Become a Patron!

single vs twisted vs clapton

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
so this may seem a simple or even silly question but sometimes one needs to clarify..
  1. what benefit is there to a twisted pair over a single wire?
  2. what benefit is there to a clapton over a single wire?
  3. what benefit is there to a clapton over a twisted pair?
given the effort one must take to make these, as they were not always available for purchase, there has to be some justification for the making one would assume.. so like what is it ;)

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Surface area and juice channels. Twisted wire gives you more surface area = more heat = more vapor and flavor. Claptons just take that even further. The clapton wire will act like it's own wick somewhat, holding more juice in the channels of the wire, allowing more juice to be vaporized, which in turn means more vapor and flavor.

It's all about flavor and vapor production (and making really pretty looking coils too)

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thats a tough one @DED420 pretty much covered it.
As a personal preference I like at a minimum triple twisted coils but I also like the clapton.
I use the twisted coils a whole lot more than I do the clapton, I get a good balance between flavor and cloud and they last quite a while for me.
I think I have been able to get at least a month using the same coil. With periodic coil cleanings of course.
I find that I burn through juice a whole lot faster with the clapton lol but since I am going for flavor the clapton seems to be boss!

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As said, it's more surface area. And hopefully more vapor and flavor.

DED has a good synopsis here...

It's all about flavor and vapor production (and making really pretty looking coils too)

There's surely an ill defined line between production and silliness.
But finding that line is why folks still experiment. And get silly. :D

Now that we've found it again, there's no better thread to post this silliness to...

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/advanced-coil-builds-part-deux.152572/

:p:p:p

Spent

Member For 4 Years
I am trending back to standard coils for simplicity and longevity. Twisted and clapton seam to get gunked up more quickly. I guess the nooks and crannies or surface area is increased causing this effect as opposed to a slicker surface.

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As said, it's more surface area. And hopefully more vapor and flavor.
ahh okay, so basically the same result as me doing my 14 wrap 4mm ID verticals in my velocity, just a lot more prep work.. good to know will give me something to do with the two epic mistakes I purchased (30g and 32g Ni200) I can twist up a couple three strands of the 30 then clapton it with the 32

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am trending back to standard coils for simplicity and longevity. Twisted and clapton seam to get gunked up more quickly. I guess the nooks and crannies or surface area is increased causing this effect as opposed to a slicker surface.
I think I will revisit this as well and observe the difference.

A. Nuss Braun

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thats a tough one @DED420 pretty much covered it.
As a personal preference I like at a minimum triple twisted coils but I also like the clapton.
I use the twisted coils a whole lot more than I do the clapton, I get a good balance between flavor and cloud and they last quite a while for me.
I think I have been able to get at least a month using the same coil. With periodic coil cleanings of course.
I find that I burn through juice a whole lot faster with the clapton lol but since I am going for flavor the clapton seems to be boss!
I've just recently gone to twisted 24, and 26 guage wires...simple to spin it up, and it does'nt turn into an exercise in silliness and it wicks up well. Finally cut the head offa a S-S wood screw, polished the height of the threads down a little, and turned the end to fit my little coiler.

A. Nuss Braun

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Absolute FACT, brudda..part of the reason I'm turning my coils around a screw...more clean exposure, as well as heat dispersion across a greater area of cotton.

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to think Claptons were a waste of time, but after trying this method out, I can now make a foot of fused Clapton (2x 28g kanthal wrapped in 36g nichrome80) in about 4 minutes. Try just making straight nichrome80 Claptons with 24 or 26g cores and 32g wrap. Then, bump up the wrap to 34g and then bump up your cores to 26 or 28g. If you're not happy with that, switch up to 36g wrap. If you like it, use it. If not, or if it's heating up to fast switch to kanthal core, nichrome80 wrap. If you don't like nichrome, switch to all kanthal. Before you know it, you'll be looking for the next stage of wire building

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've just recently gone to twisted 24, and 26 guage wires...simple to spin it up, and it does'nt turn into an exercise in silliness and it wicks up well. Finally cut the head offa a S-S wood screw, polished the height of the threads down a little, and turned the end to fit my little coiler.
Those are the 2 gauges I work with for my twisted as well. I like to experiment with various style twists, try it out... You have tons of fun.

