Become a Patron!

Smok Alien 220w is pretty awesome

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey everyone:) First post, i'm new here:) Guess it was time to stop the lurking as i have a question for all the Alien fans here :)

I finaly received my alien yesterday. the only thing i am having problems with is the TC mode. This surprised me because that is the reason i upgraded from a Joyetech Cuboid 150-200w.

What i'm experiencing is inconsistend temperature. Sometimes it fires very hard, the next time it fires very lightly. Sometimes i can hardly get decent vapor and 2 second later the vapor blows me two feet backwards. Its not the rampup time. It does this when chainvaping too while the coil is still hot from the previous puff. I have experimented with the TC setting for SS and moved it anywhere between 88 and 110.

It seems it does not detect the proper Ohmage. i have replaced my coil and triple checked if all screws are tightened.

I'm running dual clapton coils 26/32ga 5 wraps each on 3.5mm in a griffin 25 plus tank. (i didnt fall for the mini beast, coz of tank size)

Anyone have a clue about this TC thing?

Another question. Do the newer aliens come with a screen protector or not, i thought i'd seen a tube review saying so.

My alien came with none, and firmware 1.2.1. Which i upgraded to 1.2.2 myself.

Regards,
Trail.
It was the update that screwed up the TC for SS. Many have noted an issue like you describe since performing that update.

Smok is supposedly aware of the issue and working to correct. I notice occasional fluctuations myself and just remove the tank, press the fire button, & reinstall & it works fine again. Been an issue for 5 weeks now. Some have reverted to 1.2.1 until Smok issues another update to correct it.

Others have cleared the unit memory and reloaded the 1.2.2 and had it supposedly work a little better, but not as well as 1.2.1.

Trail

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am looking for the download link to 1.2.1 but they have hidden it quite well.. anyone know a link to download older firmwares ?

So far i'm sad to report that i enjoy my Cuboid on Billow v3 more, gives a more relaxed vape. I can just vape it while doing other things, without thinking about de vaping.

On the Alien i never know what to expect. It keeps surprising me, and its starting to annoy me bigtime.

Edit: sent a mail to [email protected] asking for a 1.2.1. download link.

Last edited:

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most got 1.2.1 back by copying off an un-updated unit. Not sure if any of them posted the original firmware for others to revert, but perhaps others might know.

Trail

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well so far no response from Smok. :S Good to know their customer service sucks this bad. Will avoid their brand entirely in the future.

TC mode on the alien simply sucks (air). It either spits and seems to give 220 watts, or i get 20 watts and almost no vapor. Don't have clue when it will give me vapor and when it won't. Playing wth the temp coefficient doesn't help and temp setting does'nt help either. If i set it to 100c (lowest) it will simply give me less vapor more often, but sometimes it will make it spit hot clouds too:) Setting it too high will make it spit hot vapor more often, and sometimes still not give me much vapor. So finding the sweetspot is impossible. It simply has a mind of its own. It does this on 2 different dual coils in the griffin 25 plus, and also does this with 2 different dual coils on the billow v3 plus. Using both tanks on the cuboid gives no problems. By now it's safe to say the Alien mod is the culprit.

Edit: i find myself not using my Alien, and enjoying the original Cuboid. It has less power but just enough for the EHPro Billow v3 plus. Simply a worryfree vape as long as i keep the resistance above .3 the TC works well, below it tends to poof back to wattage mode because it thinks theres something wrong with my coil. 2 of my friends have the same problem. (Thats why i went for the alien.)

Last edited:

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well so far no response from Smok. :S Good to know their customer service sucks this bad. Will avoid their brand entirely in the future.

TC mode on the alien simply sucks (air). It either spits and seems to give 220 watts, or i get 20 watts and almost no vapor. Don't have clue when it will give me vapor and when it won't. Playing wth the temp coefficient doesn't help and temp setting does'nt help either. If i set it to 100c (lowest) it will simply give me less vapor more often, but sometimes it will make it spit hot clouds too:) Setting it too high will make it spit hot vapor more often, and sometimes still not give me much vapor. So finding the sweetspot is impossible. It simply has a mind of its own. It does this on 2 different dual coils in the griffin 25 plus, and also does this with 2 different dual coils on the billow v3 plus. Using both tanks on the cuboid gives no problems. By now it's safe to say the Alien mod is the culprit.

