Become a Patron!

Slight dark spot on battery

Chopkinsca

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With all my paranoia, I've been reading up on battery safety and such. I opened up my Evic Vtwo mini to check the battery and noticed a slightly darker spot near the text. I don't have a picture of it. With my paranioa, I'm worried about it. It's very faint, would a faulty battery be visible in such a way?

Chopkinsca

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, I dug out my camera and found some batteries.

This is what it looks like (I hope the image quality is good enough): http://imgur.com/a/AAiSl
The spot is under the upside down "25R". You can barely see it (It's blob-like).

I'm probably dumb for posting this at all.

Last edited:

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have some that look worse than that. Almost looks like mold on mine

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So it's safe to keep using it?

Idk mine work fine. Look at these lol

78ef5b8ca5f9e49ddc894c287f974b73.jpg

Chopkinsca

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow. If mine was that bad, I'd be walking down to the vape shop to pick up a new batttery.

Dexenthes

Unlisted Vendor
I've had this happen a few times before when I was re-wrapping cells. Sometimes moisture gets caught between the cell and the skin. It's nothing to worry about. If you feel paranoid about it you can always replace the heat shrink, but make sure your hands are dry when adding on the new heat shrink.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Idk mine work fine. Look at these lol

78ef5b8ca5f9e49ddc894c287f974b73.jpg
Are those Sony's? I remember reading about this happening with Sony batteries, I am not sure if anyone got to the bottom of what exactly was causing it, but it does seem to be an issue that plagues Sony batteries for some strange reason.

Maybe they use a different type of wrapping that causes this to happen?

And to answer the original question, that 25R looks fine to me.

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are those Sony's? I remember reading about this happening with Sony batteries, I am not sure if anyone got to the bottom of what exactly was causing it, but it does seem to be an issue that plagues Sony batteries for some strange reason.

Maybe they use a different type of wrapping that causes this to happen?

And to answer the original question, that 25R looks fine to me.

Yup, Sony's

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup, Sony's
Very strange indeed! I did see other people mention it, and when they took the wrapping off, the spots wiped off with a finger. I am not sure what it is, and no one else seemed to be sure either, but I think personally it is either Mould, but if it was that it would happen to other batteries too, or maybe the wrapper reacting some way with the metal?

All I did know though was that the spots don't matter- as long as your battery is not entering a beauty contest it is just a strange thing that happens with Sonys lol

Chopkinsca

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I took it to the vape shop so someone could see it better. He said it was just an air bubble or something.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Very strange indeed! I did see other people mention it, and when they took the wrapping off, the spots wiped off with a finger. I am not sure what it is, and no one else seemed to be sure either, but I think personally it is either Mould, but if it was that it would happen to other batteries too, or maybe the wrapper reacting some way with the metal?

All I did know though was that the spots don't matter- as long as your battery is not entering a beauty contest it is just a strange thing that happens with Sonys lol

Yeah it was a big problem with the VTC4 and VTC5 especially when high stressing them in a mech way back when. Happened more often during cold wet months of the year, the heat of the battery getting warm, then when everything cooled, the moist colder air would be pulled into the wrapping and condense, alot of this came from the vapor you were making around you. That condensed moisture collected and collected, then the flavorings and such still in suspension get darker and darker due to the heat of the metal battery casing. Another cause was over filling a dripper, the excess get under the RDA deck and mod top cap, juice seeped down the 510 connection to the battery positive, down into the battery wrap. This extra moisture also cause a bit of rusting, so there were a lot of contributing factors, at the time with the batch of VTC4 and 5s at the time, think they could have heated the wrap more to get it tighter would have resolved a lot of it, and doing the wrapping in a humidity controlled area during manufacture.

JBT81

baby empath
VU Donator
i found this thread cause this is happening to my VTC5As

thumbnail
thumbnail

if it's happening on the top or bottom of the battery that means it is a re wrap? the actual contacts on top/bot are pristine... its only the wrapping afaik
fml...

Along the body like that it is ok as long as it not melted or torn.
Tops and bottoms looking like that... re wrap.

i bought them at 18650batterystore.com

VU Sponsors