Become a Patron!

SMOK ~ AL85 - question about Temp Control

516_vaper_li

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I got the AL85 a week or so ago and I'm running dual Alien Coils 316L SS 28gx36g / 2.5 5 wraps on Wattage mode around 55w. Absolutely love the flavor and using Milk by the pound if anyone is curious.

So last night I decided to switch over to temp mode for the first time, wondered if the change makes a difference. Apparently it does, the flavor pops so much better.

So the issue.......

My ohms read out to .105, on dual alien. I'm guessing my strength wattage is 62w.
What does strength wattage mean on Temp mode?

The coil is set for TC-SS, .00105, Celsius at 315, which comes to 599 Fahrenheit
Is that too hot?

Seem like if I set it to Fahrenheit it doesn't fire, but it only does in Celsius.

What am I doing wrong?

Much appreciated

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alien Coils 316L SS 28gx36g dual - ohms come out to 0.105
316, the TCR is .00092, the watts is how hard the initial hit is, does not really matter where you set it because it is Temp regulated, 599 degrees in my opinion is too high, I use 440-500. Set the correct TCR and roll it to Fahrenheit.

516_vaper_li

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
316, the TCR is .00092, the watts is how hard the initial hit is, does not really matter where you set it because it is Temp regulated, 599 degrees in my opinion is too high, I use 440-500. Set the correct TCR and roll it to Fahrenheit.

Changed the TCR to .00092. Still not letting me take a vape in Fahrenheit, only Celsius

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Maybe lower the temp from 599. I know it says it can go to 600 F. 599 seems like a lot. I am generally around 440 when in TC.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
II don't have the Alien so this may be a dumb question but is the temp staying at 315 when you switch to F form C? If so you need at least 420F for a good TC vape. For dual coils I usually need to bump the preheat to around 80 -90W , or it takes too long to ramp up.
Also if you look at DJlsb reviews he finds some modes need a higher TCR value to be accurate temp wise. I'd suggest looking at his review of the Alien.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
So I got the AL85 a week or so ago and I'm running dual Alien Coils 316L SS 28gx36g / 2.5 5 wraps on Wattage mode around 55w. Absolutely love the flavor and using Milk by the pound if anyone is curious.

So last night I decided to switch over to temp mode for the first time, wondered if the change makes a difference. Apparently it does, the flavor pops so much better.

So the issue.......

My ohms read out to .105, on dual alien. I'm guessing my strength wattage is 62w.

The coil is set for TC-SS, .00105, Celsius at 315, which comes to 599 Fahrenheit
Is that too hot?

Seem like if I set it to Fahrenheit it doesn't fire, but it only does in Celsius.

What am I doing wrong?

Much appreciated
couple of things and mind you I don't have the mod but i have quite a few smok mods

wattage settings in temp mode are the initial starting watts when you fire, then the chip takes over from there and throttles it down to match them temp setting. the strength is a preheat option

technically yes it is too hot. most people vape around 400-480

I don't think your doing anything wrong. I know @Deucesjack has one and he said the TC on it barely works maybe he can chime in

also I don't think a single battery 85 watt mod is enough to power your build. dual aliens is a pretty hefty build for sure

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
couple of things and mind you I don't have the mod but i have quite a few smok mods

wattage settings in temp mode are the initial starting watts when you fire, then the chip takes over from there and throttles it down to match them temp setting. the strength is a preheat option

technically yes it is too hot. most people vape around 400-480

I don't think your doing anything wrong. I know @Deucesjack has one and he said the TC on it barely works maybe he can chime in

also I don't think a single battery 85 watt mod is enough to power your build. dual aliens is a pretty hefty build for sure
Yeah this is not a TC mod. Use it in power mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

516_vaper_li

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah this is not a TC mod. Use it in power mode.

I switched out the dual aliens for a single coil Tiger at .45 ohm. and now the TC is working, able to run on Fahrenheit now. like sir richard said a few posts up. maybe the dual coil build was is much for the AL85

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I switched out the dual aliens for a single coil Tiger at .45 ohm. and now the TC is working, able to run on Fahrenheit now. like sir richard said a few posts up. maybe the dual coil build was is much for the AL85
Not on mine. I run a lot of single coil tanks with SS. In fact a lot of people here think that's my specialty and for me the tc just does not work. The vape I get in tc is weak and very inconsistent.

