Become a Patron!

Smok Alien 220w is pretty awesome

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is a great little mod.

One thing I do not like about though and this is just nitpicking and isn't by any means a deal breaker is it kinda a lefty device.. If holding it in your right hand your palm is over the screen. I feel it is best used in the right hand by using it to thumb fire this way the screen faces out.

I use in my right hand holding it with the switch towards my palm. My index finger is on the trim piece above the carbon fiber panel. My thumb is on the trim piece above the display. You squeeze with your fingers just like you are holding the device with the switch the other way and the webbing between your thumb and index finger activates the firing bar. Ergonomically that is the way to hold and fire the device in your right hand. The angles of the colored accent trim pieces dictate it. When I hold the device in my left hand with the display pointing toward me, I find it is not as comfortable. When I use my thumb of my right hand to fire the device, I don't have as secure of a grip on the device. Try it...

schondar

Member For 4 Years
Can you lock the fire bar that fires the mod ? My wife is interested in the Alien but we are wondering if it would just fire while carrying it in her purse.

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I was holding out for the gunmetal,but for $37.00 I'll learn to like blue.

I got the same with the same intent. To make the transition easier, I got a blue tank for it, and a blue DT for my other tanks to keep everything matchy. But that price was too good to pass up, especially with a set of batteries. I won't know for sure until it gets here (scheduled for Friday), but it does seem like it photographs poorly but is a good looker in person. Guess I'll find out in two days.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got the same with the same intent. To make the transition easier, I got a blue tank for it, and a blue DT for my other tanks to keep everything matchy. But that price was too good to pass up, especially with a set of batteries. I won't know for sure until it gets here (scheduled for Friday), but it does seem like it photographs poorly but is a good looker in person. Guess I'll find out in two days.
Personally think it photographs almost identical however I don't see that as a bad thing.
I like the pics, I like the way it looks in person (object) and I like the mod.
If you don't like the looks in the pics, you may be disappointed.
With that said, please reply back Friday when it comes in to let me know your opinion.
Have the red and blue, want the gun metal and orange.
Since I'll eventually end up with 4, I like them.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Just got mine today. Felt like a steal. Man I love this thing. I wish the fsk board was in a mod like this
b2b1bc76d1fb14bb32b0565a0994d1bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

vapingunknown

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I read on vapenw I believe that smok was having an issue with the chips in the last batch of aliens. Anyone having issues with them? I was hoping ecig.com would get the gunmetal back in stock while they had the flash sale going on.

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I read on vapenw I believe that smok was having an issue with the chips in the last batch of aliens. Anyone having issues with them? I was hoping ecig.com would get the gunmetal back in stock while they had the flash sale going on.

I believe there's an issue (not sure exactly what) that requires a firmware update to 1.2.2 which is available for download. Mine comes in tomorrow so I can check at that time.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I believe there's an issue (not sure exactly what) that requires a firmware update to 1.2.2 which is available for download. Mine comes in tomorrow so I can check at that time.
I heard about misfire issues with the older firmware. I updated mine right away and have had no issues with misfires. The TC works really good for SS mode (I don't use Ti or Ni so can't test those) and the review versions where people complained about the loose fire button, is completly resolved. Mine feels solid as a tank. nothing loose or rattling, no misfire, smooth TC on SS wire. very good mod IMO I'll probably do a little write up on it once i play around with it a bit more

vapingunknown

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone else had any issues with the loose (double clicks) fire bar? I've watched a couple of reviews that complained about it.

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I heard about misfire issues with the older firmware. I updated mine right away and have had no issues with misfires. The TC works really good for SS mode (I don't use Ti or Ni so can't test those) and the review versions where people complained about the loose fire button, is completly resolved. Mine feels solid as a tank. nothing loose or rattling, no misfire, smooth TC on SS wire. very good mod IMO I'll probably do a little write up on it once i play around with it a bit more

That's pretty much what I've been reading and I'm looking forward to giving it a test run when it arrives. I would like it to handle SS well, as that's pretty much all my builds these days. I read somewhere that the TCR for 316L needs to be slightly adjusted, but I'll have to dig back and figure out where that was from.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
That's pretty much what I've been reading and I'm looking forward to giving it a test run when it arrives. I would like it to handle SS well, as that's pretty much all my builds these days. I read somewhere that the TCR for 316L needs to be slightly adjusted, but I'll have to dig back and figure out where that was from.
yes. by default on the mod is .00105 you should adjust to .00092 for SS 316L wire

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Also ecig has completely sold out of them lol
I'll probably buy a gold one next time ecig has them for cheap not in a kit

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone else had any issues with the loose (double clicks) fire bar? I've watched a couple of reviews that complained about it.
My gunmetal aliens fire bar has gotten a little looser over time, think I have had it for a couple of weeks. Doesn't really bug me but thought I should mention it.

It is a really nice mod though, real happy with it.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

My red one had no issues.
My blue one had the double clicking issue.
Here is info on how to resolve it, takes 5 minutes.
I cut a business card to size and slipped it in between the buttons and internals to prevent them from catching on the way back in.
I still used the tape on the outside though.