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ahh okay, so basically the same result as me doing my 14 wrap 4mm ID verticals in my velocity, just a lot more prep work.. good to know will give me something to do with the two epic mistakes I purchased (30g and 32g Ni200) I can twist up a couple three strands of the 30 then clapton it with the 32

are you using a regulated mod with temperature control? just a friendly reminder that Ni200 is for temp control only, as there is little to no resistance in the wire. at best you can Clapton some 26g Kanthal A1 or Nichrome with the Ni200 to burn through it.

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
In my experience (claptons and fused-claptons nothing more complicated), the flavor I get out of twisted and even just normal coils, compared to the claptons is almost identical. The vape with claptons is more dense and the clouds are bigger but the flavor isnt much better, maybe a little.
Im running a fused stainless clapton in the Diablo rta and a twisted stainless setup in the velocity, both are really dense vapes and outstanding flavor, the twisted steel is even better but those are massive 3,5mm 14 wrap serial coils.
It really depends on the atty and the wattage range you are working on. I tried a couple of claptons in the Billow v2 but it sucked, just crazy hot everything. Normal spaced or twisted Ti / v4a coils work much better in there imho.
Edit: Its also a matter of juice consumption, with claptons your tank/dripper will be dry crazy fast, whilst a normal or twisted build wont be as thirsty, to me it makes no sense to leave the house with a clapton high wattage tank which will be empty in an hour (plus it really bothers me to blow cloudz bro in public)

Last edited:

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In my experience (claptons and fused-claptons nothing more complicated), the flavor I get out of twisted and even just normal coils, compared to the claptons is almost identical. The vape with claptons is more dense and the clouds are bigger but the flavor isnt much better, maybe a little.
Im running a fused stainless clapton in the Diablo rta and a twisted stainless setup in the velocity, both are really dense vapes and outstanding flavor, the twisted SS is even better but those are massive 3,5mm 14 wrap serial coils.
It really depends on the atty and the wattage range you are working on. I tried a couple of claptons in the Billow v2 but it sucked, just crazy hot everything. Normal spaced or twisted Ti / SS coils work much better in there imho.
Maybe it's the juice that's being used. In my experience, I have put dual 2 strand parallel in my Griffin and Velocity and dual twisted in my Gemini and my Indestructible. It was pretty much a tie. I kept the parallel and removed the twisted and replaced them with simple kanthal Claptons. Claptons won in every way. Flavor, Vapor, and just goodness. Kept the Claptons and switched parallels with nichrome80 wrap fused Claptons. Flavor on the fused was much more pronounced and crisp. So, I replaced the Claptons with zippers. Fused Claptons were still better. So, I replaced the zippers with all nichrome80 fused Claptons. The all nichrome80 Claptons ramped up a lot faster and Vapor was insane. However, the flavor wasn't up to par. So,switched the nichrome80 full fused Claptons with nichrome80 cores and kanthal wrap. Fast (not as fast as full nichrome80) but dull flavor.

So, in summary, besides the transformer coil and possibly the tiger coil, I think that the fused Clapton with kanthal cores and nichrome80 wraps are amazing for flavor, Vapor, and (if you care about it) showing off.

I used 3 types of juices, all 80% VG to see if dessert, candy, and/or fruit flavors changed anything.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I only use stainless steel V4a and Titanium, in my opinion they beat kanthal and nichrome/ni200 when it comes to flavor.
Twisted 28g V4a is amazing in tanks.

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
are you using a regulated mod with temperature control? just a friendly reminder that Ni200 is for temp control only, as there is little to no resistance in the wire. at best you can Clapton some 26g Kanthal A1 or Nichrome with the Ni200 to burn through it.
oh but of course, my dual 14 wrap 4mm is done with 28g Ni200, TC is all I do anymore

VU Sponsors