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The AL85 might be rated to 0.06 ohm in TC, but I'd never try running a 0.105 ohm SS build in TC on any mod. The absolute change in resistance is so small to begin with (TCR is only 92) that expecting accurate reading from an inexpensive board is not all that realistic. Glad the 0.4 ohm setup is working for you.

So the issue.......

Is that too hot?

What am I doing wrong?

Much appreciated

Just figured out al85 on temp control
Tcr is for single coil
A single ss would be 92
So a dual would be double @ 184 tcr

The wattage strength is wrong too. My .25 ohm dual coil fires @ 40watts on wattage. But goes into temp protect fast on temp control @ 40 watts. Dropped it to 22 watts in temp control. Thinking smok has some internal readings wrong in the firmware on the al85. Was comparing the vape to a kangertech cupti in temperature control. With those settings i matched it at 195 degrees celcius with both units. The kangertech has been flawless on temp control. With these settings my al85 is working

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Agreed, in a well done implementation. I was reading early dna chips had the same issue.

There are no mods that need a TCR value multiplied.
There are mods that don’t have a good TCR implementation but those usually need 10 or 20 points added.

I've just recently posted this on some other forum and as I was reading this tread I thought it my be to some help to someone.
It’s been more than five month since I switched from cigarettes to vaping.And I feel really good.
Furthermore I believe that vaping also engages people to experiment to such an extent that it can’t be compared to smoking cigarettes in any way. It didn’t take me long to make my own coils with Nichrome80, Kanthal A1 and e-juices and I find it still as a very amusing hobby. But there was one thing that I didn’t try and it was in the back of my mind for some time. Finally, I purchased stainless steel wires and tried vaping in TC mode.
upload_2017-10-26_22-31-56.jpeg
So, I built my first pair of stainless steel coils with round SS316L 24AWG wire (wraps on coils should be spaced and not touching each other as for Wattage mode) mounted them on ADVKEN Champion RDTA. As well I did some reading before setting up SMOK G-PRIV mod.

TC settings:

Material: Stainless

Preheat: 40W

Adj-TCR: 0.00092 (value for SS316L wire and should not be changed)

I screwed the atomizer on the mod and measured the coils’ resistance as usual, set the temperature on the mod to 200oC. Since then vaping on G-Priv is fabulous. Taste is very good and clear, no burning, not even if the juice runs out.

So far so good, so I built some more coils on different RDAs and RDTAs and could not be happier than that until I tried my other mods with the same settings.

So, I tried SMOK Alien and two SMOK AL85 (both the same software version). To my disappointment they didn’t perform as I’ve expected and they’ve been switching to protection mode much too soon and there wasn’t much vape coming out.

It didn’t take long I realized that resistance readings on different mods with the same atomizer (it has to be room temperature) are showing different numbers.

By this time I had six atomizers with SS coils and measured their resistance on all the mods. You can see the results in the table down below.
upload_2017-10-26_22-33-9.png
I assumed the resistance readings on my SMOK G-Priv are correct since it was working perfectly with all atomizers so, I decided to refer to it as the reference mod. Interestingly enough it is the only mod I was experimenting with that doesn’t have (ADJ OHM) resistance adjustment. Mods AL85 and Alien have this resistance adjustment in the settings menu and can be adjusted ±0.030 ohm which is actually for TC vaping more than enough to do necessary adjustments as I believe that this mods are built with less accurate measurement electronics.
The results showed that after initial resistance measurement (coils must be at room temperature) my Alien mod’s resistance adjustment should be in average readjusted for +0.020 ohms, AL85 (black) +0.012 ohms, AL85 (red) +0.025 ohms. By using the same settings on all my mods and applying resistance adjustment to Alien and Al85 mods vaping on all of them is the same great experience. Good thing about SS coils is that they can be used in wattage mode respectively.

Well, that’s how far I’ve got with TC mode and the toys I can play with. I would really like to hear your feedback, experience and opinion about TC vaping. I love it. I didn’t know vaping can get that good.:xD:

VU Sponsors