Edit: i find myself not using my Alien, and enjoying the original Cuboid. It has less power but just enough for the EHPro Billow v3 plus. Simply a worryfree vape as long as i keep the resistance above .3 the TC works well, below it tends to poof back to wattage mode because it thinks theres something wrong with my coil. 2 of my friends have the same problem. (Thats why i went for the alien.)
TC in SS and ni200 works fine on my SS Alien. watt mode is great too. Are you using the most current firmware?

audaces fortuna iuvat

Trail

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes 1.2.2 thats why i would like to find v1.2.1 and go back to see if that helps. Can't find it anywhere though, and SMOK gives 0 response by email to my request for a download link nor any other suggestions to try. Their email is a black hole.

starlord1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm still waiting for the star wars edition to be commercially available before I pull the trigger.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's available on vaporworld.biz

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Lots of colors available at ecic City. $60 for mod only. Coupon available.
58ab8b612029cf0da84c419015d7f25b.jpg
ce422533cec8f4898ef8bcb34278ac4e.jpg

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
35c5123de18dda575204026accad308e.jpg

So for mod and matching Baby Beast tank it's ONLY $51 (or $55 with CA sales tax). They have a bunch of new colors (I'm looking at all you Hoarders) Including Stormtrooper.

That's a GOOD DEAL!

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.

Last edited:

BreSha6869

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't bothered to try the Baby Beast yet as I have a Cloud Beast and a Big Baby, but I am loving the Alien.

The firing bar is great and it feels great in the hand. I have a G-Priv too and the G-Priv reminds me of a Snow Wolf 200 (big and bulky) and the Alien more like a KBox 50 (compact and ergonomic).

The screen and menu of the G-Priv is much better than the Alien's IMO, but the Alien is much better to carry around. If the Alien had the G-Priv's screen, it would be perfect IMO.

bmclaurin

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey man, those are some nice skis. Where do you ski?
Brian Head, UT. It's an easy 3.5-hour drive from where I live in Las Vegas. We make it up here about 4 or 5 times a year. Conditions were great the past couple days until today. About 12 degrees with 65 mph gusts at the peak.

Bitter cold, but the Alien kept hitting even though my juice was so cold it was thick like syrup lol.

laceyn56

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
See I want to get a alien but I keep seeing stuff like people saying their light went out or the fire button fell off etc and I know it may not be common but I'm paranoid lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
See I want to get a alien but I keep seeing stuff like people saying their light went out or the fire button fell off etc and I know it may not be common but I'm paranoid lol

Only alien complaints I seen so far are the paint

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

laceyn56

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I may we will see. So many good mods out there hard to decide lol. However I do want a stick for easy on the go looking at the smok mega

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Every mod line has it's lemons. Of my 3 aliens, my only complaint is the bad paint on 1. No mechanical or electronic issues since I got them in Oct.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Glad the Alien is working out I've been waiting to see what problems arise and for the first batch to sell out. The only problems I've seen is fire bar falling off. (one person on the VU) and a few screen deaths. Not bad for the number sold. So I guess I'm on board as soon as the sites I order from restock. Don't need the tank (have 3) just the mod.

aoxomoxoa1825

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have to say although our time together was short, I loved every second. TC worked great after a little trial and error. Felt solid, no rattle and like the op said looked great out of the box way better than pics online (im not very photogenic either). No idea why the short happened but i'm chalking it up to defects happen and are a part of life, what matters then is the companys cs and smoks new us partner, madvapes out of nc, for warranty claims blew my mind. Charging in all "white knight" to rescue me from the dastardly dna! lol If your thinking about it id say jump, worst case they were a breeze to deal with concerning warranty.

Bigbob2322

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Eciggity has a 20% off sale going on now and I was going to pick up another one with a different color but there all gone. :gaah:

VU Sponsors