Become a Patron!

slow ramp?

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just my own little experiment, i took a Clapton coil at 0.4 and a A1 coil at 0.4 and tried each one on a parallel mod with two cells in parallel. ramp up time is slow and kills the cells faster with a Clapton. so it may seem the complicated fancy coils need to be used on regulated mods?

Last edited:

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It ramps up slow because it is a .4 and won't draw that many volts from the cells regardless if it's a tube or parallel...
That's more like a series build imo. A regulated mod might do you right also.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nothing about clapton is fancy or complicated.
You added a heat sink to the wire, yeah it'll take longer to heat.

You have to build low to get power out of a parallel mod.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clapton has more wire mass for the same resistance so it takes longer to heat up and cool down. To get a similar performance to the single wire you need similar wire mass which will mean using a thinner diameter wrap wire. You could also use one less wrap, won't have the same resistance of course but will have similar wire mass. Changing the wrap wire size / number of wraps means you can control the speed of the ramp up/down. Sometimes that is useful.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It ramps up slow because it is a .4 and won't draw that many volts from the cells regardless if it's a tube or parallel...
That's more like a series build imo. A regulated mod might do you right also.

Bingo. The resistance has more to do with it than the wire. On a parallel mod it's firing at less than 35 watts. Also to keep in mind, if the outer wraps are something monstrous like 34 or 32g then they'll certainly add to the ramp up time. Much smaller wires dont affect it at all, they only add to the performance. Generally speaking parallel mods are geared towards builds closer to .1 (or lower than .2) as to take advantage of the extra headroom on amp draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Incidentally - these builds were originated by people using mech mods as a way of getting high vape performance from a fixed battery voltage. On a mech you build lower resistance coils (increase the current) to get more power, on a regulated device you can just turn the voltage up.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Another way to speed up both the ramp-up and the cooldown is to pick thin Nichrome80 instead of thin Kanthal/SS for the outer wrap. It will ramp up even faster if you do the same for the core wire. Downside is the durability of the coil will suffer. But you can still dry burn it every day on a regulated as long as you remember to bring the wattage considerably down first, and don't let the coil reach such insane high temperature that the metal starts to melt. The beauty in all this IMO is it's yet another factor that you can play with when designing your next coil. I don't use Temperature Control (TC), always use Variable Wattage (VW) mode (or Volkswagen mode, as I like to call it... so you let the software in the regulated take care of the vape emission rate LOL).

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I should have added, this is x2 0.4 coils which is about 0.2ohms. either way tamp up (max temp) is quicker with single wire coils vs claptons/aliens etc etc. lowest I go with a parallel box is 0.15ohms. anything lower and I get nervous lol.

also what's best, loose cotton inside the coil or tight? I've always Scottish roll and squeeze that shit inside the coils... but I'm thinking looser might give me a better vape. I really like using my mech mods over my VW box's. but been having battery life and draw issues. I bought a goon 22 for my parallel box and hope I can get the best setup out of it.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
0.15 on a parallel box? You need a series box for that high of a resistance.
You're only pulling 14 amps from each battery.
I'm vaping on a 0.07ohm build right now and go even lower than that.

Start making fused 28g or 26g with 38g or 40g.

Back when I used cotton I tried a Scottish roll and it was terrible. No flavor at all.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
0.15 on a parallel box? You need a series box for that high of a resistance.
You're only pulling 14 amps from each battery.
I'm vaping on a 0.07ohm build right now and go even lower than that.

Start making fused 28g or 26g with 38g or 40g.

Back when I used cotton I tried a Scottish roll and it was terrible. No flavor at all.

really 2x 25r batteries with a 0.7 load? damn that's what 60amps from that resistance lol not possible. parallel batteries do not balance load the current. unless there is a circuit to balance it. the safest and lowest Anyone should go with two parallel batteries samsung 25r is 0.20ohms. maybe 0.16 after that your defying the law of ohms. I don't know whatever. I still need to play around with which coils work for me, sleepers, parallels, Claptons, aliens etc etc.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm using a quad parallel. Even on a dual parallel mod it's only 30a per battery. Not sure where you get 60a per battery.
The batteries are capable of more in half a second than the CDR says. No one hits a mod for 10 minutes.
I check my batteries with a DMM from time to time and the load is balanced.
I think you're getting series and parallel mixed up.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My average on a single tube is .08 - .12 so .07 on a parallel is no problem....

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think @CashNVape meant that it is 60A in total at a 0.07 Ohm resistance, not per battery.
The load is shared by each battery in parallel as we know, I do think there may be a little confusion here in regards to series/parallel and how they act in regards to amp load.

With a 25R, in a perfect scenario then your 0.2 figure is about right (it would be 0.21 to be dead on 20A at 4.2V), with a parallel build you can go lower than this safely though due to the way parallel set ups work.

I am not really a ultra high power mech user though, my builds are usually 0.25-0.3 on a tube mech, and that is plenty for me. I do go higher wattage wise regulated when I fancy it, and also if I am using a series mech, I find 0.65 to be the sweet spot for me.

@whiteowl84 , I think 0.15 would kill me on a series mech, that is if the batteries didn't first lol!

VU Sponsors