Become a Patron!

Smok Alien 220 battery charging

So I just got my Smok Alien yesterday and also purchased a pair of Samsung 30Q batteries. Right now I'm charging internally via USB while I wait for my external charger to arrive.

I charge both batteries to 100% but the battery indicator never shows them full pretty much as soon as I power the mod back on. I'd say it's about 90% after they've charged to 100%. Is this normal?

Also this is kind of a noob question but how low should I allow the batteries to get before I fully charge them? I've read anywhere from when they have 25% left to 10% left. I'm just after opinions based on your personal experience. I figure it's kind of like a cell phone battery. I never allow my iPhone to die completely before I charge it.

Thanks for your input!

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The batteries won't be dead when the meter reads 0%. I think the cut-off on the Alien is 2.8V, which is still too low for my peace of mind. That's nearly the point where a li-ion battery is considered over-discharged, and no longer safe to use for vaping due to possible internal damage. Personally, I don't let them get below 15-20% on the meter. They don't have a "memory", like NiCad batteries, either. So you don't need to let them drain before recharging. 20%, 50%, 90%...whatever you feel comfortable with.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes when charging USB I don't think it ever gets to 100%. Some mods do like the Skyhook but I don't think the alien does. And yes don't ever drain the batteries all the way down, sometimes they won't come back from being that low.

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The batteries won't be dead when the meter reads 0%. I think the cut-off on the Alien is 2.8V, which is still too low for my peace of mind. That's nearly the point where a li-ion battery is considered over-discharged, and no longer safe to use for vaping due to possible internal damage. Personally, I don't let them get below 15-20% on the meter. They don't have a "memory", like NiCad batteries, either. So you don't need to let them drain before recharging. 20%, 50%, 90%...whatever you feel comfortable with.
LOL I freak out when it gets to like 45%. I'm like, I gotta charge this now!!!! I do the same on my Kindle :teehee:

I don't know how anyone can let their batteries get down to 20%. If my get below 45%, it won't fire the coil. I'm using Smok V8 Baby Beast q2 0.4 ohm coils that work best between 55 and 65 watts. I just purchased four LG HG2 batteries that had about a 50% charge on them. I started the charge on a usb port and then moved it to a charger and it still took about 6 hours to charge. What is the output voltage of a usb port or do they vary machine to machine? The a/c charger wasn't any faster than the usb. I'm just hoping the charge lasts longer than the 25 puff batteries I just got rid of, MXJO 3000mAh 3.7 that seem to have failed prematurely.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't know how anyone can let their batteries get down to 20%. If my get below 45%, it won't fire the coil. I'm using Smok V8 Baby Beast q2 0.4 ohm coils that work best between 55 and 65 watts. I just purchased four LG HG2 batteries that had about a 50% charge on them. I started the charge on a usb port and then moved it to a charger and it still took about 6 hours to charge. What is the output voltage of a usb port or do they vary machine to machine? The a/c charger wasn't any faster than the usb. I'm just hoping the charge lasts longer than the 25 puff batteries I just got rid of, MXJO 3000mAh 3.7 that seem to have failed prematurely.
USB ports can vary from fractions of a volt to 5V. Doesn't matter though, since the mod will only use whatever voltage the chip accepts; 0.5V for the Alien, IIRC. So yeah, onboard charging takes awhile. And the higher the mah of the batts, the longer it takes. I charge externally @1V. Still takes around 3hrs to charge a pair of HG2s from cutoff on my Alien.

VU Sponsors