Become a Patron!

Single coil

First let me apologize if I’m in the wrong place. I’m new to the forum and really don’t know how to navigate here. I have been buying pre made coils at my local vape store, and want to start making my own. I bought a roll of 24g nichrome, and a roll of 24g Kanthal and have been looking at videos and researching how to make coils. I downloaded a coil calculator and made my first one but i want to make sure I’m doing it safe. The coil I made was a 10 wrap nichrome that reads 0.75 ohms but doesn’t taste that good. I’m trying to stay with simple single coil builds using a rx gen 3 and a pyro v2 RDTA. What do you guys recommend ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1) http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html
2) a Coiling tool.
3) I switched to SS316L years ago: 26, 28, 30 awg.
4) You MIGHT consider flat. compound "shots" of wire later.

In almost every case, you want a coil of 2-3mm. They work well, they wick well, they don't take too many turns. Further, when you use a regulated mod, all you need to do is insure you are above the low/short "cut-out". I ran coils of .7 to 1.2Ω for years. Nowadays, (on a yihi, dna and mechanicals), I tend to run about 0.2-0.3Ω. In my case, the lower ohms ramp-up faster, so I can have a fast, deep drag - and then off to the next project.

Right now the basium & recurve are reading 0.24Ω and 46w. I can vape this all day on the sofa.

I would like to stick with single coil, single wire Kanthal or nichrome builds. It looks like all the builds I see are alien and multi wire builds.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So? #4 was in your future. ni80 and Kanthal are a smart, safe entry - but ss316L has the same behaviors - mostly - as Kanthal.

Use the URL I posted, tell it the material, tell it the ID, set a SAFE ohms - build the coil. problem solved.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
10 wraps is a lot. Takes it longer to heat up and cool down. Try fewer wraps, your RX can handle it. Using the N80 a 5 wrap with a 3mm inner diameter comes out to 0.36 Ohms which is easily handled by the RX. The same specs with the Kanthal will be 0.48.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There is also an app called coil builder. You can do regular round wire, parallel or any of the fancy builds. Let's you choose the type of wire, wraps, ID, leg length. Just like steam engine. Just easier to use on your phone.

And if you are trying to stay above the .5Ω range you might want to grab some 26awg kanthal. That will lower the amount of wraps and you would have less surface area to heat up.

Tap'd from my iPhone XR

Last edited:

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find the web easier than "on your phone" every day.

And, 26awg will start you down the path of Wire Mass issues - so, caveat emptor.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
If you want to stick with thicker wire try ss in temp control otherwise I would also suggest using 26g. Still easy to work with but performs better with a regulated mod. You could try bypass mode with the wire you have.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Definitely 26 or 28g. Less ramp up time and overall heat retention. 24g running dual coils has worked out for me too. But i still prefere the 26 and 28. I strictly run ni80 too.

I bought some ss316l to give temp mode a try. Used the calculator and did a 5 wrap spaced coil at 3.2 ohms. Haven’t had much luck on my Wismec rx gen 3 on temp mode for taste, but tastes ok at 30 watts power mode. Any suggestions ?

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I bought some ss316l to give temp mode a try. Used the calculator and did a 5 wrap spaced coil at 3.2 ohms. Haven’t had much luck on my Wismec rx gen 3 on temp mode for taste, but tastes ok at 30 watts power mode. Any suggestions ?

You'll have a better tc experience if you download Arctic Fox firmware.
https://nfeteam.org/

Frictionluvr

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Get a drill some good swivels and a bunch of wire and with a lil practice you'll figure it out. I started building 5 months ago and I'm glad I took the plunge.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
First let me apologize if I’m in the wrong place. I’m new to the forum and really don’t know how to navigate here. I have been buying pre made coils at my local vape store, and want to start making my own. I bought a roll of 24g nichrome, and a roll of 24g Kanthal and have been looking at videos and researching how to make coils. I downloaded a coil calculator and made my first one but i want to make sure I’m doing it safe. The coil I made was a 10 wrap nichrome that reads 0.75 ohms but doesn’t taste that good. I’m trying to stay with simple single coil builds using a rx gen 3 and a pyro v2 RDTA. What do you guys recommend ?

Start with 28g 5 wraps(dual coil). 3mm id. Stay simple to begin. Get good at simple then add a new skill.

VU Sponsors