Become a Patron!

Silicone adhesive?

Ok...

So I am currently using the iJoy RDTA 200W Box Mod, I am LOVING this mod but have now started with what seems to be a common issue... leaking from the "leakproof tank".
I have fully disassembled the mod and I believe it is coming from the seal that sits between the top of the tank and the metal housing, the whole seal sits inside a groove on top of the tank and is firmly snug apart from one small gap where no matter how much I clean, dry, and push the seal back into place, it lifts within seconds before I have even got the housing back in place.

iJoy have been contacted and are useless, I have searched the web for a replacement and it appears nobody sells them, so that's lead me to here...

I recently found a video on YouTube where the guy uses Silicone Adhesive to firstly stick the seal in place, then he puts a thin layer over the seal and replaces the housing so there is a better and tighter connection between tank and the housing, which are now essentially stuck together by silicone adhesive...

I was just wandering what Silicone Adhesive would be suitable for this job, I have read about temperature ranges, toxicity, if it's food safe, safe around juices, etc....

I'm lost, there are so many available!

What would you recommend, I love the mod other than this, so getting rid is not an option haha!!!

Thanks!

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure where to get it, but medical grade silicone is available. This should have no solvent that is hazardous. Many silicones have solvents that may be harmful or corrosive.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't use glue... go get new orings.... when you have bad seals ORINGS and insulators you replace the seals you don't introduce a potential toxin to the mix.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

If the seal was able to be purchased I would do so without even considering this option, but the seals are not available to purchase, I have contacted numerous vape stores, both online and actual shop, I have also contacted iJoy...

So failing this, what other option have I got?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Options are pretty obvious being 1st to replace the tank or hit an auto parts store for suitable o-ring but using Silicone is really not a good idea.

Options are pretty obvious being 1st to replace the tank or hit an auto parts store for suitable o-ring but using Silicone is really not a good idea.

Ok...

Firstly, the tanks is not sold as an individual in the uk, the mod is a box mod, tank is built in....

Secondly, its not an O ring, if it was, I have plenty, it's an odd shape...

I'll find the link for the YouTube video, you need to fast forward to around 20 minutes, maybe then you will understand it's not that obvious....

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Also, check out industrial supply houses.

They usually have a decent selection of O-rings in different material including silicon and can special order them but you might have to purchase 10 or 20 O-rings if they need to order them in.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I personally would never want any kind of silicon in contact with my juice.
IMO, time to get a normal mod that's not as much of an oddball so you can use the million different 510 connection attomizers available to you.
Not only are you not fucked when a proprietary oring takes a shit, you can experience more than one attomizer.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Silicone for aquariums should be ok. Let it cure well before using. All silicone sealant I have seen gives of a vinegar type of smell when curing which prolly would not taste well.

Aquarium silicone sealant is designed to not be toxic to sensitive aquarium fish.

Last edited:

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most readily available silicones should be okay to use once they have cured. The problem is the solvents before they are completely cured. The smell many give off is acetic acid (acetone-based solvents). Once the silicone has fully cured 2-4 days there will be no remnant of acetic acid. The silicone can be washed off and is safe to use. The trick is to make sure they are fully cured and washed before using.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Dude the "tank" is part of the mod, how exactly is he going to change it....and wanna guess what some of the o rings we use are made from...here's a hint, it's silicone

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still, a oring is not going to break free in your tank. If it were metal sandwiching the silicon, slight maybe but putting that thing in your pocket will move that plastic tank and loosen the silicone bead over time if not the first time in your pocket.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Find a supply house or dealer that sells pressure washers, they will have o-rings, bring the bad one with you so they will be able to match it. ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Find a supply house or dealer that sells pressure washers, they will have o-rings, bring the bad one with you so they will be able to match it. ;)
The oring in question is an oddly shaped gasket that seals the top and bottom sections together in the mod with a built in squonk tank.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still, a oring is not going to break free in your tank. If it were metal sandwiching the silicon, slight maybe but putting that thing in your pocket will move that plastic tank and loosen the silicone bead over time if not the first time in your pocket.
Silicone sealant in it's cured form is not very dangerous. And it will not suck up thu wicks.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you use the silicone then clean the surfaces well with a wipe down of isopropry alcohol. Silicone will not stick to a surface with ejuice on it.

I would use the aquarium silicone sealant to patch the problem.

Just let it cure for 24 - 48 hours before filling and using.

Otherwise the flavor may be bad.

VU Sponsors