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
My blue one arrived today. It is better looking in hand. Not that plastic look from photos. I got lucky and no button rattle or issues on the fire button. Updated to 1.2.2 without a problem, changed the SS TCR to 92 for my 316L, and everything is perking along nicely. This really did turn out to be a solid mod, especially at the sale price.

gtrtech

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I wish I could have caught the gunmetal on sale
Would have been nice,this ghetto blue / purple takes a bit getting used to,wasn't the lettering on the side supposed to in blue also?
I was looking on the website in the kits they show a screen protector,I want to find one.
Also found this:
Please Pay Attention: The BLUE one can not be shipped to United States because it already been exclusive. But available for another countries. Thanks!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Would have been nice,this ghetto blue / purple takes a bit getting used to,wasn't the lettering on the side supposed to in blue also?
I was looking on the website in the kits they show a screen protector,I want to find one.
Also found this:
Please Pay Attention: The BLUE one can not be shipped to United States because it already been exclusive. But available for another countries. Thanks!
lol well i got a blue one in the us so.... lol

Rightgreasy

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
luv mine its blue had misfire issues but after update its fine, i also ordered a rebuildable coil for the mini tank and luv it, has anyone else used the rebuildable yet

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Also found this:

Mine came with a screen protector that was peeling back. I figured it was a protector just for shipping and yanked it off. It sure wasn't some nice clear screen protector like you'd put on your cellphone. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap cell screen protector and trim with an exacto knife to fit.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Mine came with a screen protector that was peeling back. I figured it was a protector just for shipping and yanked it off. It sure wasn't some nice clear screen protector like you'd put on your cellphone. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap cell screen protector and trim with an exacto knife to fit.
i think the screen protector only comes in the kit. doesn't come for just the mod. I seen it in some reviews

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
i think the screen protector only comes in the kit. doesn't come for just the mod. I seen it in some reviews

I would say that sorta makes sense, but a clear screen protector couldn't add that much more to the cost on the unit. Regardless, I'm not going to worry on it. If it were a touch screen I might be more concerned, but I can see I'll have to remember to not stick it in my pocket with keys. It's not exactly Gorilla glass.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This SHOULDN'T be the case, only the reviewers were to get the mods without the screen protectors.
The reason is the reviewers received USED models that were tested in-house first.
All retail mods should come with the screen protector regardless if only mod or kit.
I am unaware of anyone making a precut screen protector aftermarket.
However your COULD use one of these IF you are comfortable cutting it to size;
http://www.zagg.com/us/en_us/invisi...shield&pmt=e&gclid=CK7ntayf7c8CFQ-raQodtKAO1w

That's too funny. I just came across this video right before checking here. Thanks though!
If you cut a business card to fit and slide it in between the buttons and the internals while you have it opened up, it'll make it a lot easier to slide it back closed.
The buttons tend to drag across the internals and want to stop it, the card will prevent that from happening.

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got mine last week thanks to an amazing ecig deal Vapor Joes posted. It was either 30 or 40 bucks, no tank, WITH batteries.
I LOVE it. I'm still playing around with settings and tanks and coils. Right now I'm using it with Melo 2 tanks, Eleaf EC .3ohm coil, at just 31 watts. More clouds and punch at higher, but not as much flavor. I used this coil on my Ijust2 and it burned out in a day.

VapeS1000r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does the alien let you set wattage by second?

Or is the wattage fixed throughout the draw?

Or just a preheat?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Does the alien let you set wattage by second?

Or is the wattage fixed throughout the draw?

Or just a preheat?
Wattage throughout the draw and a small preheat option

gtrtech

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So how many got the ghetto blue models,and has anybody have the carbon sticker side plate loose?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
So how many got the ghetto blue models,and has anybody have the carbon sticker side plate loose?
I got the ghetto blue. Wanted the gold but couldn't pass up the deal. I actually like the color more on person then I thought I would. My sticker still looks new
4cc9d72461e575370e30e883ebad0d11.jpg

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Tarot Pro 1 : Smok Alien 0

Lol
Lol tarot pro looks awesome. I'm waiting for some reviews though. Vapresso doesn't have the best Track record but I am interested in getting one eventually. But that feature honestly I don't know why I'd use it.

VapeS1000r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol tarot pro looks awesome. I'm waiting for some reviews though. Vapresso doesn't have the best Track record but I am interested in getting one eventually. But that feature honestly I don't know why I'd use it.

I've gone into detail about the benefits of variable wattage per second.
Don't want to derail this thread, so plz check the thread I started on the tarot pro.

vapingunknown

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really wanted the smok alien kit but it seems the price has gone up a bit and no one really has the color I want in stock. I also keep hearing about the fire bar getting lose after a few weeks of use. so maybe I should go back and revisit some other dual 18650 mod options lol

VapeS1000r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does it make an audible click every time you fire the button?

Last edited:

vapingunknown

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't gotten one. I'm just going off reviews I've read and watched. Most say it because loose and rattles after a few weeks. My OCD would go crazy over that lol

VU Sponsors