Become a Patron!

single coil on 4mm posts atty.

Davidl41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Title should be single coil on 3 post atty. Two negatives two positives

Someone told me it is unsafe to use a single coil on an atty that supports 2 coils. This sounds like bs but is there any bit of truth to this? If so is it because the other unused post are sending currents back to the battery?

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
BS. The atty doesn't give a damn about the number of coils. I'd love to hear in person the "currents back to the battery" story. If there was even a shred of truth to it, why are there so many RDAs with single / dual coil AFC systems?

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
not only do people do it all the time but most RDAs have airflow options to accommodate only one coil. you should go back to that guy and punch him right in the nards.

Davidl41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I figured it was nonsense.
Since we are on the subject of dual coils, does the mod read it any different than a single coil? Say dual coil .500 ohm and single coil .500 ohms. What would I need to do different for single vs dual ( ex does one heat up faster or need more watts)

Im thinking my mod fires hotter than normal (Sig 150tc). So im thinking of using nickel using temp control or dual coil to fix this

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if you use two of the same coil, you cut the resistance in half, so it would read .25 instead of .50

typically i use more wattage to fire dual coils since its more metal and more power required to heat up as fast

Davidl41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks that makes sense. So a total ohm of .4 dual coil needs more wattage than a single coil of .4 ohm?

One setup has two coils: of .8 ohms = .4 ohms
Other setup one coil: of .4 ohms

The only difference is two coils has much more metal so its a hotter vape that requires more wattage than the latter?

Back to the original question. I said 3 post, but apparently its a 4 post.The rda I was using was the royal hunter. The reasoning was that current runs through the two unused posts and if the edge the metal cap that attaches to the rda base touches one of the post it could send current down into the battery.

To be clear I do not care about the conversation with this guy, he says it happened to him and his mod blew up in his backpack. Without using emotion and just scientific logic is there even a .1 percent chance of this happening because if there is I do not want to take that chance even if it is slim. Im still calling bs.. just need to cover my bases on the off chance he is telling the truth.

Last edited:

Davidl41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Jim are you saying he is correct? if metal hits the post, regardless if there is a coil or empty it will cause problems?

One thing I want to understand, the two unused posts are they sending current through it or only through the coil? If metal cap or tweezers touch a firing coil will that short the coil or mod circuit board (which one) at which point the safety feature kicks in?

At any rate its good that im learning more about the vaping :)

VU Sponsors