Become a Patron!

Silver Wire for TC vaping?

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone tried this? Silver, like Nickel, is low low resistance.
It seems logical, so why aren't people using silver wire?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
More expensive? Lower melting point? Hard to find a good supply? Any unwanted chemicals? Durability?

Those would be my guesses/questions about it.

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
or simpler then all that, do they not coat your brass and copper connections with silver for better conduction?
just sayin

VapeRN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Silver is nearly a pure conductor. That'd basically be like shorting your batteries, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This is just like the whole Platinum crap that Freakshow Tiny has and other mods...Its not worth the money and Im sure it tastes no better then SS...SS is one of the Only TC's that are worth the price and has the least amount of danger using it, also has a great taste (if any)

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Next time I'm in an experimenting mood, I might buy some pure silver wire and test it. I'm surprised there's not much info about silver wire Vape coils...

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Next time I'm in an experimenting mood, I might buy some pure silver wire and test it. I'm surprised there's not much info about silver wire Vape coils...
I used to work with silver wire a lot. At $22/inch I doubt it's financially viable!

kismetcapitan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
silver wire would be a nightmare for two reasons:
- silver tarnishes and reacts with everything, it seems like. Ever polish silverware (made of silver) that had only been in storage? That's reacting with just the air in your house. Imagine what it'll react with when heated and cooking juice. You'll have a very black coil very quickly....
-....that is, if you got it to heat in the first place. A vaping wire needs to have some resistance in order to get hot enough to cook juice into vapor. Silver's resistance is so low that you'd have to do like 50 wraps of 34g wire to get 0.1ohms.

Now platinum, that's the future of wire awesomeness. It's like the best of titanium and SS316L, in a wire that cannot oxidize at any temperature. So not only does it not tarnish and turn dark, glowing a platinum coil red hot burns off any gunk present and the wire becomes as shiny as the day it was born. You can reuse the same coil endlessly, and it's easy to uncoil and recoil into whatever you want.

domct203

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
silver wire would be a nightmare for two reasons:
- silver tarnishes and reacts with everything, it seems like. Ever polish silverware (made of silver) that had only been in storage? That's reacting with just the air in your house. Imagine what it'll react with when heated and cooking juice. You'll have a very black coil very quickly....
-....that is, if you got it to heat in the first place. A vaping wire needs to have some resistance in order to get hot enough to cook juice into vapor. Silver's resistance is so low that you'd have to do like 50 wraps of 34g wire to get 0.1ohms.

Now platinum, that's the future of wire awesomeness. It's like the best of titanium and SS316L, in a wire that cannot oxidize at any temperature. So not only does it not tarnish and turn dark, glowing a platinum coil red hot burns off any gunk present and the wire becomes as shiny as the day it was born. You can reuse the same coil endlessly, and it's easy to uncoil and recoil into whatever you want.
Very interesting.....

Please share your source of platinum wire that you used for these coils you tested.

Any pictures to go along with your test?

Dom

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
lol, $60 for 6 inches of 24 gauge platinum.
Think I will stick with non-TC kanthal for now. Even being disposable, it is still more cost effective.
A few 100ft rolls will last a lifetime and costs under $20

kismetcapitan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Very interesting.....

Please share your source of platinum wire that you used for these coils you tested.

Any pictures to go along with your test?

Dom

riogrande.com - go with the 24 gauge, which is the thinnest that they carry.

I posted a separate thread about platinum wire, which includes a couple youtube videos demonstrating how the coils self-clean completely when dry-fired.

kismetcapitan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Think I will stick with non-TC kanthal for now. Even being disposable, it is still more cost effective.

How much is your time worth? winding and mounting coils takes time.

Even still, the point isn't to be cost effective. The point is to find the best possible wire for vaping. A Ferrari isn't cost effective for transportation, but it exists because humans naturally want a superlative example of whatever we use, to at least exist.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How much is your time worth? winding and mounting coils takes time.

Even still, the point isn't to be cost effective. The point is to find the best possible wire for vaping. A Ferrari isn't cost effective for transportation, but it exists because humans naturally want a superlative example of whatever we use, to at least exist.

Time spent making coils? I don't change my coils every week like some people. I use them for several months. A few months ago I spent an hour or two making coils for 5 RDAs. If I use each for 6 months, then I wont need new coils until 2018. lol

I do see your point though.
Everybody has their own preferences.

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hohm Wrecker G2 can actually TC Kanthal...Ive used it myself. #GameChanger

Just turned low resistant .999 fine silver 26 gauge wire into a fine vape coil. Trick get a dual coil rda tank. Diagnol one 12 wrapped coil on a lock picking tool on opposite posts utilizing both dual connectors. I used a dead rabbit rda tank. I also have an smok x priv mod. Used the SS setting. Just make sure you manually put your ohms at 0.060. A lil practice you'll get it too

Attachments

• IMG_0033.PNG
    IMG_0033.PNG
    872.7 KB · Views: 35

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just turned low resistant .999 fine silver 26 gauge wire into a fine vape coil. Trick get a dual coil rda tank. Diagnol one 12 wrapped coil on a lock picking tool on opposite posts utilizing both dual connectors. I used a dead rabbit rda tank. I also have an smok x priv mod. Used the SS setting. Just make sure you manually put your ohms at 0.060. A lil practice you'll get it too
Haha, looks like you need practice. o_O

On the contrary I just made colloidal silver a compound praised by nazi Germans for anti viral properties. Titanium SS Kanthal ni c all bs af will definitely cause cancer. F you guy.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Haha, you can’t say “a lil practice and you’ll get it too” and then post a pic of a shit build. Fuck yourself pal.

The only reason I said f you is because as you state a gold contributor to vaping underground. How come no matter where I looked what I read everyone said it's impossible to use silver because the resistance is too low. Mr connoisseur where's your impute on such matters. Sounds like you want me to be happy with kanthal iron oxide rust and instead focus my attention on building a Mohawk vape coil. Big deal. Those coils burn more cotton anyways. Trash. So how about making a besmuth platinum coil and tell me how that goes. Cuz silver is solved. O it's actually 0.053 ohms or omega Greek sign. Funny how the Greeks knew about ohms before we did

VU Sponsors