll see lots of different styles. This probably didn't really help but it's what I got.:)

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A couple times, I had juice popping & spitting up the drip tip. Is that a flooding issue? I didn't pay attention to when it was happening, I'm sure it's something on me. But it would happen intermittently on the same coil & wick.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get that too. Juice gets on the center post or screw and boils. At least that's the best I can figure.

that coil may be hotter than others. Lower ohm?

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It usually depends on your coils and on your particular RDA/RTA. But the one thing that has always been consitant for me is that if I use to much I'll end up with a slight cotton taste to my vape.

The one thing I can say for certain is to not roll your cotton to tight. I found that lightly rolling the side your threading threw your coil and leaving the tail end kinda fluffy works great for me.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
make sure your fibers are aligned too. unroll the cotton ball and it should give you a nice long strip of cotton all fiber aligned, then tear some off of that and roll it. you want it snug but not too tight like ace said and what i do is cut the ends short enough to where you can get the tip of the wick going straight into the juice well. you have to curl the ends and just put them on the deck. doing it this way allows for air to pass under the coil and juice feeds into the ends of the wicks. ive found this to be the best way

here is my coil right now:

IMG_0190.png

VU Sponsors